Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2015, 11:59 AM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie oakly View Post
...I cannot even get the dog(buddy) to carry anything in for me.
Cats aren't any better. Purrscilla just sits or lays under the TT and watches.
Attached Thumbnails
Purrscilla Under Jayco.jpg  

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:51 PM   #22

I don't own an RV and am renting one for first time usage in April. However, I'm very interested in getting one (class C). I sell hand stamped (from rubber stamps) crafty items at bazaars and this is what I use to haul my heavy containers in and out. I got mine at Lowe's which was actually about 10 bucks less than Amazon, but the Amazon link shows it folded down. This would work for you if you have your stuff in bins for hauling back and forth.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ing+Hand+Truck
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:56 PM   #23

Interesting how we all get the job done, even if we use different means. Being half full time we keep many items in the rig. Not necessarily food, but many other "camping only items". We have pans, dishes etc which are always in the camper. We pull the trailer on the drive and over a period of 3 or 4 days load clothes, food, other misc sundries into it. I turn the frig on a day or two before were leaving and load it up. So we don't do it all at one time. Here we do have totes or boxes we starting putting things in months before were leaving. Depending on the type of campground we will be at, we bring different items. Over the years we have really refined what we need and eliminated many items. Sometimes if you "need" something during the trip, it's easier to just purchase it locally rather than bring a ton of "maybe need" items.

Half...well part of the fun is anticipating the trip and getting "stuff" ready for it. Guess as i age, my needs become much less, wants even less

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 02:35 PM   #24

We keep non-perisable food and some things in fridge as we allways have it plugged in ready to go.Do a little rotation on foods.We have "rv clothes" that stay in the 5er(even some nice clothes for church/fancy restaurant ) and after every trip we wash and back in rv.Only cloths we wore on "leaving day" don't stay in the 5er.I also have a RV CPAP so I don't have to move back & forth.
On day we leave DW stops at grocery store and gets eggs/steaks/bacon/etc and we head out.
Others may do also but when we pack up to go home,we vacume floor and do a good cleaning & all wash items in a big laundry hamper & bag, then pull in slides and hit the road.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:17 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
We keep non-perisable food and some things in fridge as we allways have it plugged in ready to go.Do a little rotation on foods.We have "rv clothes" that stay in the 5er(even some nice clothes for church/fancy restaurant ) and after every trip we wash and back in rv.Only cloths we wore on "leaving day" don't stay in the 5er.I also have a RV CPAP so I don't have to move back & forth.
That is how my parents did it for many years. After the trip it was all washed and repacked, ready to go.

Our system, if we are leaving on a Friday after work. Tuesday plug in and turn on the Refrigerator. Wednesday, go grocery shopping. All trailer food is packaged together. It goes right into the HTT from the car. House items right to the house. Then grab the condiments out of house and pack them. Thursday, toss in the cloths. Each of us have our own cloths basket that fits in our wardrobe shelf. Often I even hook up the HTT so when we get home we can be out the door in 30 minutes to bet traffic.

Biggest issue we have, the DW is afraid we are going to go hungry so she insists on buy to much perishable food, hence at the end of the trip I have two laundry baskets if not more of food back into the house.

Typically everything else we need is already in the HTT.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpolsin View Post
I have found that moving food from the house pantry to trailer is a mental and physical PITA. usually something will have been forgotten.

A full menu is prepared for the trip and ALL food for the camping trip is purchased, then taken directly from the car to the trailer. Even if we have the same stuff in the house. I then stuff the grocery bags into a corner in the trailer. At the end of the trip all remaining perishables are brought into the house using the bags still in the trailer.

I buy small bottles of condiments at the start of the season. I take nothing from the house.

At the end of the season, all remaining food in the trailer (usually canned goods, smore stuff and condiments) gets incorporated into the house pantry and consumed over the course of the winter.

I hate the conversations of "you don't need to get that 'cause I think we have some in the house". This belief always ends up with a second trip to the grocery store.

As for clothes, we use laundry baskets. xfer the clothes to cupboards and take the baskets back in the house. when the kids were little, the basket stayed at the end of the bunks.

beer and soda are in the cooler and stowed under the table. Ice is bought when we get there.

My biggest time and sanity saver has been my grocery process. you may think you are buying more, but it will all get eaten eventually.

Tim

I do the same. I even leave canned goods if they have expiration out past the next season. On the last 2 trips, I stopped at the grocery as we got close to the destination. Kept me from carrying that weight with me, and stopped the "we have that in the house" immediately.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:30 PM   #27

Our TT is parked in our back yard which is at the end of the driveway. The driveway goes past the garage, which is located at one end of the house, with the door and a regular 36" entry door are at a right angle to the drive. No cars in garage; just motorcycle and a large work shop. This leads into the laundry area at the end of the kitchen.

So 30' from kitchen fridge to the steps of the camper when pulled up next to garage.

We keep most stuff we need in the camper so food and clothes are the only items we need to load.

We have a generic food list and a two other check lists we print out of the computer. One is for leaving home the other for breaking camp. Sort of like an aircraft preflight check list. Check off with a pen as they are gone thru.

We plan a menu for each day plus extra things we might want. We take more than we need but want to be flexible.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:25 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
And sometimes do you even need to carry Buddy?
Not so far, He is 56lbs I lift him out of the truck. it is far for them to jump. He will hurt himself.
I have a fold up latter that he uses to get in the car and truck.
I just set it up and he will climb up it, even if it is not near the truck.
Don't let those short legs fool you, this boy can jump. And he figures out how to get up on things.
Attached Thumbnails
snow fall 2013 005.jpg  
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:42 AM   #29

At the start of the season, we load our "camper" clothes back into the cabinets, normally with laundry baskets. After a trip they come inside to be laundered, then back to the camper. Food, we make a list of everything we need for the trailer, then hit the store, load it right from the car into the trailer. I have a 30A RV outlet on the house, so we let the frig run all season. At the end of the season, we unload everything into the house making several trips, but it is mostly clothes, as we try to consume all the food items on our last trip of the year. Dad & Mom have operated like this for many years before they went full-time so we just followed suit.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:06 AM   #30

Thanks for all the replies! So here in AZ there is not much you can leave in the trailer except clothes in the summer time and we do leave some of the basics in the rig. I'm like Iraqvet, the rig is stored due to HOA rules. So I get it the day before overnight parking only and plug it in to get the fridge cold and AC on. Then the trips begin between the house and rig, not fun when its 110 out. Anyway I ended up getting this
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Westfield-...-Blue/34109012
hopefully it will cut down on the trips. Happy Valentines Day, time to go camp!! 84 here today
Old 02-14-2015, 11:10 AM   #31

Hey I could put Buddy in there and pull them around (NOT) I would love to bring the trailer home to load it. but It is out in Chilliwack so it would take a day. I know the neighbors would not care. (townhouse) But council would not like.
And It would be a tight turn up by my house. But I could get done.
Attached Thumbnails
029.jpg  
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #32

You could always do what I did seven months ago: GO FULL-TIME! I just loaded it once (over the course of 3-4 days) using boxes, totes, and whatever I had available. Haven't had to unload/reload since!
Old 02-14-2015, 11:58 AM   #33

we use a grocery cart . it is a small version that you find in grocery stores . rolls from camper to house with very little effort
2013 Can am commander 1000 cc camo xt. 2003 Harley Davidson road king
slaw32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:11 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
You could always do what I did seven months ago: GO FULL-TIME! I just loaded it once (over the course of 3-4 days) using boxes, totes, and whatever I had available. Haven't had to unload/reload since!

If I didn't have 3, 6, &7 yr olds I just might!
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:36 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretCoveDave View Post
DW just uses me. Although she really likes telling the story of when I forgot my underwear!
Mine gives me a check list for just that reason

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:02 AM   #36

Hi, quick update this thing is the ticket! Two trips and done, so much easier, wish I got it awhile ago...
Old 03-28-2015, 11:04 AM   #37

This thing:

Ozark Trail Folding Wagon - Walmart.com

From my previous thread...
Old 03-29-2015, 07:29 AM   #38

We use a list as well for everything so we don't forget anything. We plan a menu and put all of the perishable items in the camper the day before we go. In the beginning of the year we put condiments, spices and canned goods in the camper we replenish them as needed. When we come home we plug the camper in, keep the fridge on but bring out the perishables but leave all the condiments in the fridge. We take the dirty clothes, towels etc out wash them and put them back in the camper so they are ready for the following week. We generally camp every weekend in the summer so this a set routine for us.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:40 AM   #39

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
We do the same thing
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote