Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-05-2017, 10:39 PM   #21

I have been using my Jeep built in GPS but no update since built in 2014. Now it is making more and more mistakes, does not know new roads, business, etc.

Wanted to update but Fiat/Jeep charges $149 to update once. I find that a ridiculous amount and am thinking of going back to my Garmin with lifetime free map updates.

Anybody found the Jeep update cheaper?
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I have been using my Jeep built in GPS but no update since built in 2014. Now it is making more and more mistakes, does not know new roads, business, etc.

Wanted to update but Fiat/Jeep charges $149 to update once. I find that a ridiculous amount and am thinking of going back to my Garmin with lifetime free map updates.

Anybody found the Jeep update cheaper?
I would be surprised to find it cheaper as you can only get the updates for FCA products through FCA (Uconnect). Not sure if they ever have a sale or special on that as my RAM didn't come with the factory nav activated. About the only time the truck goes any distance is pulling the camper so I wanted an RV-specific GPS anyway. My Garmin RV 660LMT w/LifeTime map updates was only about $300 on sale. FCA charges $595 to activate the nav later so I'm already well ahead with the Garmin.

The DW's CR-V is $99 for map updates. It's a 2014 also and we just did the first update earlier this year. I'll probably suck it up and do the CR-V every couple of years because she does use it for some longer trips several times a year.

I'd pick up one of the RV-specific Garmin models with lifetime updates - then you can take it with you if/when you move on from the Jeep. In the 3 years I've had the Garmin I've updated the maps 8 times. Assuming a once a year update if I had the FCA Nav in the RAM I'd already be out $150 more than my RV 660LMT and I wouldn't have all the RV-specific data points to search through on the maps.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:26 AM   #23

iPhone 6
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:14 AM   #24

In dash Sync 3 Navigation in my 2016 F-150. But still waiting for map update from Ford.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:09 AM   #25

I live in an area of Washington that our DOT can't seem to stick with a road plan for more than about six month's at a time. The biggest problem I have with built-in or stand-alone GPS units is the life-cycle of maps lags behind and are not accurate.

I do like the idea of a dedicated RV GPS... but the map issue is one I don't see going away. So for now I use Waze on my phone most of the time.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:13 AM   #26

We too use the app Waze on our phone. Our Greyhawk does have a GPS, but we find Waze easier to use and more informative.

You can tell Waze to avoid toll roads, it warns you of traffic jams, slow downs, weather, general hold ups in traffic, accidents, police, even offers up to three alternative routes for your destination. Lastly, its a socially driven app, so when there is an accident, you can ask the person that posted the notice on map, "Which lane is blocked?" so that you can be prepared ahead of time.

Coming back from Florida on I-95, there was a massive accident, stopped traffic for miles, Waze routed us off the first exit that was 1/4 mile away -- we took a county road for 20 miles to go around the traffic jam created, Waze saved us an "estimated 55 minutes". Yes, it calculates delay time so you can choose to ride through it or find an alternate route. It has never failed to aid me in our destinations.
hussieskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:38 AM   #27

Garmin 760 RV here w/free lifetime map updates. But gotta tell you that it wants to take us places by some pretty illogical routing at times compared to the cell phone mapper and plain common sense. We find ourselves ignoring the Garmin at times because of this.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:24 PM   #28

This is the solution that works for me.

We call it the red dot. It speaks to my ipad via bluetooth. I have downloaded all the maps I need to my ipad so it does not use my dataplan while on the road. Very accurate. Should work with a phone too. Free map updates.

Great product.

Dual XGPS150A Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electron...h+GPS+Receiver
Yamaha EF3000iseb generator
Renogy 100 Watt Solar Suitcase
ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:51 PM   #29

Send a message via AIM to BillV Send a message via MSN to BillV
Hard to beat Garmin GPS.
BillV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:03 PM   #30

My GPS is Kitty in the passenger seat with a road map which explains why I'm lost all the time but very good at making U-turns!
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:22 PM   #31

My nagavator has been commanding the right seat for over 40 years. She has done a great job of finding the 40 acres when we need to turn around

We truly miss Microsoft Streets and Trip for trip planning and not needing a cell connection.
But my nagavator does have an atlas handy, or for you millennial's not familiar with an atlas, we've printed Google Maps.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:29 AM   #32

I would stay away from the Rand Mcnally tablets. I have had two. The first one would not turn on the second time I went to use it. CW replaced it with another one and the second time I went to use it the gps would not come up. Took it back and got a Magellan. Used it once, so far so good. We will see how it holds up.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:32 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nOZ View Post
I use the Garmin 760 LMT. It is made for TT's. It allows you to put in your combined weight, height and length. It also contains POI's for campgrounds and RV repair stations.
I'm going to have to check that Garmin out.

We're in Colorado, and have a lot of prairie and mountains around that often leave you without cell coverage when using your smartphone. I use Sygic app on the phone that uses offline maps that you can download to your phone. It will use cell data for traffic when available, and keeps the maps up to date.
There is a one time license fee of about $25. If you worry about storage space, you can download just what you need for a trip, and delete when done. There's no charge for downloading maps whenever you need one. I've got Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, and Arizona on my phone now. Of course, these states tend not to have a lot of need for big city details. The east coast might require more storage "maintenance."
We used it on Lake Powell, very convenient on the ski boat to find your way back to the house boat.
Tom51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:55 AM   #34

I'm still using my old Garmin 855. It's getting long in the tooth, but still works. I have toyed with the idea of getting the Garmin that built for RV's. Assuming it works as advertised, I like the fact one can enter type and size of the RV.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:14 AM   #35

The Garmin 770 RV-LMT is junk. Horrible at routings it will make bad choices in roads. Google maps is much better. Once traveled 17 miles for a 1 mile journey.[emoji35] It now resides to the glove box. Huge waste of Money.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Overloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:40 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
My nagavator has been commanding the right seat for over 40 years. She has done a great job of finding the 40 acres when we need to turn around

We truly miss Microsoft Streets and Trip for trip planning and not needing a cell connection.
But my nagavator does have an atlas handy, or for you millennial's not familiar with an atlas, we've printed Google Maps.
10-4, Good Buddy. DW all the way- weaned in Dad's trucking company and scary smart. I scored! If I bought a GPS, she would heave it out the window.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:23 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overloaded View Post
The Garmin 770 RV-LMT is junk. Horrible at routings it will make bad choices in roads. Google maps is much better. Once traveled 17 miles for a 1 mile journey.[emoji35] It now resides to the glove box. Huge waste of Money.

Could be the default preferences set for your routes.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:04 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
Could be the default preferences set for your routes.
One would like to believe that but it's junk. I have been round and round with Garmin. There is a CG a hour from me a GPS takes the worst routes possible out of numerous options. Garmin customer service agrees as compared to Google maps. Go figure They are their engineers looking into it.

Overloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:17 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overloaded View Post

Been there, done that...

It was late, and dark, and I missed the entrance to the CG, but never mind, George the Garmin is showing us we can loop back on the next road...

What appeared to be a road, quickly turned into a Forestry Department firebreak, which got narrower and narrower... but never mind, we can turn round in one of these other roads the Garmin shows just up ahead... only apparently they never got round to actually building them.

Dark, tired, towing our brand new hybrid deeper and deeper into the woods, on a sand track, that cambered off sharply into a ditch at either side... Oh, and watch out for the fallen trees across the "road". I swear I heard banjos, at one point, and the signs saying "Beware of the dragon" didn't help..

We got out of there eventually, but no thanks to Garmin. (Big old warhorse of a Jeep, and some brute force..)
These days, I'll take "advice" from George, then I'll verify with my own eyes and common sense.

Ian, the man from Scotland

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:28 AM   #40

I new my Garmin was old get this its model #255!Still have my Arizona topo map from my 4 wheeling days. Hummm 255 vs 760 may be time to check in with Santa!LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Tombstone 09 (4).jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote