Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-16-2016, 11:39 AM   #1

What Are Realistic Expectations.....

Of a new RV?

Hey gang, I happened to come across this video from a manager of a large RV dealership about customers should realistically expect when buying a new RV. Dude makes some interesting points, some of which has been made here on this forum when discussing things like quality, etc.

https://youtu.be/9wPVVm2Czi4
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:58 AM   #2

Josh is spot on as usual with his video. I purchased my trailer from Haylett RV in Coldwater, Mi last year, they are not a large dealer but a great family run dealer. I drove 140 miles to purchase from them, I could have bought from one of the largest dealers in the country just down the road from me but after paying them a visit I got a bad vibe and didn't return. I have only had a few problems and both times my salesman at Haylett has ordered the parts and sent them to me.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:01 PM   #3

Other than the fact that he repeats himself a lot I think much of what he says is accurate. He has some very good points...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Josh is spot on as usual with his video. I purchased my trailer from Haylett RV in Coldwater, Mi last year, they are not a large dealer but a great family run dealer. I drove 140 miles to purchase from them, I could have bought from one of the largest dealers in the country just down the road from me but after paying them a visit I got a bad vibe and didn't return. I have only had a few problems and both times my salesman at Haylett has ordered the parts and sent them to me.

I shortlisted a Winnebago from Haylett RV, but they didn't seem all that interested in dealing with someone from Colorado, so I bought a Jayco locally and am happy I did.

I'm sure they are a fine dealership if you get the right salesman, mine wasn't willing to work with me long distance, Out the door price, would consistently tell me he would 'call me' the 'next day' with numbers - but never did. I had to call him every couple days and be like... 'so, you forgot about me again huh?" etc.. too long of a drive for me to deal with all the risks. I had some questions about how we would complete the deal, if my wife and daughter and I drove out, closed the deal on the RV we had been discussing with him, how long we needed to plan on staying out there, what kind of deposit I would need to put down to guarantee we wouldn't drive all the way out there only to have it sold out from under us, (your standard questions) etc..our schedule was a little tight because my daughter was starting school in a few weeks, but we had plenty of time to make it happen had they been responsive. I guess the questions we're more trouble than my business was worth. Their pricing was good, but I matched it here without any drama. They were asking 24K for the winnebago I wanted (per their website), which also had links to make an offer, etc... I told him I'd pay that - if he could make it my out the door price, and from that point forward he blew me off. I was a cash buyer too. Oh well... Happy with the Jayco.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:58 AM   #5

I disagree in the point he makes about warranty service. Sure like a car, it's expected that YOU deliver the rig to the dealer for service, but there are exceptions. When I bought my Jayco, it was understood with my dealer before making the deal that should warranty service be required, I would need remote service to my seasonal site as I don't have the means to pull the 38FDDS a 130 miles to the dealership. It's up to the individual dealer on how/when/where they want to handle warranty service. All dealerships are not created equal. As I've said before, selecting the right dealership is as important as selecting the right brand RV.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:58 AM   #6

Your dealer agreed to come out 130 miles to handle warrantee work? Now that is customer service most of us can't even get into the dealer for warranty work quick enough to satisfy us.
The video makes some good points and after my last buy I will really be particular where I spend my money.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old skipper View Post
Your dealer agreed to come out 130 miles to handle warrantee work? Now that is customer service most of us can't even get into the dealer for warranty work quick enough to satisfy us.
The video makes some good points and after my last buy I will really be particular where I spend my money.
Yes. We had an understanding from the get go that it wouldn't be immediately, unless the issue was a show stopper, which I was fine with. I had an awning with a fabric defect, the Furrion system died, a USB port died and the outside shower was plumbed backward.
He had a couple of seasonal customers on Cape Cod (130 miles from the dealership) with warranty issues so once he got all the replacement parts he sent a crew down and took care of all of us on the same day. Excellent customer service from Forrest Marine RV in Tyngsboro MA.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:21 AM   #8

I applaud them for being forthright and at least attempting to set realistic expectations for their buyers about what they are purchasing and how things work out before the sale.

As he stated that is a tough conversation to have.... we see it here everyday with new members who are on their first RV complaining about the fact that their new trailer settled a little bit in the first few years.

People go nuts because some screws came loose and some trim came off

I too have an excellent dealer that has provided some great service and has at times come to my home to pick up my rig and I've seen them travel to pick up their customers disabled rigs but I believe they are exceptional and go above and beyond many of the times and do it as a courtesy not as an obligation.