Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2019, 07:18 AM   #1

Question What do you think is the Best RV GPS?

What RV GPS do you use (and like) ????
We have an old Rand McNally RV GPS that allows us to input our RV's specs, but it sometimes takes us on some weird paths and likes to change its mind enroute. We think it's time for an upgrade.

I've seen mixed reviews on RV GPS options. Features are nice, but we most want the GPS to tell us where our RV can safely travel, not send us on NY roads that are not permitted (I read this is an issue??), opt for more RV-friendly paths compared to overly dense ones where large vehicles shouldn't go (heard this was an issue too), and not lose satellite connection too frequently (another complaint I read). It's difficult sorting the good vs. the bad reviews.

While we enjoy RVing at our destination, the drive is always the most stressful part for us so we're looking for something to keep us out of trouble. We started with a travel trailer but have been traveling in a 31ft Class C since 2016.

What would you recommend for our next RV GPS purchase? Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom!
RVcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:39 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcoffee View Post
We have an old Rand McNally RV GPS that allows us to input our RV's specs, but it sometimes takes us on some weird paths and likes to change its mind enroute. We think it's time for an upgrade.

What would you recommend for our next RV GPS purchase? Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom!
We had the GARMIN 760 RV that was also part of the rear view camera system on our PINNACLE it also came with lifetime map updates and to me that is the key to any GPS. It's only as good as the maps that are loaded on it. If you don't up-date weekly or at least monthly you can end up on some bad routes.

That is why I really like using ON-STAR vs a portable unit, they are very good about updating the info on their system. More money, yes, but well worth the piece of mind in my opinion. i was even able to ask for truck routes when towing because of clearance uncertainty on non x-way routes.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
We had the GARMIN 760 RV that was also part of the rear view camera system on our PINNACLE it also came with lifetime map updates and to me that is the key to any GPS. It's only as good as the maps that are loaded on it. If you don't up-date weekly or at least monthly you can end up on some bad routes.

That is why I really like using ON-STAR vs a portable unit, they are very good about updating the info on their system. More money, yes, but well worth the piece of mind in my opinion. i was even able to ask for truck routes when towing because of clearance uncertainty on non x-way routes.
I have been using portable units [Garmin] and am now on #4 over a 20 year period. Almost all portable units now come with free map updates and also offer road hazard and traffic warnings ahead on your route. Built in's are fine once you get them figured out but when they fail they are hard to repair or replace. In many cases this is only a problem for the 2nd or 3 owners of a MH but eventually they will fail. A portable offers an affordable opportunity to upgrade to the latest technology every 3 - 5 years. I've never spent more than $160 for a GPS. Life goes on and #2 is in DW's driver, #3 is in my driver, and #4 [oldest] is in my fishing boat.

PS they don't build low bridges and tunnels every other week and a quick check on a website will give you a heads up about any potential bottle necks on a potential route. I would never blindly rely on any GPS to send me down a blind route without a little research the previous evening. The best and most current road info is available online any time or any day.

Another benefit of a portable unit is that it takes a while to understand the programs and get use to the screens and setup of any GPS. In my case since all my units are Garmin, they tend to function in the same general way. I don't have to remember a different format when I switch to a toad or a daily driver back home.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
I have been using portable units [Garmin] and am now on #4 over a 20 year period. Almost all portable units now come with free map updates and also offer road hazard and traffic warnings ahead on your route. Built in's are fine once you get them figured out but when they fail they are hard to repair or replace.
We're saying the same thing as long as you get and use the free updates regularly, RV-760 is a portable. I just said I prefer the ON-STAR system that GM uses.

ON-STAR is not a "built in" it is a live person downloading the directions to my car/truck. I also get traffic info and construction updates by the minute thru Sirius/XM radio. I can also get instant re-routes around major back-ups with a push of a button because they download the info immediately.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:48 AM   #5

A niece one, bit smaller and a little more economical, and will allow you to input RV size.

Garmin dezl 580 LMT-S

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-760LMT...gateway&sr=8-3

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:06 AM   #6

RV 760LMT for 6 years now.
Even with a RV GPS, you still should plan out your routes.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 03:17 PM   #7

Like the disclaimer says on our unit, this unit may not always be accurate or account for bridge height. Or somethin to that affect
Old 06-01-2019, 04:07 PM   #8

I recently acquired Garmin 780 and have only taken a 6 day trip so far. I didn't find anything to fault... yet. I have always owned Garmins and this one has a familiar interface but many more features, especially if you connect it to your smartphone. I'll update my opinion as i take multiple longer trips this summer.
DonkeyFluffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
RV 760LMT for 6 years now.
Even with a RV GPS, you still should plan out your routes.
We also use the 760. There is a 770 & 780 on the market.
Note on free lifetime updates, you can only update once a quarter.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:33 PM   #10

We’ve been using the Garmin 760LMT for several years now. Load in your camper’s height, combination weight and length. It’s done a great job so far but we always cross reference with the truckers atlas for bridge heights.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
We're saying the same thing as long as you get and use the free updates regularly, RV-760 is a portable. I just said I prefer the ON-STAR system that GM uses.

ON-STAR is not a "built in" it is a live person downloading the directions to my car/truck. I also get traffic info and construction updates by the minute thru Sirius/XM radio. I can also get instant re-routes around major back-ups with a push of a button because they download the info immediately.
Agree we are pretty much on the same page. I plug my GPS into the lap top before any road trip more than 150 miles from home. I can update my settings and get an updated map if available. Usually do the update before bedtime and it is all ready to go in the am. Time is short unless the unit is downloading an entire new map program.

The only experience I've had with ONSTAR is when it came on new vehicles. When the free period expires I'm done with it. Never used it when I had it. I live in a very rural area and when I responded to one of their continuation of service offers I was told that most of the features were not available in my home area. Don't remember the details, but it made the decision to say goodbye very easy.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:53 AM   #12
Lost in the Woods

I see a bunch of people have the 760 (which isn't made anymore).

Anyone have the 770 or 780?

I've been taking my standard Garmin out of my truck and take it with me in the coach, but thinking a dedicated RV unit might be a good idea. Not really interested in all the bells and whistles in the 770 or 780, but the specific RV related stuff sounds interesting.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I see a bunch of people have the 760 (which isn't made anymore).

Anyone have the 770 or 780?

I've been taking my standard Garmin out of my truck and take it with me in the coach, but thinking a dedicated RV unit might be a good idea. Not really interested in all the bells and whistles in the 770 or 780, but the specific RV related stuff sounds interesting.
There are several 760's on Amazon but if I was looking for one would get the 770 or 780 since prices so close. I like my 760 LMT. So not ready to upgrade,
I did learn how to use the traffic feature today after 3 years of owning it.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcoffee View Post

I've seen mixed reviews on RV GPS options. Features are nice, but we most want the GPS to tell us where our RV can safely travel, not send us on NY roads that are not permitted (I read this is an issue??), opt for more RV-friendly paths compared to overly dense ones where large vehicles shouldn't go (heard this was an issue too), and not lose satellite connection too frequently (another complaint I read). It's difficult sorting the good vs. the bad reviews.

While we enjoy RVing at our destination, the drive is always the most stressful part for us so we're looking for something to keep us out of trouble. We started with a travel trailer but have been traveling in a 31ft Class C since 2016.

+1 on the Garmin 760 as it’s RV specific and allows you to enter your rigs dimensions and can route you accordingly. Also shows gas stations that are RV friendly as far as pump access etc.
As others have said, keeping it updated is key though.
icr21801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:38 PM   #15

Gps

Our Rand McNally GPS went south 2 years ago, after about 4 years of occasional use. It was always a little wonky but when it kept telling me the distance from my destination was increasing every time I went over or under an overpass and rebooting didn't fix it, I turned it off and we finished the trip from Wisconsin to Eastern Pennsylvania using Waze. Most of the trip was on the highway and when we got off the highway, we were near home.
We have used Waze until our last trip when I tried a 14 day free trial period of CoPilot GPS for our trip to from Eastern PA to New Hampshire and back. It did a pretty good job. Did not take on any roads we should not have been on and kept us abreast of traffic. Sort of like Waze, but it handles RV's and Trucks as well as cars. The overall trip was about 600 miles so not extremely long, but not just around the corner either.
Having a map for a back up and Waze on my wife's phone just to make sure we weren't getting sent in a completely wrong direction also helped.
dwj164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:06 PM   #16

Garmin RV660LMT, seems to work OK, have a Zumo 650 on my M/C and it has road & weather as well as XM radio. Sometimes I will put the 660 on car mode as the RV/Truck routing is round-about.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:42 PM   #17

We have a Magellan Roadmate RV9490T-LMB. Overall it works pretty well. My only complaint is very minor, and that is it will occasionally report a red light camera or a speed camera where none exists.

The Magellan lets you switch between RV mode and Auto mode.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:56 PM   #18

I am sure of stories (I have heard of several sitting around the campfire) of folks that used their regular vehicle GPS in their RV and wound going way down a road and come to a too low bridge. Then got into the predicament of having a very hard time getting turned around.

YEP.... STICK WITH AN RV GPS!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:13 PM   #19

As previously stated by "MANY", I have Garmin 760..once all MH specs, loaded, great protective guidance. Upgrade maps every 6 most..been great!!
cybearnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:33 PM   #20

I dumped Rand McNally and went back to Garmin and have the Garmin 770 and so far it is doing better than my Rand McNally
Toad: 2013 Honda CRV
US NAVY & ARMY
GrayHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps