Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-14-2016, 11:39 AM   #1

Water pressure stinks!

So at the beginning of the season I installed one of those Valterra pressure regulators. I believe it regulates the water to between 40 and 45 pounds, is that correct? Anyways, my water pressure is absolutely horrible with this thing. My trailer is at a seasonal site and I was thinking of removing the regulator all together and just regulate the pressure with the ball valve on the spicket

Also, do the screens in the faucet spickets unscrew from the spicket? I'm wondering if there is some sediment in there. I tried unscrewing the kitchen one from the spray head by hand but it wouldn't budge. Before I take a pair of pliers to it I was wondering if anyone has unscrewed one before.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-14-2016, 11:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
So at the beginning of the season I installed one of those Valterra pressure regulators. I believe it regulates the water to between 40 and 45 pounds, is that correct? Anyways, my water pressure is absolutely horrible with this thing. My trailer is at a seasonal site and I was thinking of removing the regulator all together and just regulate the pressure with the ball valve on the spicket

Also, do the screens in the faucet spickets unscrew from the spicket? I'm wondering if there is some sediment in there. I tried unscrewing the kitchen one from the spray head by hand but it wouldn't budge. Before I take a pair of pliers to it I was wondering if anyone has unscrewed one before.

Thanks in advance!

If you also have a water filter then I would remove the regulator.

I find that using a regulator depends on the campground. I always use one for a new campground to start with but there are some that I frequent where I don't bother.

When I have a filter on, I won't use a regulator though.

I've never heard of a water "surge" but I'm sure it happens.

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:54 PM   #3

I remove the screens in the faucets regularly to clean them out. It seems like there is almost always something in there. You can purchase a fairly inexpensive water pressure gauge at one of the big box stores to check the pressure. Then you will know for sure.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:35 PM   #4

Just to let you know you cannot control the pressure with the "ball valve" at the spigot. You are only controlling the maximum flow rate.

If you are using a water filter that could restrict your flow and it might appear to be a pressure problem when it really isn't.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:36 PM   #5
Site Team

Those tiny pressure regulators do restrict flow eventually. I use a Watts whole house. Works great and does not restrict flow.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:46 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Since water pressure doesn't stink the follow;
The RV system is good for 100 PSI. The pump is set at 45 PSI. The solid brass regulators are set for 40 PSI. There are places which have over 100 PSI pressure but in general they are under. A filter or ball valve doesn't change the pressure.
Why they do use the 40-45 PSI in RV's is to protect the system and for water conservation when on the FWT. So it is still up to any RVer what they want to do.
You are camping so what is the rush if the water runs a bit slow.............enjoy life.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 03:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
Just to let you know you cannot control the pressure with the "ball valve" at the spigot. You are only controlling the maximum flow rate.

Yes. Good point now that I think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2016, 11:19 AM   #8

I carry a water pressure gauge http://amzn.to/2aWAmc1 with me and check the water pressure. If it's high I put on the regulator, if it's not, then I don't.

Read About My Camping World Nightmare
Loosenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:22 AM   #9

Those Valterra regulators and the like are in all reality flow regulators that have the side effect of reducing pressure. As mentioned above, get a Watts pressure regulator; it'll do what its supposed to but it will *not* hinder your flow.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:29 AM   #10

When cleaning tap screens don't forget to clean the water pump screen as well.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:52 AM   #11

Thanks everyone. I'm due to replace the filter, so I'll do that this weekend along with cleaning the tap screens (I don't use the water pump at all) and removing the regulator. We'll see if it helps bring up the flow a bit.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:42 PM   #12

Similar Situation Yesterday

I had a similar situation yesterday. Sunday night before bed we had good pressure, yesterday morning we had no pressure. Not less, none. I've always used a brass regulator. A little investigation revealed that the pressure regulator was completely blocked. After asking several others in the campground if they used one or if they've had issues not using one, I decided to go without it. I'll be picking up a gauge and another regulator soon though. The cost of both is miniscule compared to the cost of replacing plumbing components.
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:50 PM   #13
Site Team

I have no financial interest in this store but I know many who have received good service on filters and water regulators for their rv's.

They offer pressure regulators that already have fittings to connect to your water hose.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/index.htm
https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/P...Regulators.htm
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 08-16-2016, 02:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I have no financial interest in this store but I know many who have received good service on filters and water regulators for their rv's.

They offer pressure regulators that already have fittings to connect to your water hose.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/index.htm
https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/P...Regulators.htm
x2 ...website has good information on regs and filters, nice people too ! I have the watts reg and double filter setup
Future Projects : Kitchen faucet w pulldown sprayer DONE , bathroom faucet and shower head DONE, dimmer for awning lights DONE, Clear door window kit DONE, internal&external fridge fans DONE
denn888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
Thanks everyone. I'm due to replace the filter, so I'll do that this weekend along with cleaning the tap screens (I don't use the water pump at all) and removing the regulator. We'll see if it helps bring up the flow a bit.
Instead of replacing the filter AND removing the regulator, try one at a time to see what the issue is. Start with the filter, check the pressure, then the tap screens, check again, then the regulator.

Never know for sure if you don't.

Good luck!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosenuts View Post
I carry a water pressure gauge http://amzn.to/2aWAmc1 with me and check the water pressure. If it's high I put on the regulator, if it's not, then I don't.
Good idea!

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Instead of replacing the filter AND removing the regulator, try one at a time to see what the issue is. Start with the filter, check the pressure, then the tap screens, check again, then the regulator.

Never know for sure if you don't.

Good luck!

As suggested, I replace the water filter and cleaned the screens first. No change. I then removed the pressure regulator, big difference in pressure. I then checked all the plumbing fittings throughout the rig for leaks. All looks good. I check them again periodically throughout the day. If all is well, I'll be going without the regulator. I do plan on picking up a gauge to actually measure how much pressure is coming into the camper.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:04 AM   #18
Site Team

Low pressure in cg's is the norm. Usually if a cg has abnormally high pressure they will notify you at check in. Some even caution you not to hook up without a regulator or offer to sell you one.

Don't take those warning to lightly. We have been in cg's that were close to the water supply that had upwards of 90 psi. You don't want that on your rv.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 08-21-2016, 01:49 PM   #19

I spoke to CG management regarding the pressure. I was told the pressure is well within RV specs and that they spot check throughout the park regularly. They told me I was ok to go without a regulator. The pressure is great now without it. I can almost tell it's not excessive. As mentioned, I will pick up a pressure gauge this week and check it for myself next weekend.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:11 AM   #20

So I connected a gauge directly to the spicket, then again via the regulator. Without the regulator, it's reads about 47 psi. With the regulator I get a reading of about 37 psi. Am I correct in assuming that the 47 psi without the regulator is a safe pressure level? Thanks!