Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2014, 11:38 AM   #1

Weigh Your RV

Have you ever weighed your RV. I would like to know just how heavy my "ready to go" RV is. I would also like to determine the tougue weight. I need assistance with the math. I can utilize the local grain elevator's scale. What is the process I need to follow to determine the actual tongue weight?
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:08 PM   #2

One sure way is to just park the unit with the front hitch only on the scale. You can drive your tow vehicle onto the scale by itself and get your tow vehicle weight. Then you can pull the hitched vehicle as well as the tow vehicle all on the scale and you have the total weight. Subtract your vehicle weight and you have your tow vehicle weight. Your owners manual should explain all that for your particular towed vehicle. Have fun.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post
Have you ever weighed your RV. I would like to know just how heavy my "ready to go" RV is. I would also like to determine the tougue weight. I need assistance with the math. I can utilize the local grain elevator's scale. What is the process I need to follow to determine the actual tongue weight?
Found this post to be helpful when I did my weighing......

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3871

2014 Jayco White Hawk 30DSQB Summit Edition, Glacier Package
2012 GMC 2500HD Z71 SLT 4WD Crew Cab...DuraMax/Allison....3.73 Rear Axle.
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 LTZ 4WD Crew Cab...Vortec 6.0L V8...3.73 Rear Axle..(traded)
2011 Chevrolet Avalanche...5.3L V8...3.42..(traded)
jtownstumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:36 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I assume that the grain elevator's scale is a "single platform" scale..., and if you normally tow with fresh water in your TT tank, make sure you fill your tank prior to weighing.

TT Tongue Weight: Unhitch the TT on the single platform such that "only" the weight of the TT tongue jack stand is being placed on the platform, ideally you want the TT to be level with the platform (block TT tires prior to unhitching).

TT Gross Weight: With TT hitched to the TV, and the WDH spring bars "disengaged" but just hanging, tow the TT onto the platform such that "only" the weight of the TT axles are placed on the platform. This weight plus the prior Tongue Weight is your TT's gross weight.

Hope this helps.

Ideally a visit to a CAT scale (multiple platforms) would be great..., referencing the JOF link in the previous post.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:11 AM   #5

Okay, So if I place the RV with its landing gears on the scale platform and its wheels off of the scale platform, that will give me the tongue weight or the weight the truck is carrying.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:09 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Okay, So if I place the RV with its landing gears on the scale platform and its wheels off of the scale platform, that will give me the tongue weight or the weight the truck is carrying.
In the above statement you reference "landing gear" which is normally associated with a 5th Wheel trailer....., but in your original post (and above) you reference "tongue weight", which is associated to travel trailer.

Question, are you trying to determine the "Tongue Weight" of a travel trailer or the "Pin Weight" of a 5th Wheel trailer??

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 04-14-2014, 10:11 AM   #7

When I weigh my unit, I weigh just the truck when it is ready to hit the road. Then I hook up the fifth wheel when it is completely loaded with water and supplies and ready to go down the road and just pull the truck onto the scales. The difference in the two weights is the tongue weight or the pin weight. Then pull the entire rig onto the scales and that will give you the combined weight. Subtract the weight of the truck w/o the rv attached and you have the weight of the RV.

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by djalbrec View Post
When I weigh my unit, I weigh just the truck when it is ready to hit the road. Then I hook up the fifth wheel when it is completely loaded with water and supplies and ready to go down the road and just pull the truck onto the scales. The difference in the two weights is the tongue weight or the pin weight. Then pull the entire rig onto the scales and that will give you the combined weight. Subtract the weight of the truck w/o the rv attached and you have the weight of the RV.
This ^^^. Quickest way to give you the critical weights you're looking for.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:51 PM   #9

I'm so sorry if I used the wrong term....Tongue weight, pin weight, I really didn't think it would offend. I was just trying to determine how much weight was being placed on the tow truck. I didn't know it would matter if that weight was being placed on the bumper or in the bed.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Shorty Cox,

Please note that no one was offended and you were using the correct terminology, it helps sometimes to know if it's a 5th Wheel or Travel Trailer being towed.

Quote:
snip.....I was just trying to determine how much weight was being placed on the tow truck......snip
In this case I would do as member "djalbrec" states:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djalbrec View Post
snip..... I weigh just the truck when it is ready to hit the road. Then I hook up the fifth wheel when it is completely loaded with water and supplies and ready to go down the road and just pull the truck onto the scales.....snip
The difference between these two scaled weights is the added weight being placed on the tow vehicle when hitched up.

I apologize for any confusion.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 04-15-2014, 08:23 AM   #11

Quote:
I'm so sorry if I used the wrong term....Tongue weight, pin weight, I really didn't think it would offend. I was just trying to determine how much weight was being placed on the tow truck. I didn't know it would matter if that weight was being placed on the bumper or in the bed.
First I'll echo the not being offended sentiment. I think it's safe to say that we don't offend easily when someone is trying to learn something and may not know the exact terms; it's all part of the process. As I have found, people on this forum are generally very helpful, especially given accurate information; the advice given greatly depends on accurate information. None of us knows everything, but there is a LOT of knowledge on this forum.

Incidentally, it does make a difference when you're weighing a 5th wheel setup (pin weight) vs a Travel Trailer (tongue weight). The 5th wheel pin weight sits right over the rear drive axle, and there is no opportunity for weight distribution. It's a binary question; trailer on vs trailer off.

The TT hangs a few inches out behind the bumper which creates leverage on the rear of the vehicle lifting the front, which is where a Weight Distribution hitch comes in. When you weigh a setup with a TT and a WDH, you need to pay close attention to the steer axle weights so you can maintain steering control by returning any weight lost due to that leverage to the front steer axle. The setup matrix is no longer binary; the WDH needs to be adjusted properly.

The process is similar, but there are a couple more considerations when you're dealing with a TT and WDH.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:58 PM   #12

Finally got to weigh the rig.

Truck (ready to go) weighs 6840lb
Combination of truck(ready to go) and RV (ready to go) weighs 17420lb
RV(ready to go) weight hooked to the truck with only the RV's wheels on the scale is 8480lb.

If my math is correct, combined weight, less truck weight, less RV wheel weight, equals weight of the RV on the truck.

As example, If combined weight is 4lb, less truck weight of 1lb, less RV wheel weight of 2lb, means the truck is hauling 1lb of the RV's weight.

Is my thinking correct?
Old 05-29-2014, 02:49 PM   #13

You have to weigh the rv unhooked too, or the truck with the rv attached but not on the scales. you're not accounting for how much hitch weight you have.
Flip Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Finally got to weigh the rig.

Truck (ready to go) weighs 6840lb
Combination of truck(ready to go) and RV (ready to go) weighs 17420lb
RV(ready to go) weight hooked to the truck with only the RV's wheels on the scale is 8480lb.

If my math is correct, combined weight, less truck weight, less RV wheel weight, equals weight of the RV on the truck.

As example, If combined weight is 4lb, less truck weight of 1lb, less RV wheel weight of 2lb, means the truck is hauling 1lb of the RV's weight.

Is my thinking correct?

Fifth wheel right? The math looks good to me assuming you weighed the truck alone with nothing attached. The number I get for pin weight is 1920. Take that divided by 10,400 FW weight (17420 GCVW-6840 GVW TV) and you get about 18%. I don't deal with 5ers very much, but 18% seems a bit light...? I understood you were supposed to be between 20-25%...?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 05-29-2014, 04:40 PM   #15

Interesting thread that got me thinking.
as a TT owner (not 5er), I would need 6 weights across the scales
hitched w/WD attached. first pass onto scale:
1) TV front axle on scale
2) TV front and back axles on scale
3) TV and TT on scale

unhook WD bars and start to drive off
4) TT axles on scale

unhook and park trailer. second pass onto scales
5) TV front axle on trailer
6) TV front and back axle on trailer.

Important weights of concern are:
GCVW = 3
TV GVW = 3-4
TT GVW = 3-6
TT tongue weight = 3-4-6

you can then use the other numbers to determine effectiveness and loading of your WD bars.
TV front axle loading = 1-5
tongue loading = 3-4-2
back axle loading = (2-1) - (6-5)
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpolsin View Post
Interesting thread that got me thinking.

as a TT owner (not 5er), I would need 6 weights across the scales

hitched w/WD attached. first pass onto scale:

1) TV front axle on scale

2) TV front and back axles on scale

3) TV and TT on scale

unhook WD bars and start to drive off

4) TT axles on scale

unhook and park trailer. second pass onto scales

5) TV front axle on trailer

6) TV front and back axle on trailer.

Important weights of concern are:

GCVW = 3

TV GVW = 3-4

TT GVW = 3-6

TT tongue weight = 3-4-6

you can then use the other numbers to determine effectiveness and loading of your WD bars.

TV front axle loading = 1-5

tongue loading = 3-4-2

back axle loading = (2-1) - (6-5)

Except that a standard CAT scale has 3 pads, so you only need 3 passes to get all the numbers you need. One with truck loaded for a trip, one with trailer attached and WDH not engaged, last one with WDH engaged. Each time you go across, you weigh the steer axle on the first pad, the drive axle on the middle pad, and the trailer axle(s) on the third pad.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 05-29-2014, 09:07 PM   #17

sorry, I was thinking of the full-length truck scales.
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpolsin View Post
sorry, I was thinking of the full-length truck scales.

No apology necessary!

The standard CAT scale found at truck stops all over the country is a full length scale, it's just broken into 3 pads, each section reports it's own weight. Around here we have a lot of DOT weigh stations and if I understand them correctly, they are one large pad, but they are also not useable when not attended by the State Troopers...

There is also a scale at the scrap metal collection yard for our local steel mill, it also is one large pad.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV