Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #1

We are going camping in Europe!

We are going camping in Europe this summer on a 6 week vacation where we will camp about half the time and stay in hotels and enjoy a Mediterranean cruise the other half. No we are not putting our Jayco trailer on the Queen Mary.. Although that would be fun.
The camping option came about this way... I was working on our trip and rather discouraged by the idea of paying $200-300 Euros per night to sleep as we have always camped in North America and I finally thought.. Why not try camping in Europe. Campgrounds are generally cleaner, safer and people are friendlier than in some hotels and at least we will have our beds free of bedbugs. We have also always found that you see the country from a whole different perspective when you camp than when you hotel it, much more relaxed and relational. So I checked into it and although there are not as many campgrounds as in North America, they are there and the prices are very reasonable. About $20 per night for a tent site. (Or "pitch" as they call it). We had a few challenges to overcome as we are in our late 40s and unwilling to sleep on the ground, but after some research I found some wonderful ultralight camp cots, and thermarest air mattresses that weigh less than a pound and fit into your luggage. Five pound tents and 2 pound sleeping bags with silk liners and we are ready to go. We will be leaving July 3 and visiting 12 different countries in 6 weeks.
I will look forward to sharing some photos of European camp grounds and the trailer counterpart to our Jaycos called "Caravans" in most countries in Europe.

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #2

Sound like fun!

2012 Eagle SL 308 RETS
Lady Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #3

Look forward to the pics and info!

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #4

My wife (whose parents are Dutch) and I have been visiting The Netherlands every other summer since the mid-80s. Her parents still have a summer home in Westenschouwen, in the province of Zeeland. My observation of the Dutch campgrounds is that they are small, especially compared to what we're used to in the U.S. And, the occupants are jammed in, with not much breathing room between campsites. It works for them, they are used to it. But my wife and I agree we could not easily camp in that manner. One thing you should consider is looking for landowners, many of them farmers, that rent out space for campers. That might give y'all a better camping experience. ... Either way, it should be quite the adventure, and I look forward to following it from afar!

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab, long box, Duramax and 3.73, SRW
Equal-i-zer 1k WDH, 2013 White Hawk 27DSRL

Los Madrones, a little slice of Texas hill country heaven
www.losmadrones.com
mikmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #5

sounds like a wonderful adventure, enjoy!
Old 06-25-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

An adventure for sure.
I met some people from England with similar gear. They said it was amazingly comfortable.

Keep us posted on your experience.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:24 PM   #7

Have a great time! One of the best experiences for us was to travel Europe 'on-your-own'. Which cruise line and itinerary will you be on in the Mediterranean?
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #8

We are on a Carnival Cruise. We chose this because we are bringing our two young adult sons, and Carnival is a bit more relaxed. We are leaving from Barcelona, and then doing, a bit of France, a lot of Italy, Dubrovnik and then ending in Venice. We have a condo on the Adriatic coast booked for a week after that, so we will head over on a ferry. We have first class Eurorail passes, so we will do a lot of sightseeing on our own rather than pay through the nose for ships excursions. I am hoping it will be good... I know it will be an adventure. The only down side is That tonight I am spending my last night for a long time in my beloved trailer...

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #9

Sounds a bit like the way we travel in Europe or a cruise. Have a great time!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote