Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-16-2015, 10:24 PM   #1

Weight distribution and sway bars question

First thank you to everyone for the nice welcome in the Welcome Mat thread. We purchased a 2008 Jay Feather Sport 197 and are going on our first outing tomorrow. The previous owner had weight distribution bars, a sway control bar and a new, unopened Husky sway control. The guys at the RV Center said that the camper sat well on our truck without the sway control and because of the size(19') of the camper we might not need it. I am new to this and not sure what I should do. We towed it home (approximately 5 miles) without any trouble. I am wondering if we would be ok not using the sway control on our first trip. We are traveling about 65 miles but will not be on a major highway.
Jtoocheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:01 AM   #2

Your sway control has nothing to do with the way the TT sits on the TV. Although the RV Center says you may not need it My opinion is if you have it then use it. It doesn't take much time to put it on and the benefits far outweigh not having it on. Just make sure that when you are checking in at a campground that you remove it before backing into your campsite. By doing that you will avoid causing any damage if you need to make sharp turns while backing in.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:22 AM   #3

As I stated, if you have it use it. But what is more important to me is knowing what to do when sway occurs. Try to maintain as much distance between you and the rig that is passing you. If you feel sway is affecting you then just accelerate slightly as this will help to reduce the sway and if needed when you accelerate just lightly tap on your brake controller as that will create drag and help to settle down any sway.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:05 AM   #4

I think doing a short trip, you should be ok. Just take it slow. But I would look into a hitch with sway control for the future.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:36 AM   #5

I'd be running away from that dealer. Sway control is like insurance. You can go 30 years and never have a car accident. Then one day you need it. Sway is like that. No matter how well things are set up, and how well it tracks, one day something unexpected will happen. Then you'll know if you really needed it. And $100 for a sway control bar is cheap considering all the money you put into the trailer and tow vehicle.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote