Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2014, 07:55 PM   #21

Took me a long time to convince the wife not to leave the kitchen sink running while rinsing dishes. We don't take showers and use the campground bathhouses for that
BillMc
BillMc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:22 PM   #22

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. We have camped 2 - 6 times a year for the last 12. Most from a tent and 1 year from a popup. We purchased the trailer for many of the obvious reasons. One of the most important was to NOT have to use the state parks facilities (our own personal reasons). Our parks do prohibit the dumping of gray water and while as a tent camper I have washed dishes, etc by the camp faucet and let the water go into the ground. But of course were talking a few gallons here.. I really don't want to dump my gray water onto the ground. Even going out only twice I have noticed the black water tank hardly gets filled, so I like the idea of using buckets in the sink and pouring the water into the toilet. Also we have tried as best as we can to get our hands wet, lather and a quick rinse and of course very quick showers while turning the water off as we soap up. We do use the wet wipes as much as possible as well. I have decided my best course is to purchase a couple of 10 - 15 gallon waste tanks and drain my water into them. (That would almost double my capacity). I can either drive them to the dump station or just wait until we leave and dump them then.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:34 AM   #23

We camp in a county campground with just water and elect. I do suggest to my wife and DD to take navy showers and I shower at the campground showers. We do try and do dishes with as little water as possible but I do end up dumping our tanks at least twice during a 3 day weekend and just figure that is what totes are for so don't mind doing it. No reason to complain as that would make it less fun for the rest of the family. Just consider it part of the camping experience.
knuts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #24

My wife and I "dry camp" in Grand Teton National Park in the Colter Bay Campground, no water or electrical hookups. We fill our fresh water tank when we get there, I think it's around 48 gallons with two gray water tanks of 32 gallons each, I believe. We generally don't take showers in the FW, but do everything else. We can usually go for a week without emptying either set of tanks, but do have to put 10-20 gallons of fresh water in the FW during out stay, usually after the fifth day or so. We have yet to have to empty the gray water tanks before we pick up and leave after 6-8 days. We don't run our water while washing dishes or brushing our teeth and, as I said, we don't take showers in the FW usually, we go to the general store area and use their showers. Costs less at $3.50 per shower than hooking up the FW and driving around to dump the gray water tank part-way through our stay I would believe, not to count the inconvenience of hooking and un-hooking part-way through the stay. I would say that we used to have a littler FW with only one smaller gray water tank and we used to be able to stay 6-8 days without having to dump the gray water until we picked up and left. So, it isn't just because we have bigger tanks.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #25
Site Team

Do they know about navy showers?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:29 PM   #26

We did the dog show thing for 20 years and pulled TT the whole time. We almost never had hookups. We learned over time how to manage water for a 2 or 3 day trip.

But before we learned; we accidently drilled a small hole in the grey water drain valve. It never stopped dripping after that accident, and it was never full again. Most of the people at shows would just dump grey water at night but that made a muddy mess out of the place while our drip drip drip just went into the ground.

Learning to manage water is the best solution.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:53 PM   #27
Site Team

On our last trip, I booked a site in Fl and thought it had sewer. I did not bring my blue boy cause I was sure I would not need it. We stayed there for 6 nites w/o sewer connections. We were extra conservators of tank space that stay by taking showers in the bath house, Dumping wash water in the bath house sinks( for that purpose). We had plenty of room in both grey tanks when we left. I could have easily equalized the 2 grey tanks with my outside valve but did not need to.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:05 AM   #28

My old TT had only 20 gal FW and 18 gal GW tanks. My first few outings were during the late fall at state parks that had elect. only - water at dump station had been turned off earlier in the season to prevent freezing. I had problems with both running out of FW and filling the GW tank rather quickly. I learned that switching to paper plates and only washing pot/pans/etc. once a day saved a whole lot of both fresh water and grey water space. As a bonus, it took a let less time to do the few items I did have to wash. Just thought I'd pass that along.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:05 AM   #29

I would not take a chance on dumping gray water anywhere. Some states and local municipalities have hefty fines if you get caught. The rules however can be confusing. While it is illegal to dump gray water, it isn't always illegal to use the outside shower. If it is warm enough out, pack a bathing suit and use it to save on gray water. Also, don't run hot water in the sink for it to come up to temperature for doing dishes. This really wastes fresh water and gray capacity. Instead, heat water on the stove for dishes. Some folks use two plastic basins, one for wash and one for rinse. That way you use less water. Also, wipe any residue on plates or pans with a paper towel first. This pre-clean will allow you to wash with less water and help keep your gray tank from getting a foul smell.
Bird Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:19 AM   #30

On a really nice day you could take an outside shower with your dishes. Just kidding. We have 2 grey tanks so it's not an issue with us. Also, we don't often need the second tank just based on learning how to use less water. Get in the shower with a wet cloth and soap up without the shower running. Get out and adjust the water temp, then quickly rinse off and turn off the water. Very little water is used in this process.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote