Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2021, 12:45 PM   #1

Water Supply Hose

I am new here but not so new to RVing. But, a little behind times on RV Accessories. I was always under the impression the only water hose to use for the RV supply line was the White RV Safe for the drinking water hose. Lack of ways to describe it. Now I am seeing these new collapsing hoses being sold for use as RV supply lines. Are these hoses safe for drinking and supplying drinking water to your RV. How do they hold up against mold and fungus when stored. Has anyone done any research on this subject?
Mcburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:16 PM   #2

I've never been a fan of collapsible hoses. For them to collapse, they need to be thin. Which means less material and premature wear. The "white" hoses are the standard. Regardless, any hose you buy should specifically state "safe for drinking".
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:20 PM   #3

There are a couple of new flexible hoses. They don't shrink up as much as the classic green ones. In fact they seem to collapse more than shrink. They are listed as drinking water safe. My buddy has been using one for about six months and likes it. It was included from the dealer when he bought his Grand Design. I've seen one at Walmart as well.

There is also a classic looking blue hose that is drinking water safe.
Old 07-27-2021, 01:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcburt View Post
I am new here but not so new to RVing. But, a little behind times on RV Accessories. I was always under the impression the only water hose to use for the RV supply line was the White RV Safe for the drinking water hose. Lack of ways to describe it. Now I am seeing these new collapsing hoses being sold for use as RV supply lines. Are these hoses safe for drinking and supplying drinking water to your RV. How do they hold up against mold and fungus when stored. Has anyone done any research on this subject?
I've used the ZeroG RV hose for over two years and I haven't grown any extra fingers or toes. They are lead free and IMHO far superior to other hoses. Very easy to store. I carry four of them for different purposes.

https://www.amazon.com/zero-G-Lightw...58&sr=8-5&th=1
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:47 PM   #5

We use a Flexzilla hose as our main supply hose. The packaging indicates that it is safe for potable water, and it is lighter and more flexible than the white hoses. I still keep the old white hose tucked in a bin somewhere in case we can't reach the spigot with the 50' hose.

https://www.amazon.com/Flexzilla-HFZ...s%2C191&sr=8-2

As long as the manufacturer states that it is safe for drinking/potable water, I'm good. No code that says a hose has to be white for drinking water, but Camco would love you to believe that!
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:50 PM   #6

I use the traditional white with blue strip hose. I have the collapsible for doing the black and gray water dump.
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
We use a Flexzilla hose as our main supply hose. The packaging indicates that it is safe for potable water, and it is lighter and more flexible than the white hoses. I still keep the old white hose tucked in a bin somewhere in case we can't reach the spigot with the 50' hose.

As long as the manufacturer states that it is safe for drinking/potable water, I'm good. No code that says a hose has to be white for drinking water, but Camco would love you to believe that!
I use that exact hose for my yard. Love it. I didn't realize it was drinking water safe. That will be my next hose.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:19 PM   #8

My wife asked why I had the white RV hose watering the lawn. My answer was it was better than throwing it away. Works fine to water yards. I had purchased a "drinking water safe" Zero G hose two years ago and had used it on our trips. So much easier to handle, much less space taken up in my little RV. Has worked fine for several weeks of camping over the years. Have a second one for my house now.
I also took the 5 year guarantee and stapled the receipt from Lowes and keep it in an old file cabinet. Amazing how often I dig through it to get some use out of guarantees. Just got a free headlight based on warranty file.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:46 PM   #9

I switched to the zero G blue hose about 3 years ago for my water supply. I have not had any trouble with it. I also have a black collapsible hose that I picked up at Home Depot that I use for flushing the black tank. I make sure to tuck the hoses under the edge of the FW so there is less chance of someone stepping on the hoses. If you break the ribs of the hose, they will almost always start to leak.

RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:52 AM   #10

+1 for Zero G drinking water hose. People are concerned about longevity, but I've had several of the stiff white hoses fail, but so far not the zero g. In my experience, most hose failures are at the fittings, and zero g seems to be well made, many of the white ones not so much. We have limited storage space and the zero g hoses (also have a black one for dumping) have made life much easier.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post

I purchased that same hose and in one season the hose developed black mold all over it, which concerned me that the inside may be just as bad or worse. If you look at some of the amazon reviews, there are pictures of other purchasers hose with the same black mold. I use mine now for a lawn sprinkler. I will add that not all of the white hoses are the same, some larger than others and some seem to last a lot longer. I don't and didn't keep up with which brands though, but ran into more than a few that didn't hold up well, and I have one that has lasted many years now. ~CA
Old 07-29-2021, 09:58 AM   #12

I switched to a Zero G hose 2 seasons ago and haven't had any issues. My only concern with it is it's hard to get all the water out of it at the end of a trip. Other than that its been a perfect solution to the stiff white / blue hose...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 05:04 PM   #13

Got a Camco EvoFlex hozecoff Amazon. It's 25' long and very flexible. It's a little better than 5he ole white Camco hose.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:22 PM   #14

Zero-G for me as well. For years now; never had any problems. I have the blue ones for my FW and a black one for the black tank flush.

Everything you could want to know about hoses:

Project Farm: Hose Test

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:56 PM   #15

The first Zero-G hose I bought, the fitting blew off almost immediately. They replaced it, but I’ve always been a little leery of using it as a supply line. I use the blue Camco freshwater hose, which is a little beefier than their white one, which I also have. I do have a couple of off-brand collapsible hoses and I love ‘em. Use it for the black water flush and the sailboat.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicDude View Post
I use the traditional white with blue strip hose. I have the collapsible for doing the black and gray water dump.
Same.
Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:55 PM   #17

Any hose labeled “drinking water safe “
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:54 AM   #18

I bought a Zero G gray hose (50') long. Loved it, but had one overnight at a campground with water source almost too far to reach. So I found a bright green Zero G that is 75' long at Tractor Supply. They are MADE to be drinking water safe. I now use the gray one (clearly labeled) as my black tank flush hose. SUPERB hoses!
gregcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:41 AM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Fleetman Send a message via MSN to Fleetman
Drank out of green or brown or black water hoses all my life. I'm now 73 y.o. "Safe" is marketing BS. That being said, big difference in the white or blue hose is you don't get that rubber taste.
Fleetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetman View Post
Drank out of green or brown or black water hoses all my life. I'm now 73 y.o. "Safe" is marketing BS. That being said, big difference in the white or blue hose is you don't get that rubber taste.
^^^^ yep. That means I can count on living at least one more year The quality of the water matters way more than the hose.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote