Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2018, 08:30 PM   #1

Water pouring out of overflow hose

Help. Water pouring out of overflow tubing of my fresh water tank immediately when I start to fill it with fresh water. What could’ve the problem??? ( not my low point drain but the short vertical tube that’s adjacent to tank fill area). Typically when I fill tank it overflows to that to show it’s full then I stop filling. Had trailer for 4 years and no problem till now
Attached Thumbnails
FCB79EF4-876D-498A-8915-66451CAA1937.jpg  
bldngts2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:13 PM   #2

Is the tank full? What does the gauge read?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:14 PM   #3

This is a problem with the fresh water tanks. If left unattended, it will drain half the contents out of the tank. The answer from Jayco is that once you are done filling the tank (water is coming out the overflow) then clamp/plug the hose(s). This will stop the siphoning. Just remember that once the tubes are clamped off, do not put any more water in the tank. I have never received and answer indicating there is a more permanent fix.

Jim
Old 05-08-2018, 06:37 AM   #4

Tank gauge read 2/3 ...so other people thinking I filled tank too fast with high pressure hose. Caused a vapor lock type of situation. Could that be?
Old 05-08-2018, 06:39 AM   #5

How do I clamp that short tube? I’ve never had this problem.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:51 AM   #6

Personally, my first thought is a full tank. I would not fully trust the sensors. I would open your low point drain and confirm that it is empty. another option, as I see you have an open under belly, I have taken a very bright flashlight and placed it against the tank wall and slide it up and down, you can get a visual indication of the tank level.

Next try adding water a bit slower.

Next thing, inside the TT, find the compartment that has the gravity feed hose that flows through it. The overflow hose will be there too, take a quick look at it, it should come out of the top of the tank, and makes a vertical loop back down through the floor. Make sure everything looks right, and nothing is kinked. On my HTT, the gravity fill and the overflow are right next to each other.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldngts2003 View Post
How do I clamp that short tube? I’ve never had this problem.
I have two tanks on my 26BH and I have two overflow tubes. I read about this problem and installed these on each overflow tube. They're dirt cheap and work really well. I went with the plastic versions so that there wasn't a lot of weight dangling on the tubes.

You've just gotta remember to open them before you start using water.
Attached Thumbnails
Overflow.jpg  
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:55 AM   #8

My tank has two tubes. One is a fairly rigid 1/2" hose which I blocked similar to what was described by Johnny. The other one is a flat tube described as a breather tube by the dealer. They claimed no water would come out of this tube. Not true. For that I just got a large alligator clip, fold the tube over and clamp it. Seems to work.

Jim
Old 05-08-2018, 07:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldngts2003 View Post
Help. Water pouring out of overflow tubing of my fresh water tank immediately when I start to fill it with fresh water. What could’ve the problem??? ( not my low point drain but the short vertical tube that’s adjacent to tank fill area). Typically when I fill tank it overflows to that to show it’s full then I stop filling. Had trailer for 4 years and no problem till now
I put a valve on the overflow, but not one that just hangs under the trailer to get hit and broken off.

I started with 1" plastic pipe. I used the electrical conduit kind, the gray pipe because it can be heated and bent to fit and I don't know if the white pipe can, but the white PVC fitting work on the gray pipe and they both use the same glue.

I glued a short nipple to an elbow, pushed the pipe up into the vent hose and clamped it in. I then pushed the whole thing back up as high as the elbow would allow. I took a 90 degree sweep and glued that into the elbow as as to bring the end in line with the trailer frame.

I then glued a pipe into the sweep and ran it forward. Heated the pipe with a heat blow gun and shaped it so it ran directly under an open space between the propane take holder and the front edge of that compartment. I cut out a section of the pipe at that point and glued in a ball valve. A short nipple out of the valve and another elbow pointed down and then secured the whole thing to the trailer frame with steel pipe hangers.

A screen was placed over the open elbow end and secured with a pair of tyi wraps, and some black paint to match the rest of the underside of the trailer and it good to go.

Now WORD OF CAUTION:
you MUST have the valve open when yo fill your freshwater tank!

The rest of the time the valve can be closed. As for me I just close the valve as part of my checklist when I am getting ready to move and open the valve the rest of the time. The screen is in place to keep bugs and stuff out of the system.
dgodecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgodecke View Post
Now WORD OF CAUTION:
you MUST have the valve open when yo fill your freshwater tank!

The rest of the time the valve can be closed.
As for me I just close the valve as part of my checklist when I am getting ready to move and open the valve the rest of the time. The screen is in place to keep bugs and stuff out of the system.
I'd suggest that you should also have your valve open when you are drawing water out of your FW tank. Those overflow tubes also act as vent tubes to let air in as the water gets pumped out.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:13 AM   #11

I have heard that filling to fast can cause that problem too!Thanks good reminder.
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdawg View Post
This is a problem with the fresh water tanks. If left unattended, it will drain half the contents out of the tank. The answer from Jayco is that once you are done filling the tank (water is coming out the overflow) then clamp/plug the hose(s). This will stop the siphoning. Just remember that once the tubes are clamped off, do not put any more water in the tank. I have never received and answer indicating there is a more permanent fix.

Jim
How can an overflow tube siphon? The end in the tank would have to have some sort of dip tube that was below water level for that to happen. Doesn't the overflow tube originate at the top of the tank? I suppose some water could slosh out of it during travel, but siphon?
Old 05-08-2018, 10:28 AM   #13

Thank you!! Great ideas will clamp that overflow and fill slower today and see what happens. Thank you!!
Old 05-08-2018, 01:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
I'd suggest that you should also have your valve open when you are drawing water out of your FW tank. Those overflow tubes also act as vent tubes to let air in as the water gets pumped out.
My tank has a separate vent hose and overflow hose. I only close the overflow hose and only when I have a full tank and are on the road moving.

I can't say what all the rest of the 5th wheels have, or the TT, they may not have two hoses.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
How can an overflow tube siphon? The end in the tank would have to have some sort of dip tube that was below water level for that to happen. Doesn't the overflow tube originate at the top of the tank? I suppose some water could slosh out of it during travel, but siphon?
Mine sloshed out when I was traveling. Sometimes as much as half the tank even.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
I have two tanks on my 26BH

slightly off topic, i too have a 26bh with 2 tanks, but only have 1 fill inlet. (and 2 drain valves)

how are the 2 tanks connected? from a fill and water usage/pump point?

-Paul
(maiden voyage in t minus 10)
pgartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgartner View Post
slightly off topic, i too have a 26bh with 2 tanks, but only have 1 fill inlet. (and 2 drain valves)

how are the 2 tanks connected? from a fill and water usage/pump point?

-Paul
(maiden voyage in t minus 10)
This thread may answer your question: Tank Plumbing Thread (clicky)
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post

My last trailer would siphon out the water once i filled it too but the new one seems ok. I sealed the last ones vent pipe like others have said and opened it up once at site. I think there must be a dip tube into the top of the tank otherwise a siphon wouldnt work like Isaacs said. Never had the drive to remove my underbelly to check. easier to stick a valve on the end of the pipe Just remember to open it to allow air in or you will end up with no water coming out. I dont think the little pump is strong enough to make the tank collapse though if you forget. Not that i would want to find out.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:07 PM   #19

Found this cheap plastic drip valve at Home Depot for $2.87 that works great - https://images.homedepot-static.com/...1s-64_1000.jpg
tbwill is offline   Reply With Quote