Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-21-2016, 08:10 PM   #21

I have used the Meguiars cleaner/wax before on my old aluminum sided 5W and a high speed buffer. I'm not a pro and did it in the shop over a couple weeks one winter. Just change pads often. A pro detailer that buffs daily would be like us brushing our teeth.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:22 PM   #22

I love the cleaner wax.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:54 PM   #23

I have arthitis in my hands, plus a back problem. I hire out wherever I can. I don't like to work hard. But also, I find it harder and harder to find competent vendors.

I did my trailer last week. It now is perfectly clean and shines like a baby's you know what.

Mequires Quikwax. No polishing, just rub it on. Spray bottle and squirt on half the side. I do about 6 feet at a time. Then take an old undershirt and wipe it off. Just like spraying water on the panel and then drying it. No further work needed.

Cost me 5 bucks (I have enough left for next year) and took me 30 minutes. It took me longer to drink the beer than it did to do the RV. With the size of my RV bathtub, it causes me more pain to take a shower than wax the trailer.

Hire out.....nah.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:41 AM   #24

from a part time detailer...

lots of information on this thread, some good, some not.

the term wax now a days gets used everywhere, when in fact most products are either sealants or hybrids. Wax is usually carnuba, and doesn't last that long, and will attract pollen. A sealant is the way to go unless you want to redo the work every 2 months. Rejex is a good sealant, but there are tons of good products out there. (Collinite, Duragloss to name a few)

be careful of anybody that sells high speed buffing, it's more a marketing term than anything!
for a fairly new trailer you just need a good sealant, if you have some oxidation, a sealant/wax with cleaners will do the job

-if it's bad oxidation, then you want a polish/compound, but that ain't cheap

I you want to find a competent person to do the work, go on a forum like autogeekonline.net and ask for referrals that are local to you, and you can ask all the questions you want! The online detailer community is very good at sharing knowledge and giving feedback on what you really need!

and a guy that charges 5$ an hour is not a detailer, he's a hack and can cause more damage than you can think!
Old 05-29-2016, 10:38 AM   #25

Thanks to all for the great advice and input!!!!

We opted to go with the guy who had done a few rv's the first day we arrived at the c/g. After checking his work and speaking with the owners, we realized this guy would the best choice.

No high speed buffing! We requested hand wash/wax for the new truck and new tt. He and his partner spent 4.5 hours doing the job (never stopped to txt, talk on the phone, etc). He even threw in a vacuum, and wash interior truck windows.

He used the Meguiars wax. Surface of both truck and tt turned out VERY smooth. He did the entire job for $220 (camping in Las Vegas at the time).
Attached Thumbnails
101_4277.JPG   101_4279.JPG   101_4280.JPG  
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote