Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2023, 05:02 AM   #1

What Do You Tell Them?

I'm certain we've all been there. Yesterday a coworker friend started asking me about my TT. He's retiring in a couple months and he and his wife are attracted to traveling about 1/3 time. He's trying to learn everything he can before making a decision.

So two questions really. Specific to his case but I'm also thinking a generic thread of how to best help those that ask.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 05:42 AM   #2

He's a friend. I'd suggest to have him join a forum that represents the TT brand they are considering, and read the posts on it. This way they find out the good and bad, and not just from you.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 06:14 AM   #3

“What do you tell them”? I tell them the truthful answer to any question they ask…. The good and the bad.

I’ve had family, friends and co-workers ask questions and a few have since bought campers.

Like Bucko suggested, telling them to join/check out some forums is a good idea too.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 06:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
“What do you tell them”? I tell them the truthful answer to any question they ask…. The good and the bad.

I’ve had family, friends and co-workers ask questions and a few have since bought campers.

Like Bucko suggested, telling them to join/check out some forums is a good idea too.
I agree with pointing them to forums and other online sources to begin their learning process but, with the distinct understanding that they will see a whole lot more negatives online than positives. Generally people go to forums and such to complain about issues way more often than those who are completely happy with their products. The numbers are skewed to a large degree.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 06:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I agree with pointing them to forums and other online sources to begin their learning process but, with the distinct understanding that they will see a whole lot more negatives online than positives. Generally people go to forums and such to complain about issues way more often than those who are completely happy with their products. The numbers are skewed to a large degree.
X2!
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 07:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post

Definitely true and should be explained to someone looking for info on a new hobby via a forum.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 07:25 AM   #7

I tell them what I like and what I don't like. What was important to us and what wasn't . It just gives them a baseline to start thinking what is important to THEM.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 07:53 AM   #8
RPR

Buy if you are mechanically inclined and like to tinker. Think it as a project. They are put together with glue and stables.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 08:46 AM   #9

Buy used.
Old 03-21-2023, 12:33 PM   #10

I tell 'em to rent first and don't go far away...go to a state park, try a KOA once or twice. Since they're asking those types of questions, it's better to experience before writing a check. This way they can rent a couple of different model types, floor plans, whatever makes the Ms. go 'oooh'. Then a better decision of whether that 'wow' feature really does wow you. Then you buy.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 02:25 PM   #11

Best advise I could give would be to really think about how you are going to use the trailer and what that would look like in the floorplan. We use ours like a rolling hotel room so our floorplan needs are different from someone who stays at a location for extended periods. We also don't camp off-grid so our needs are very different than so others. Best advice is to be honest with how you want to use it and that will lead them down the right path.

2015 Starcraft AR-ONE Maxx 21FB
2023 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 04:00 PM   #12

I would would say renting something. Maybe a MH for a longer trip to a NP. Then, if they like it, but are interested in a tt, and if they have a TV that is capable, then rent one and stay within a few hundred miles from home. From there they have a base line, do they like the like style? What did they like and dislike. This will help find and choose a model they want.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 05:56 PM   #13

Another vote for a rental. Or, if a really good friend loan yours for a couple nights. Maybe have him drive your rig to a site with you in the car with him. Have him set up with you giving directions. Then leave them to spend a couple nights. Join back up and have him hitch up under direction and tow home.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 04:44 AM   #14

I too think the rental idea is a good one, but joining a forum and reading the good and bad is still a better way to understand what to expect without it being just one persons opinion.

I recently bought a new sport utility. I joined a forum specifically on the brand and model. I read various threads on the forum and made the conclusion that the one my wife and I liked, with all the options was a good buy. So we bought.

Doing Your researching online and obtaining several other opinions from a wide variety of folks will help you in your decision.

I've read too many threads/posts here and on other forums relating to a purchase where people were disappointed, then ultimately sold the item and lost money. They walk away with a sour taste, then spread that to their friends. It could have been avoided.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 12:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
I tell 'em to rent first and don't go far away...go to a state park, try a KOA once or twice. Since they're asking those types of questions, it's better to experience before writing a check. This way they can rent a couple of different model types, floor plans, whatever makes the Ms. go 'oooh'. Then a better decision of whether that 'wow' feature really does wow you. Then you buy.

X2!
dcdutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 12:14 PM   #16

Buy Used First

IMO the best advice is to buy used. If you haven't RVed you really don't know what you need or want until you live in one a bit. Or they may decide it's not for them so the hit selling is much less.

I recommend something no more than 5 years old.

The other thing is are they the short of people who enjoy working on things or do they always hire someone to do the odd jobs? Additionally what's their frustration level going to be when things don't work the way you'd like them to?

RVing can either be very enjoyable or a horrible experience and that's often determined by the individual.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 01:20 PM   #17

1. Rent first (to be sure you like it and learn what you like and don't like in a rig)
2. NEVER buy NEW for your first RV. (For me I am on my 4th and have never bought new, and likely never will) Too much lose if you make a mistake in the purchase - with used, you can probably still come close to break even if you want out after a year.
3 (after reading Kim's post below) Cash ...Pay Cash...I strongly urge everyone I know to Never finance TOYS.
jeffmcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 01:39 PM   #18

We didn't rent but did snoop at campgrounds. Our snoops were over four years. RV rental is not widespread around here. There are 27 units of differing makes and ages within 300 miles. None are recent models and and some are motorhomes. We knew we did not want one of those.

We did buy new but we went with the basic non tent RV.. Not much mechanical in it.. The more mechanicals you have the more you better have mechanical savvy.

I agree that to jump into a new large RV is folly.. We regard ours as a depreciating asset.. Its a toy.. We did not get into payments.. We bought what we had cash for. I also can't mentally fathom paying more than my first house for something we might spend two months a year in.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 03:15 PM   #19

I've got a good buddy who grew up taking motor home camping trips as a young boy. But he himself never owned an RV and now he's retired and looking to buy a brand new Class A or Class C (he won't buy used). So I recommended he first rent a couple of different units and camp close to home to try them out and gain some experience.

First, he rented a Class C and didn't like the layout or size. A few months later, he rented a Class A and had several problems with the rig while camping. After renting both rigs, now he's soured on buying his own unit.

I told him his trial period experiences are not necessarily typical, but that he should always expect there could be issues he may have to deal with. Well he's not handy by any means and he's easily intimidated by the thought of potential problems so I highly doubt he will get an RV of his own. Although this is not the result he expected, it's better to find out now that RV'ing is not the life he thought it was before he plops down a couple of hundred thousand dollars.
Old 03-26-2023, 05:34 AM   #20

Have them read this post.
Then answer any questions you can.
They should know a good part of RV ownership is repair, tinker, modify
Ensure that they know there is scant veracity among RV salespeople.
Don't lose a friendship over an RV.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote