Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-10-2014, 09:18 AM   #1

What Do You Leave In You TT between Trips

Getting ready for the first trip of the season and thinking about everything we need to pack. Dreading all the different standard food items we need to put in the TT. Was thinking of getting TT specific items to leave in, in-between trips.

Was thinking about:

Salt
Pepper
Baking powder
Baking Soda
Oils
Spices

What else do you leave in in-between trips. I am weary about starchy or sugary foods because of potential mice and bugs.

What do you leave in?

Thanks!!

2014 Whitehawk 33BHBS
Equilizer WDH
2023 F350 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7l 3.31
2014 F250 4X4 Crew Cab 6.2 l 3.73 (sold)
2010 F150 4X4 Supercrew 4.6l 3.73 (traded in)
t2daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:50 AM   #2

We leave everything you listed, except the oil which might not do well in the heat that builds up in our trailer in the Texas heat. We do leave two roof ventilation hatches open - which are covered - when the trailer is stored.

We also leave toiletries and cleaners. We leave absolutely no food.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:20 PM   #3

I am looking forward to the responses here. If you are using the trailer say two weekends a month, do any of you leave non perishable food items in there? Like you would have in the pantry at home? Of course canned goods would be fine, but what about others?
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:38 PM   #4

We leave our refrigerator on all the time. Therefore, we leave quite a bit of food in the freezer and refrigerator. We take out only the food items that we need in the house. Have never had a problem with mice or other invaders. We usually go out every two or three weeks all summer long. Therefore, about the only thing we transfer back-and-forth from the house to the camper are a few food items for that particular weekend and our clothes that are necessary.

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:46 PM   #5

We leave as much as we can. Specifically, anything that isn't needed inside the house in between trips stays and we keep the trailer plugged in with the fridge on. Of course we only get a few days that are really hot, and always leave a few windows cracked with the roof vent open and on hot days I let the vent fan run.

We try to buy a set of staples that pretty much stays in the trailer for the season: steak spice, canned goods, coffee, ketchup/mustard and other condiments; salad dressings, margarine, etc. So we are usually hauling the fresh produce and other perishable items back and forth that need to get used up fast.

Of course we are using our trailer constantly often a week at a time (home for the weekends) so it might be different than folks who only use theirs 2 weekends per month. In that case I might consider emptying out more stuff.

When we got home this weekend after our first week out with the trailer, the wife and I joked that we should just live in the trailer in the driveway to save the hassle of unloading and reloading (shaving kit/toiletries, kids stuff, food, etc.). Wife's reply is that I had better hurry up and get her a 5er with laundry facilities and other extras and we would do just that!
Old 05-10-2014, 04:09 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

We keep a good supply of canned foods such as soup, sardines, tuna fish, veggies, etc. You never know when you might need them. Several times we have. We call it our "hurricane supply."
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:34 PM   #7

We have it down to a couple of the ACTION PACKER totes from LOWES for the food and cooking items we want to bring along with us. Everything else stays in the storage cabinets in the trailer.

We are a bit short on storage areas inside our OFF-RoAD POPUP but after you do a couple of camping trips you can figure out what basics you need to have.

We camped out (with no cheating) in CAMP BACKYARD when we first started out. You find out real quick what you need haha...

Also our first camping trips were always close-by to a WALMART and LOWES store or close to home and along with what you find at the CAMP STORE at the campground you can get the basics built-up pretty quick.

On our longer trips we always stop at the last chance WALMART to stock up on a couple of days of food supplies etc... Once at the campground you can figure where the best closeby place for daily supplies will be talking with the other campers. For us the ICE SUPPLY demand is one of the biggest items we use alot of. I have a 5-day ICE CHEST in the back of my truck full of ice when we start out. I then store some food in it and any thing we don't want to get water soaked fits in a small tote with snap lid sitting on top of the ice.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:05 PM   #8

Like many, we leave the fridg on all the time, thus we leave the condiments in the fridg. We remove the fresh meats and vegies. We try to leave the rv ready for the next trip. We even have rv clothes and house clothes. The last thing we do before leaving the camp site is to clean, change sheets, pile dirty laundry on a bed then go home. Once home, wash laundry and return it to the camper for next trip.
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:08 PM   #9
Site Team

Anything non-perishable stays including canned goods and anything in the refrigerator which stays plugged in while in my driveway. Anything perishable goes back inside the house.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:43 PM   #10

Another thought, and forgive me I don't intend this to sound like a smart@$$ statement. If you load and unload at each trip, you may as well own a tent. Keep the RV ready to go makes life so much easier.
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:22 PM   #11

Keeping the fridge on between trips is not an option for us since we keep our TT at a storage facility......

But one thing I can tell you is I keep the coffee in it!!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:05 AM   #12

With our old TT we kept it well stocked most of the year. We use our units all year long (less frequently in the winter). The refrigerator is left on and we sometimes use it to store frozen food that we don't have room to store in the house. I also keep a disaster supply of sealed food in the RV in case the worst happens.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:34 AM   #13

Everything but perishable food.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:54 AM   #14

tent????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post
Another thought, and forgive me I don't intend this to sound like a smart@$$ statement. If you load and unload at each trip, you may as well own a tent. Keep the RV ready to go makes life so much easier.
Naw, I just am not sleeping on the ground ever again! lol

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:16 AM   #15

Got that "no sleeping on the ground anymore" comment by Namusmc65. No more of that for me either.
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:29 PM   #16

If it's closed it stays in the unit, i.e. cereal, chips and sides or canned items. If it's opened out it comes when we get home.

All the spices, oils and basic ingredients stay in my unit. All sugars, flours and oils are in sealed containers like rubber maid or such. If the trips are close, 2 weeks or less then the fridge is on with condiments and other basics in it.

We replenish the basics as needed and keep them stocked until the winter when it all comes out.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
If it's closed it stays in the unit, i.e. cereal, chips and sides or canned items. If it's opened out it comes when we get home.

All the spices, oils and basic ingredients stay in my unit. All sugars, flours and oils are in sealed containers like rubber maid or such. If the trips are close, 2 weeks or less then the fridge is on with condiments and other basics in it.

We replenish the basics as needed and keep them stocked until the winter when it all comes out.
+1

Purchase small bottles or transfer to tupperware everything for the season
Old 05-11-2014, 08:10 PM   #18

The first trip we re-stock everything in the bath, kitchen and bedrooms. I used to leave the fridge running with some things in there, but the past couple of years, I've been removing all the food and turning off the fridge to save electricity.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #19

Since your trailer is in a storage facility, and used a couple of weekends a month, I'd be inclined to clean out all the food . . . even canned goods. The inside of a trailer can get well above 120 degrees if it's in the sun. That could (potentially) pop cans wide open. Especially pop cans.

I'm pretty much in your shoes (for the time being), and I remove all food between trips. I try to do the laundry as soon as I get home, so I can restock the towels, bedding, etc. right to the trailer before I return it to storage. I leave dishes, flatware, paper plates, glasses, paper towels, napkins, cleaning supplies, tools & TP. I also drain my water tanks, but refill them just before I leave for the next outing. If it's convenient, I'd have the propane tank(S) topped off on your way to the storage facility. It will be one less thing to forget to do before your next outing.

Hope this helps. Happy camping!
Old 05-11-2014, 10:32 PM   #20

Only perishable foods and dirty clothes leave the trailer. Everything else stays.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote