Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2016, 10:08 AM   #1

Question Watts out of cig plug

I am looking to run my tv and satellite receiver off of battery when dry camping. I have a 175 watt plug in inverter, that is barely too small to run both. Occasionally it will get an over alarm.

What I am thinking about doing is getting a cig plug splitter and another 175 watt inverter (I like these small ones because they don't have a fan, just heat syncs). Does anyone know how many watts the cig plug is rated for?
Jace817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:37 AM   #2
Site Team

Most cig lighter are protected by a 15a fuse. 175 watts would be pushing it but may work if you use larger wires and protect it with a 15a fuse.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:43 AM   #3
Site Team

The 12VDC Accessory outlet by the Media center is connected to a 15Amp fuse that in my TT also supplies power to the radio and LP/CO detector. So 15Amps @ 12VDC = 180 Watts. That 180 is the maximum output for that outlet, any higher output should pop the fuse and could cause the 12Volt supply cable to overheat.

The best approach is to take the inverter put it as close to the battery(s) as possible, hook the 12VDC side of it directly to the battery (with proper sized cables and fused of course, based on the inverters mfr suggested fuse size) and run a 110VAC extension cord from the inverter to the media center. There will be less of a voltage drop as the longer length cable is the higher (110VAC) voltage output.

Also get yourself 2 voltage displays, a 12VDC Digital Display and a 110VAC voltage display (sorry the one below is not the picture I wanted to post of the 110 VAC Digital Display). With a lot of inverters as the battery voltage drops from the 12.6 VDC level, the AC voltage level drops also. At 12.1VDC battery level, your inverter may only be putting out 98 to 100VAC and as you know, TV and digital equipment do not like low voltages. The battery voltage should not drop below 12.0 VDC as it will shorten the life of the battery(s) and that equates to $$$.

Ignore the yellow polarity checker... wrong picture

Don
Attached Thumbnails
ELECTRONICS - 12VDC Voltage Display.jpg   ELECTRONICS - 110VAC Digital Voltage Display.jpg  
Attached Images

Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace817 View Post
I am looking to run my tv and satellite receiver off of battery when dry camping. I have a 175 watt plug in inverter, that is barely too small to run both. Occasionally it will get an over alarm.

What I am thinking about doing is getting a cig plug splitter and another 175 watt inverter (I like these small ones because they don't have a fan, just heat syncs). Does anyone know how many watts the cig plug is rated for?
Are you talking about plugging the spitter into the oem 12v outlet and trying to run a 175W inverter out of each leg of the splitter. You realize that at the end of the day you are trying to pull 350w thru the same wiring that is designed to pull about 180w max by "fooling" it with a splitter. If it works it could very easily overheat the wiring and who knows what might happen.

Do it the right way and install a 300-600w pure signwave inverter mounted as close as possible to the battery and then run a 110 extension from the inverter to the entertainment center area. No fan noise because it is not sitting right next to your receiver and you are getting clean power.

Not a good idea to use the splitter and the cheap ones are just that, cheap.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:21 PM   #5

Watts = Amps X Volts
Watts = 15 X 12.5
Watts = 187.5....

That factors in no line-loss, or other variables. This is why your 175w use is marginal.

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote