Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2022, 07:48 PM   #1

What is blocking my toilet/black tank??

After having an issue with flooding when flushing my black tank I noticed visible standing water and tp when I flush the toilet and look down the toilet drain. The tank is completely emptied and has not been used and seems to be blocked with something like a trap door or valve just below the toilet. I took a long stick to see if my eyes were seeing things and sure enough it stops just below the toilet as if a trap door is closed which allows some water to pass but not much else. Does any one have any idea what this could be?
Javin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 07:54 PM   #2

Poo pyramid?
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 08:10 PM   #3

No this is something hard and plastic. Is it possible for the black tank to shift?
Old 07-18-2022, 08:15 PM   #4

Anything is possible, but it's not probable. Sounds like a trip to the dealer is in your future.

Can you shoot a picture?
Old 07-18-2022, 08:27 PM   #5

Depending on the rig, it may not be a straight shot into the tank so there may be a couple elbows and the "pyramid" is at the end of them.
Old 07-18-2022, 08:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
Anything is possible, but it's not probable. Sounds like a trip to the dealer is in your future.

Can you shoot a picture?
I tried taking a picture but its really difficult to see. It looks as if the tank is full as you can see liquid not too far below the toilet, however when you pour water down the toilet is passes. That is why I grabbed a stick and sure enough it is blocked by something very hard and plastic just below the toilet. Will be calling the service ppl but thought I would ask on here as its bugging me not knowing and perhaps someone else has experienced this.
Old 07-18-2022, 08:49 PM   #7

Just to clarify it has always been a straight shot down to the tank on our trailer. This just happened after our last trip. I dumped the tank and it emptied as usual but when I flushed the tank water started flooding the bathroom at the black tank flush inlet. I replaced the breaker valve and checked the inlet pipes which were all clear. That’s when I noticed something blocking the tank flush just below the toilet. Plus the sensor says the tank is 2/3 full even though it’s empty. It’s like a trap door or a valve closed just below our toilet. Strange indeed.
Old 07-18-2022, 09:35 PM   #8

What camper do you have?

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 10:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagiven View Post
what camper do you have?
16xrb
Old 07-18-2022, 10:56 PM   #10

That tt, has a very shallow tank. Are you sure you are not seeing the bottom of the tank? When drained, there is always a little moisture. Seeing a little TP, would not surprise me.

After dumping, it is wise to add about 10% by volume of clear water back into the black tank.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 07-18-2022, 11:08 PM   #11

No it’s definitely not the bottom of the tank. I have had it for 6 years now and this is a new problem. It seems like something has covered the tank about 12 inches below the toilet.
Old 07-18-2022, 11:12 PM   #12

How much far down do you think the bottom of the tank is below this hard block?

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 07-18-2022, 11:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
How much far down do you think the bottom of the tank is below this hard block?
I would guess a couple more feet beyond this. What ever it is it’s located around the top of the tank where the water from the blank tank flush comes in. I can no longer do a black tank flush with out it flooding the bathroom.
Old 07-18-2022, 11:45 PM   #14

Not sure what the issue is with the black tank flush. But your tank is only maybe 6" deep. It is full width of the tt frame rails, maybe 20" wide. And the depth of the frame rails. It is not multiple feet deep.

Think about how your tt is built. The tank is below the floor and above the bottom of the frame rails. If you have an open underbelly, lay on the ground and look up under your tt. If you have a closed underbelly look at the frame height, at the front or rear of the tt. That is your maximum tank depth. Thats it, maybe 6". The 2018 black tank spec on your tt is 25.4 gallons.

No disrespect, but I think you need to review how you are flushing your tank. I suspect pending on where you are at, you may be filling it very quickly. I do not like my black tank valve close for more than 1 minute when flushing. I'm to considered about over filling and making a mess. As I recall my black tank is 30 gallons, it would only take a short distraction to over fill and make a huge mess.

Good luck

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 07-19-2022, 03:59 AM   #15

I have a 16 XRB, and that tank is only about 6” deep. I’m wondering if during manufacturing the cutout of the hole for the toilet was not removed, and has somehow caused restriction. Just recently while dumping my black tank I watched a blue glove come out. I never ever flushed one.
ultrarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 05:30 AM   #16

Is there any kind of deflector in these units? Mine has a deflector right at the top. I need a flexible wand to get into the tank itself. Just seems strange. I didn't think blacks dumped directly down, but maybe some do...idk.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 05:45 AM   #17

Do you have another water inlet outside for a black tank flush? Having daughters not experienced with RVing when the RV was new, I encountered the occasional backup due to the flush pipe protruding under the toilet drain. Can’t get to create a pyramid if it gets clogged in the tube. We had some s’mores sticks hand (now known as “Schmitt sticks”) that we use for just such an occasion. Once cleared, had to tell the kids to hold the pedal down for awhile to clear the top, etc. thru. You might be experiencing the same.
Old 07-19-2022, 07:28 AM   #18

These may help.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.jpg  
Old 07-19-2022, 07:40 AM   #19

The 16Xrb has a straight down shot to the tank. No deflector, no elbows. You could try using a water wand down the bowl to see what develops. You just might see something foreign floating in the tank.
ultrarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 08:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Is there any kind of deflector in these units? Mine has a deflector right at the top. I need a flexible wand to get into the tank itself. Just seems strange. I didn't think blacks dumped directly down, but maybe some do...idk.

FWIW,-
My 5er (pinnacle) is plumbed straight down a 4' drop into the black tank. A flashlight down toilet shows black tank flush water flowing on the tank bottom when empty.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote