Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-01-2020, 12:46 PM   #1

Water tanks Maint (newbie)

Hello. I just bought a used 2015 TT. I've read manual and watched you tube videos but still have a few questions. They might sound silly but just bought this . I literally have no experience with these at all. Thanks. Any tips and advice I'm all ears!

If im connected to city water does the water still go into fresh water holding tank or does it bypass straight into lines?

If I'm connected to city water do you still use water pump or pressure from hose pumps it?

In manual says use non toxic hose. I've seen them at walmart and camping worlds but can I use regular hose if I'm not drinking the water and on city water hook up? Doni have to use filter? I know I need pressure Regulator.. Actually just picked one up.

I want to flush all these tanks out real good since Its used. I've read and watched alot of videos. I picked up some Calgon and dawn dish soap. I guess I just put it down the drains and toilet and fill up the tanks? Let them sit over night or a couple days and then drain? I saw some other stuff alot of people reccomend "happy campers" I belive but it was a little expensive. On a tight budget right now.
Jayco2015JayFLIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco2015JayFLIGHT View Post
Hello. I just bought a used 2015 TT. I've read manual and watched you tube videos but still have a few questions. They might sound silly but just bought this . I literally have no experience with these at all. Thanks. Any tips and advice I'm all ears!

If im connected to city water does the water still go into fresh water holding tank or does it bypass straight into lines?

If I'm connected to city water do you still use water pump or pressure from hose pumps it?

In manual says use non toxic hose. I've seen them at walmart and camping worlds but can I use regular hose if I'm not drinking the water and on city water hook up? Doni have to use filter? I know I need pressure Regulator.. Actually just picked one up.

I want to flush all these tanks out real good since Its used. I've read and watched alot of videos. I picked up some Calgon and dawn dish soap. I guess I just put it down the drains and toilet and fill up the tanks? Let them sit over night or a couple days and then drain? I saw some other stuff alot of people reccomend "happy campers" I belive but it was a little expensive. On a tight budget right now.

City water,... depends on your model tt. Some would have 2 hose connections. One for fresh tank fill and one for city water connection. If that is the case with yours, then fresh tank fill does just that, fills the fresh tank only. The city water connection is hook up your hose to it and turn on the water.
Now if you have one water connection, you should have a center with a bunch if valves and a diagram of how the valves need to be turned to either fill the fresh tank, run off the pump pulling water from the fresh tank, run via city water connection, winterize the lines, etc...

Non toxic hose,.. it wouldnt hurt to have one, but... I've been drinking out of a regular garden hose for nearly 50 years and I dont have a third eye growing out of the middle of my back, or any other health issues because of it either. I fill my fresh tank at home and use a combination of my 2 drinking water safe hoses and one of my garden hoses due to my water tap is kinda far away. Some people dont have the luxury of being able to fill up at home and transport that full water tank to their camping location, so many will fill up at the campground. Are those hoses drinking water safe?? Who knows. AND where are you filling up,... at the dump station. Thats a whole different thread discussion. Lol! I sanitize my tank and lines I the spring and I drink the water from it too. Some don't. Personal preference. I drink out of garden hoses, drinking fountains at work, others find it not too appealing and have to drink bottled water and some will argue about what kind/brand of bottled water to drink.

The Calgon and dish soap flush,... one of my previous trailers I dumped a bunch down the drains, filled bout 1/3 of some water in there and drove to our camping destination that was 3 hours away. This way it could slosh around in there and clean the sides and top of the tanks. When I got there it was full hook up and I dumped the tanks out, did a quick fill and flush and called it done. You're never gonna get it all out, so you do the best you can and send it. Grey tanks aren't gonna get too bad,. When it comes to the black tank(s), water is your friend. Water helps break down the solids and keeps things flowing instead of getting the dreaded poop pyramid.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:52 PM   #3

Quote:

If im connected to city water does the water still go into fresh water holding tank or does it bypass straight into lines? If connected to city water it bypasses the tank and goes directly into the lines.

If I'm connected to city water do you still use water pump or pressure from hose pumps it? If connected to city water, no do not use the pump as the city water pressure provides the pressure needed.

In manual says use non toxic hose. I've seen them at walmart and camping worlds but can I use regular hose if I'm not drinking the water and on city water hook up? Doni have to use filter? I know I need pressure Regulator.. Actually just picked one up. Might as well pick up a drinking water hose.

Sloshing around helps more. Find a way to agitate the water somehow just before you dump if you can't slosh it around.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:24 PM   #4

The guy who sold it to me said he never used the fresh water tank before. Was always hooked to city. Today I was inspecting under the sink I belive I found the water pump. Looks like it's not even hooked up? Hose looks brand new minus the kink.. I'm guess there's a connection under that wood box to the tank?
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20201201-182204_Video Player.jpg   Screenshot_20201201-181825_Video Player.jpg   Screenshot_20201201-181800_Video Player.jpg  
Old 12-01-2020, 05:32 PM   #5
Site Team

The clear hose is for sucking RV antifreeze through the pump to winterize the lines. There'll be a valve on it, at or near the pump, to select that function. We have one too. Make sure that particular valve is closed, or the pump won't pick up from the fresh water tank.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:51 PM   #6

Ooo ok thanks J flight lol

I want to flush everything out. Still need a sewer hose. Black tank says full but I'm guessing/hoping it's just the sensor. I dont think guy would sell to me with full black tank!
Old 12-01-2020, 06:16 PM   #7

Personally I would flush the black tank out at a full hook up campsite. It could use a LOT of water. Some people in the warmer climates do have a sewer cleanout in their yards you could dump into. The black tank has some really bad bacteria, that can cause E.coli, one of the Hepatis's and a bunch of other bad illnesses. Dumping that water in your yard is bad, especially if there is any garden crops in the area, or kids/dogs that play in the area. As they can live in the soil for some time.

The grey water tank can have some bad bacteria too, but not nearly as bad as the black. In the spring when I sanitize my lines, I dump the grey tank into my depression garden (rain garden). The FW tank, not an issue to dump on the ground.

As for the black tank level, flush the toilet and look down the hole with a flashlight. That will tell how full the tank is. Also a good way to determine if the previous owner was good about making sure the black tank had lots of water in it before dumping. Nothing worse than the dreaded poop pyramid.

I see you are in Southern Florida, you may never need your clear winterizing line. It might be handy when you sanitize your FW system. I have a gravity fill port on my TT, the outside shower is next to it. I take the shower head off, shove the hose down the gravity fill port. I open the cold water valve. Go inside, take my pitcher of bleach water concentrate solution. Stick the winterizing hose in the solution, turn on the pump (with the valves turned to winterizing), and pump the solution right into the FW tank. I usually then pump an additional pitcher through the pump afterwards. After that I use my hose to finish filling the FW tank. Flip the winterizing valves back. Turn on the pump again, and pump bleach water through all the lines. Top off the tank, and let it all sit. I usually let it sit over night. 4 hours or next day, flush the lines. It takes a lot of water to get the taste of the bleach out of the lines. (hence I have the grey tank valve open).

As for using FW; if you are connected to city water. The pump does not need to be turned on. Only time it needs to be on is when you are using your onboard water system (aka FW tank)

How to fill your FW tank, depends on the system. You heard me mention above, You may have Gravity fill port, sometimes referred to as Country Fill. Open the cover and shove the hose in and fill, until water comes out the bottom of the TT. I suspect you have this gravity fill port as you have a clear winterizing hose.

You may have a command center. I doubt it due to the winterizing hose inside. But if you do, you have two valves, and at least one hose connection port. Connect the hose, turn on the water. Depending on the valve configuration, you can fill the FW tank, run the faucets like at home, winterize, or country fill (use the pump to fill the tank). IF you have a second hose connection in the command center, it is for your Black tank flush (if you have on). NEVER connect your drinking water hose to this port, even if you do not drink the water, back to the top regarding bad bad health things could happen. Even if you only use the water for showers, dishes, etc.

As for garden hoses, just find one that says it is for potable water. The old hoses that most of us drank out of as a kids, have some not so good chemicals in them. Simple water filters typically do nothing for dissolved chemicals in the water. Really need a better filter system.

If you have a black tank flush, get a second garden hose, ideally like a black hose, and only use it for the black tank flush. Keep the hose ends screwed together when not in use.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Personally I would flush the black tank out at a full hook up campsite. It could use a LOT of water. Some people in the warmer climates do have a sewer cleanout in their yards you could dump into. The black tank has some really bad bacteria, that can cause E.coli, one of the Hepatis's and a bunch of other bad illnesses. Dumping that water in your yard is bad, especially if there is any garden crops in the area, or kids/dogs that play in the area. As they can live in the soil for some time.

The grey water tank can have some bad bacteria too, but not nearly as bad as the black. In the spring when I sanitize my lines, I dump the grey tank into my depression garden (rain garden). The FW tank, not an issue to dump on the ground.

As for the black tank level, flush the toilet and look down the hole with a flashlight. That will tell how full the tank is. Also a good way to determine if the previous owner was good about making sure the black tank had lots of water in it before dumping. Nothing worse than the dreaded poop pyramid.

I see you are in Southern Florida, you may never need your clear winterizing line. It might be handy when you sanitize your FW system. I have a gravity fill port on my TT, the outside shower is next to it. I take the shower head off, shove the hose down the gravity fill port. I open the cold water valve. Go inside, take my pitcher of bleach water concentrate solution. Stick the winterizing hose in the solution, turn on the pump (with the valves turned to winterizing), and pump the solution right into the FW tank. I usually then pump an additional pitcher through the pump afterwards. After that I use my hose to finish filling the FW tank. Flip the winterizing valves back. Turn on the pump again, and pump bleach water through all the lines. Top off the tank, and let it all sit. I usually let it sit over night. 4 hours or next day, flush the lines. It takes a lot of water to get the taste of the bleach out of the lines. (hence I have the grey tank valve open).

As for using FW; if you are connected to city water. The pump does not need to be turned on. Only time it needs to be on is when you are using your onboard water system (aka FW tank)

How to fill your FW tank, depends on the system. You heard me mention above, You may have Gravity fill port, sometimes referred to as Country Fill. Open the cover and shove the hose in and fill, until water comes out the bottom of the TT. I suspect you have this gravity fill port as you have a clear winterizing hose.

You may have a command center. I doubt it due to the winterizing hose inside. But if you do, you have two valves, and at least one hose connection port. Connect the hose, turn on the water. Depending on the valve configuration, you can fill the FW tank, run the faucets like at home, winterize, or country fill (use the pump to fill the tank). IF you have a second hose connection in the command center, it is for your Black tank flush (if you have on). NEVER connect your drinking water hose to this port, even if you do not drink the water, back to the top regarding bad bad health things could happen. Even if you only use the water for showers, dishes, etc.

As for garden hoses, just find one that says it is for potable water. The old hoses that most of us drank out of as a kids, have some not so good chemicals in them. Simple water filters typically do nothing for dissolved chemicals in the water. Really need a better filter system.

If you have a black tank flush, get a second garden hose, ideally like a black hose, and only use it for the black tank flush. Keep the hose ends screwed together when not in use.
Thanks Ja! Once again with great information! I should just get your phone number lol Just kidding

So I looked down the toilet. I definatly see some dark liquid stuff in there!!!! But I dont know what full looks like. My meter things says full. But from what I've read those black tank sensors aren't always accurate. I'll attach a pic but hard to tell probably.

I dont believe i have a black tank flush. I have a city water connect and non pressure connect. Not sure i totally understand the sanitizing through the winterizing system fully. But I think is same thing as pouring bleach mix directly into non pressure with a funnel? Then run water till I smell it coming out?

I guess I might have to find a close by campsite for a practice run and flush out real good. Definately not trying to pour all that �� in my yard.
Attached Thumbnails
20201202_141128.jpg   20201202_135732.jpg   20201127_160553.jpg  
Old 12-02-2020, 06:16 PM   #9

Not sure is this all I need to dump my tanks? Are they universal as far as size go? Do I need any other peices? Pics attached with descripieces?
Attached Thumbnails
20201202_191321.jpg   Screenshot_20201202-191340_Chrome.jpg  
Old 12-02-2020, 07:31 PM   #10
Site Team

That's not the right sewer hose for an RV. It's too small a diameter, and the ends won't attach. There are tons of brands, lengths, and price ranges for the right one. Use this for a guide, then search the web to see if there's a better price. For example, we carry a 20' and 10' in our bumper, and another new 10' with fittings as an emergency spare, in case a dump fitting happens to be further away. Too long is good, too short is a bummer.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-A...ive/3147892011

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:57 PM   #11

Quote:
I have a city water connect and non pressure connect. Not sure i totally understand the sanitizing through the winterizing system fully. But I think is same thing as pouring bleach mix directly into non pressure with a funnel? Then run water till I smell it coming out?
Same concept. I have spilled bleach to many times on my cloths, and shoes. Since doing it this other way, I have never made any more holy cloths.

I should record it someday .

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote