Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-17-2020, 08:15 AM   #1

What is a surge Protector?

Just posting this form thoses that don't know.

https://rvmentor.com/2019/11/24/ems-...o0_1M3_i4tQ-P0

https://www.technorv.com/articles/do...rge-protector/

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:58 AM   #2

Cavie,

Thank you for posting these articles. They were good reads.

I'm curious, as a retired electrician, which EMS do you use?

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Cavie,

Thank you for posting these articles. They were good reads.

I'm curious, as a retired electrician, which EMS do you use?
Well, I don't use one because I am in perment seasonal site with known low voltage too low to use an EMS. I would never have electricity. Park is wired with too small of wire. Starts out just fine at 116 volts but goes south everytime you turn something on. I have a buck boost transformer on mine that boost 15% instead of the 10% hughes Autoformer. If I did buy one it would be the New Hughes Watch Dog w/bloothtooth.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:59 AM   #4

I have the Hughes Watchdog. It’s BIG but you can read incoming voltage and amps on both legs and total power consumption all from an app on your phone.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:04 PM   #5

I have the 50 amp portable Watch Dog EMS. Have good luck with mine so far - pretty cool to be able to see kw used line voltage and amp draw right on you phone.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:25 AM   #6

I’ve had the PT30X for about 13 months. Mine failed on our last trip. No error code was displayed and the incoming voltage was 121. But it was not passing any current through to the Greyhawk. Display showed zero amps being drawn.

I contacted Progressive Industries and submitted a warranty claim. A new replacement is being shipped. They don’t even want the old EMS returned. I know things fail. It’s nice to see a company stand behind their product without giving you a hassle.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 05:11 PM   #7

We use the SouthWire SurgeGuards. We just got the new one #34951 after our old one smoked its last MOV following springtime storms in the south. The new one tests the pedestal and applies power in only 10 seconds. It still has the 128 second delay to protect the A/C compressor, but only after it has cut power and then restored it following a fault. Very smart. And for $60 we got the proprietary bluetooth remote monitor for inside the house (without the need for a phone app.).

In fact we have two of them. One is a hot spare. When the last one died, no one could get us one online in less than two weeks, and we were worried, surrounded by storm and tornado watches. So we paid over retail to have a local RV dealer get us one overnight. We now treat the EMS as a consumable budget item, amortized over 18-24 months and will never be without one for a NY minute.

We purchased the spare from TechnoRV; one of our favorite vendors, and paid a very reasonable price.

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
We now treat the EMS as a consumable budget item, amortized over 18-24 months and will never be without one for a NY minute.Angus
Couldn't agree more. My 5 year old PI 30 amp portable failed last year and I had a new one in 7 days after a warranty claim. I think they're all pretty good for what they do but I seem to notice a lot more failures from PI units than others. Maybe they're not made as well as they used to be but they still stand behind their product 100%.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
We use the SouthWire SurgeGuards. We just got the new one #34951 after our old one smoked its last MOV following springtime storms in the south. The new one tests the pedestal and applies power in only 10 seconds. It still has the 128 second delay to protect the A/C compressor, but only after it has cut power and then restored it following a fault. Very smart. And for $60 we got the proprietary bluetooth remote monitor for inside the house (without the need for a phone app.).

In fact we have two of them. One is a hot spare. When the last one died, no one could get us one online in less than two weeks, and we were worried, surrounded by storm and tornado watches. So we paid over retail to have a local RV dealer get us one overnight. We now treat the EMS as a consumable budget item, amortized over 18-24 months and will never be without one for a NY minute.

We purchased the spare from TechnoRV; one of our favorite vendors, and paid a very reasonable price.

Angus
I have 2 PT50X units for exactly the same reason you have your units. If one dies for any reason I have a spare to put in service immediately while I'm replacing the one that died. I will not plug in anywhere (including my home base site) without my PT50X in line first.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote