Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-14-2019, 01:23 PM   #1

Water Pressure Question

We have an adjustable water pressure regulator at the water supply outside and keep it set to about 45-50 lbs to stay within recommendations in the manual. As you know, the water pressure for showers is just... OK, sort of.

Today we realized that we had a full freshwater tank and decided to offload some of it so I flipped the water valves to "dry camping", turned on the electric water pump and took a shower. YIKES, what a great shower! Just like at the old sticks and bricks house with what seemed like more pressure

So that suggests to me that I can go to town on the regulator when using city water and set the pressure higher with no worries (?). Or is there some other dynamic at play here when running off the tank with the pump that just makes is seem like it's pushing more pressure?

Dripping with curiosity...
Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:49 PM   #2

Sounds like you regulator is set low.. A normal RV pump has about 45 psi output and 3 gpm. Or is your regulator an adjustable RV regulator? If so that probably only has a 3/8 opening.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:54 PM   #3

I would suspect you are getting that 45 psi out of your water pump. That’s what they are set to deliver. When your on city water where are you putting the pressure regulator? Before or after your water filter? Try it both ways and see if your filter is restricting some flow. I’ve had both good and bad city pressure. I’m not sure I would ratchet up the pressure regulator past 45 psi.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 04:02 PM   #4

Thanks Guys. Now that you have told me what to expect from the electric pump, I've figured it out.

The filter and AND a water softener were downstream of the adjustable Renato pressure regulator and were knocking down the pressure a bit (more so the Softener).

I swapped out fittings and put the regulator on the output of the softener and still upstream of the RV. Also, the pressure on the regulator had crept down a few pounds over 5 months so I dialed it back up to 45-ish but below 50. City water is going full tilt into the filter and softener but that's oK. They can take it and we turn off the city water when we leave for errands anyway.

Pressure is still not full stix and brix but a lot better.

We don't boondock intentionally and the only reason we had water in the freshwater tanks in the first place was from a recent sanitizing, so we had never really used the electric pump before.

Thanks again all.
Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:39 PM   #5

The Shurflo pump that came in my Eagle delivers 55psi. While on city water I have my Watts adjustable regulator set at 55psi as well. RV pex plumbing can easily handle 100psi, it's the plastic fittings that are the weak point and I believe they're rated to 80psi.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:52 AM   #6

Angus, I also have an adjustable regulator and I always keep it set between 55 & 60 psi. We are presently at a CG where the pressure is only about 40 psi so the adjustable regulator isn't doing me any good. Our shower really sucked. Purchased a special shower head and it made a huge difference. Very reasonably priced and great reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Angus, I also have an adjustable regulator and I always keep it set between 55 & 60 psi. We are presently at a CG where the pressure is only about 40 psi so the adjustable regulator isn't doing me any good. Our shower really sucked. Purchased a special shower head and it made a huge difference. Very reasonably priced and great reviews:

Great description on Amazon-
"Take a deep breath and relax as the water pour down over you, then you can actually feel the Water Pressure Boosting. Great strength water pause impact to relieve muscle pain."

LOL
Old 10-15-2019, 10:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
Great description on Amazon-
"Take a deep breath and relax as the water pour down over you, then you can actually feel the Water Pressure Boosting. Great strength water pause impact to relieve muscle pain."LOL
That is funny.........a lot of Amazon products have those "interpretive" descriptions. After all, only about 10% of their products are made in the USA.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:57 PM   #9

Quote:
That is funny.........a lot of Amazon products have those "interpretive" descriptions. After all, only about 10% of their products are made in the USA.
LOL!! I know! I ordered my 5YO son a little robot on Amazon. The instructions were so poorly translated, I can't even tell what they're TRYING to say. We just figure it out...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:07 PM   #10

Quote:

Al, this shower head is Awesome!! Thanks

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote