Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-01-2021, 07:49 PM   #1

Water softener

We have a 2019 Jayco Eagle 321rsts with a residential refrigerator. We installed a On The Go OTG4-DBLSOFT-Portable 16,000 Grain RV Water Softener. A week after we installed the water softener the water filter in the refrigerator got plugged. At this time we thought it was time to change the water filter so we bought a new one. A week after we have the same problem with the water filter…at this time we call the water softener company and told them what was happening. They told us to check some things but everything was fine and they told us that there is nothing they can do because the water softener is working fine. Then we decided to buy another filter thinking that the filter was damaged. A week later we have the same problem. My question is if anyone have had the same problem using the water softener with the water filter in the refrigerator?
SunnyFda2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:12 PM   #2

Did you cut open the plugged filter to see what is plugging it? That's where I would start. Your water softener is a resin based sodium chloride or potassium chloride regeneration system. So to make hard water soft it repla es the calcium and magnesium salts (beneficial to your body) with sodium or potassium salts (not so good for your body, but fine for plumbing and bathing). OK, you had the science and are bored. My guess is that the resin is coming our of the softener and clogging your filter. So cut open your plugged filter. Since you can buy the resin to replace the old resin there should be a way to open their system an look at the resin. Then you will know for sure. I know hard water is a pain. However, using salt based softeners or RO systems for drinking water are not good for your body. The latter can exacerbate osteoporosis. The former enhancesyour sodium or potassium intake.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:34 AM   #3

When you setup the water softener did you flush it before connecting to your rv water system?
Check to ensure you have water softener connected correctly. If you have it reversed it can push the resin out. Basically you are back washing it at full pressure which will flush resin out. Backwashing is supposed to be at a dribble of water flow.
We have an On the Go water softener. Gotta flush it out each time we hookup as we drain it of all water between uses which means dumping it upside down. Each time we preflush the water is resin coloured. Let it run until clear. Then connect to water system on trailer.
Just some thoughts here.
We have messed up once and reversed the in and out ports on the softener.

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:38 AM   #4

Please explain how RO systems are bad for you. A softener working against water of 400 hardness and above will clearly pass salts from the softener in the water which every physician will say can interfere with successful control of high blood pressure. The RO removes those salts flattening the hypertensive effect, which translates to fewer mg of your favorite BP pills. Doc tells me that under 400 hardness, a properly working softener is a negligent effect on BP.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:28 AM   #5

We are full time and have had an On-The-Go water softener for over 2 1/2 years using it 24/7. We've never had a problem with the fridge water filter clogging up. About a year ago while changing the whole house filter, I found resin that was trapped in the filter. Never had that happen before, and yes the softener was connected correctly. Called On-The-Go and they had be take the tube out of the softener and check it for cracks. It was fine and I haven't had a problem since. I was lucky that the whole house filter trapped the resin. That's why I use a one micron filter. Resin is unable to get past that filter. It remains a mystery as to what caused the resin to escape the softener. All in all, I'm extremely pleased with the softener and wouldn't leave home without it . We used to winter in Yuma, AZ where the water is so hard that your skin would turn white if you didn't dry the water off of it. It was so hard that I had to regenerate the softener every two to three weeks! Under normal situations I could go two to three months without needing to regenerate.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:05 PM   #6

First of all high sodium levels cause high blood pressure, not calcium or magnesium, which are necessary for bones.

RO water essentially has almost no ions in it. So it is "ion hungry." That means it will corrode metal, or other materials to get back to normal, meaning having some ions. So when you drink RO water the water takes the salts from your body. WHO reported this several years ago.

I agree 400 parts sodium can exacerbate high blood pressure which can and does come out of a typical water softener when the calcium and mag esium levels are high. However, unless you have some medical problem related to hard water high calcium and magnesium levels won't hurt you. I'd rather have the calcium and magnesium, which is why I don't have a sodium producing water softener.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:12 PM   #7
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
First of all high sodium levels cause high blood pressure, not calcium or magnesium, which are necessary for bones.

RO water essentially has almost no ions in it. So it is "ion hungry." That means it will corrode metal, or other materials to get back to normal, meaning having some ions. So when you drink RO water the water takes the salts from your body. WHO reported this several years ago.

I agree 400 parts sodium can exacerbate high blood pressure which can and does come out of a typical water softener when the calcium and mag esium levels are high. However, unless you have some medical problem related to hard water high calcium and magnesium levels won't hurt you. I'd rather have the calcium and magnesium, which is why I don't have a sodium producing water softener.

But I think we are wandering off topic for the OP's question.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
But I think we are wandering off topic for the OP's question.
I agree. However, if someone has a question we need to answer that person. Besides I believe we gave the initiator some stuff to look at and he needs to get back to us.

Regimentation ain't our thing. Helping others is.I
Old 12-02-2021, 05:42 PM   #9
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
I agree. However, if someone has a question we need to answer that person. Besides I believe we gave the initiator some stuff to look at and he needs to get back to us.

Regimentation ain't our thing. Helping others is.I

Actually regimentation is our thing if the question pulls the thread way off topic. That does nothing to help the OP or the person asking the question. I think if you will check you will find a number of cases where the person asking the question in some threads has been asked to start another thread directed at their question.

I am all for helping, but, when we get off topic to the point of not even being in the same ballpark any longer it helps no one. The question you answered was off topic and working toward an argument over other issues.

The request for help on a plugged filter turning into a discussion on health issues caused, or suspected to be caused by water softeners. That is not on topic or helpful to the OP.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:07 PM   #10

We have had the OnTheGo since 2012 and never had a problem in the previous unit. In the 2016 Pinnacle, we used the residential fridge water & ice maker that year only and never had an issue with the filter clogging while using OnTheGo. And no, we no longer use the fridge water & ice maker.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:00 AM   #11

Water softener

Thank you for all the tips. We will be looking into it.
SunnyFda2019 is offline   Reply With Quote