Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2019, 08:20 PM   #41

I also put the regulator to the spigot and then the water filter and then the hose to the FW. I am thinking about putting the water filter on first though because my water filter has had some trash in the wire mesh in the top and my adjustable regulator has just about quit being adjustable. I figure it may have gotten some of that trash in it and won't allow the regulator to adjust any more.
B&W Companion 5th Wheel

Centerville,TN
backpack1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:33 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpack1953 View Post
I also put the regulator to the spigot and then the water filter and then the hose to the FW. I am thinking about putting the water filter on first though because my water filter has had some trash in the wire mesh in the top and my adjustable regulator has just about quit being adjustable. I figure it may have gotten some of that trash in it and won't allow the regulator to adjust any more.
Yup. That's how I ended up with 3 filters. The first filter is on the spigot, to keep any 'trash' out of my expensive, adjustable pressure regulator.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:16 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearkeller View Post
Regulator question, I see basically 2 types, one that has a supposedly fix outlet pressure and one that has a gauge on it and a adjustment screw to change the outlet pressure. Question is let’s say the CG has 60psi and you install the fixed version assumption is you get 40psi out. Now let’s say CG has 100psi and you install the same fix regulator. Do you still get 40psi out? I question that. I’ve asked that question to several “experts” and no one can answer it. I’m of the opinion outlet pressure is dependent on inlet pressure. Hence that’s why I use the adjustable regulator.
The campground we worked at last year and the year before had water pressure of 140lbs PSI...my adjustable regulator was set to 50 and that is what I received. This year the water pressure was 65 PSI and I still got the same 50PSI out of it. If I stop at a campground with 40 PSI I will only get 40 psi.

As to connecting two hoses together you will get a slight drop in flow since there is friction of the hose. If you put a long enough hose you will eventually get zero water out of it.

I put the regulator, splitter, water filter at the hose bib, then connect my hose to my RV. I don't want the weight of the regulator and filter on the 90 degree connection at my RV, bad enough the weight of the hose is pulling on it.

As to the sun... at my stick and brick, in Phoenix area, I have a black hose which is connected all summer to the hose bib..it is full of water but the bib is turned off.. even sitting in 120 degree direct sunlight you may get a very small burst of water when you open the nozzle without turning the water on at the bib...probably not more than a couple oz...which would be from the expansion of the heated water...not nearly enough to cause any harm.. I did have a blue drinking water hose burst when I put it on the water bib without the regulator when I first connected two years ago, on the 140psi system... Thank heavens it was near the end so I just cut that off and put a new end on it and used my regulator..

Absolutely no reason not to have the regulator at the bib and many reasons to not put it at the RV end...

I did have one idiot tell me he never used a regulator but never turned the water on full at the hydrant... I tried to explain the valve at the hydrant only changes flow not pressure...he argued that it did because when he turned the water on in his RV it barely trickled out..I agreed but then pointed out when he shut the water off...the pressure before the hydrant valve and after that valve will be equal over time...he never understood..

Good Luck...

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:43 AM   #44

Yes you make a valid point. I tried to put mine in the panel compartment but it would be on the wrong side so the pressure gauge was facing in and not out.
K Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:53 AM   #45

Some people don’t under hydraulics and you’re not going to convince them otherwise. Flow rate and pressure are two different animals. I’d just hate to come back to the park and find my regulator missing! But as of now it’s still out on the pole! Maybe I should put a sign on it that says “Do Not Steal”. Bad guys always follow the rules right?
K Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 04:53 AM   #46

I live in an RV park and have for about 6 years. I've never heard of anyone stealing a regulator. Yetis and other high end coolers but no regulators. I would think that would be a rare occurence especially a stock type unit.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:23 PM   #47

I agree, I don't get the guys logic. Doesn't mean he is wrong, just doesn't seem like it. Basically, I prefer to use the hose to fill the water tank and then turn the city water off and draw from the fresh tank via the pump. I leave the hose attached and refill once a day. Keeps the hose from enduring too much pressure even with the pressure regulator.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:28 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forelyndogs View Post
I agree, I don't get the guys logic. Doesn't mean he is wrong, just doesn't seem like it. Basically, I prefer to use the hose to fill the water tank and then turn the city water off and draw from the fresh tank via the pump. I leave the hose attached and refill once a day. Keeps the hose from enduring too much pressure even with the pressure regulator.
I operate out of my fresh tank during the winter filling up via the hose when needed. In the winter I don't leave the hose/regulator hooked up, but put the regulator in the basement and leave the hose outside on an angle to drain and ready for the next fill. Much better than worrying with expensive heated hoses and then how to keep the faucet warm.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:35 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
The campground we worked at last year and the year before had water pressure of 140lbs PSI...my adjustable regulator was set to 50 and that is what I received. This year the water pressure was 65 PSI and I still got the same 50PSI out of it. If I stop at a campground with 40 PSI I will only get 40 psi.
Stayed at a CG couple yrs back and during check-in was warned to use a regulator on the bib as the pressure was over 100psi, would blow the hose from its coupling and if I didn’t have one they’d loan me one.
While that was a rare situation, from that point on my regulator goes on the bib to protect everything downstream.
My regulator is adjustable with a gauge (abt $70 IIRC) and I have a couple of the cheap-o’s in my hose box for backup should I need. I also feel it gives better flow than the cheap fixed variety.

The sun causing the pressure to increase to the point of bursting the hose? Nope. Water density/volume changes very little with temperature until it freezes or boils.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:00 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegray View Post
This is the one I use. https://amzn.to/2YAkohs

Mike
x2, I like to regulate the pressure...........keep it between 55 & 60 psi
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS