Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-14-2020, 08:30 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
The Fast Lane Car (YouTube channel) did a video about towing a trailer with a Tesla. They wanted to see if they could do it reasonably effectively. Their conclusion was "no, you can't". At least with that setup. They ended up calling one of the other guys to bring them a truck to finish the journey.
Thanks Camper_bob, I'll have to check that channel out!

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:37 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Thanks Camper_bob, I'll have to check that channel out!
They have lots of good stuff out there between TFL Truck, TFL Car, etc.

They do some interesting comparison videos, and they have a "torture test" where they will max out a truck and take it up to the Eisenhower Tunnel in Colorado just to see how it does. They'll even sometimes do 2 or three trucks at the same time for a side-by-side comparo of the the test.

And it's funny when one of them is a fanboy about a particular vehicle and it performs below their expectations. They don't hide the fact that they're fanboys, and they don't hide the fact that the vehicle didn't live up to their expectations. It can be pretty funny sometimes, and certainly enlightening.

Their tests aren't what I would call "scientific", but they're pretty good and are presented in a way that most normal people can understand what they're doing in a real-world, non-laboratory kind of way.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:47 AM   #23

The trends I see in society are not encouraging. The level of self absorption and inconsiderate behavior is staggering.

Am I wrong, or did people used to stay in their lanes a lot better?

I live near the beach on Lake Michigan, and to get to my home I have to travel a 25mph stretch of road with a lot of scenery. I often get behind someone going 15mph, and I'll give a quick toot-toot on the horn. Only once did someone pull over to let me by. If I found myself driving too slow and got a reminder from another driver, I would pull over or speed up immediately. And, if I want to sight-see, I'll pull over without a reminder.

And, people are getting so touchy. If someone is being noisy at their campsite, etc., the most polite request to stop can cause problems.

Yes, I've seen the hammer drills in action at the campground. Idiots! The first one I encountered had to keep going round and round his rig re-doing and fine tuning it.

Skybound mentioned the air conditioners running 24/7 when there's no need. We occasionally see that. We'll take a walk around the campground with jackets on...low 60's...and there will be an RV with the AC roaring away. Bewildering. If they're close to your RV it's awful.

Barking dogs. 'Nuf said.

And, there's the loud family. The kids are all screamers, and the parent's voices have the volume controls stuck on 10. Or, is it 11?

A couple years ago, we had a very loud drunk a couple RVs away. Went on for hours and into the night. We tried to think of a way to repay the jerk. Our plan only got as far as flipping their hand rail over their door, and chucking a compressed air horn under their trailer at 3a.m.. Our plan never got as far as figuring out how to duct tape the button on the horn and get away unseen. Sure, we would have affected the entire park, but.....
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:50 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
It is no different than it is anywhere else. Parking lots full of trash, uncontrolled kids in stores, unruly behavior in schools. It’s our fault. The adults of today that allow this to happen are our children of yesterday.

Think about it for awhile. Our generation is reaping what we sowed.

The saying is “Let them be, kids will be kids” remember that? How did it work out?
I wasn't raised that way and neither are my kids.
We were taught ACCOUNTABILITY and so are my kids!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:00 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
Exactly.

That's why I always make a point to mention that behavior is not age specific.

I see plenty of "younger" folks that are doing it right, and plenty of "older" ones NOT doing it right.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-14-2020, 09:44 AM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
I kind of think it's a case of "it has it, so I should use it" syndrome. They don't need AC, but since it has it, it needs to be on. They don't need bright LED lights all over the outside of the trailer, but since it has it, it needs to be on. They don't need to have the outdoor speakers going all day with some garbage radio station tuned in, but since it has it, it needs to be on. It's dumb. Always an all-systems-go camping trip.
This is a very good point. My newest RV is a 2017, 4 seasons old at this point. It doesn't have those front LED accent lights that we are seeing on many of the new units. As you said, it is almost as if since they are there, owners feel the need to leave them on.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:53 AM   #27

Quote:
Exactly.

I see plenty of "younger" folks that are doing it right, and plenty of "older" ones NOT doing it right.
Bob, your earlier post was very well said and thoughtful. And you are right, it’s not age specific, although the older I get, the less I seem to have in common with younger folks. No problem if it doesn’t affect me. I’m happy to see young folks with kids camping and getting enjoyment from nature instead of a Video arcade. Your son sounds like our grandsons — hopefully they become the norm in society as we go forward and not the obnoxious, loud, self-indulgent people with hammer drills!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:11 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Rivian is coming out with a battery electric pickup truck that they state can tow 11k lbs. But for how far is my question. The company I work for is a major investor in Rivian so I want them to do well, and I also love the idea of electric vehicles, but I don't know how they tow. Torque is no problem (railway locomotives use electric traction motors), but longevity is my concern.
I have a plugin hybrid mini van and it is so much fun to drive on electric. I think an electric pickup or SUV would make a great weekend warrior tow vehicle if correctly setup. I was really excited about the cyber truck then I saw it.
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:21 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
This is a very good point. My newest RV is a 2017, 4 seasons old at this point. It doesn't have those front LED accent lights that we are seeing on many of the new units. As you said, it is almost as if since they are there, owners feel the need to leave them on.
I don't have those but my awning lights are super bright. I sometimes have them on at night so my wife can see to get in and out of the trailer as she has vision issues. I sometimes forget to turn them off. If you are ever camping with me and you see mine on please come and tell me, I would appreciate that. Wish I could have a JOF sticker on the trailer to id myself hum interesting project for my Cricut maybe.
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
Old 08-14-2020, 10:22 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
I am trying to do the same for my kid. I will constantly tell him about respecting others, to not walk through others sites, etc.
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
Old 08-14-2020, 10:23 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgale View Post
I don't have those but my awning lights are super bright. I sometimes have them on at night so my wife can see to get in and out of the trailer as she has vision issues. I sometimes forget to turn them off. If you are ever camping with me and you see mine on please come and tell me, I would appreciate that. Wish I could have a JOF sticker on the trailer to id myself hum interesting project for my Cricut maybe.
You used to be able to purchase JOF stickers around here somewhere...?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-14-2020, 10:24 AM   #32

Quote:
Exactly.

We all have a habit of making those generalisations. Another one I hear is about the work ethics of the younger, but I have experienced work with and managing those kids and they work as hard as or harder than I ever have, it is just not on the 9 to 5 schedule that I like to work. There are jerks of all ages and they tend to raise jerks as well.
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
Old 08-14-2020, 10:25 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Bob, your earlier post was very well said and thoughtful. And you are right, it’s not age specific, although the older I get, the less I seem to have in common with younger folks. No problem if it doesn’t affect me. I’m happy to see young folks with kids camping and getting enjoyment from nature instead of a Video arcade. Your son sounds like our grandsons — hopefully they become the norm in society as we go forward and not the obnoxious, loud, self-indulgent people with hammer drills!
I hope so too. That's why we stress setting the example so much. If he's a good example for his friends ... if we're a good example for our friends and neighbors, maybe it will spread a little?

We were camping with a couple last week whose son used an impact on a stabilizer on another one of their trailers and tore up the gears doing it. Seriously, no need for an impact driver on stab jacks. When I see people doing that around the RV park I just shake my head and think to myself "have fun replacing that when you break it".

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-14-2020, 10:41 AM   #34

Quote:
I hope so too. That's why we stress setting the example so much. If he's a good example for his friends ... if we're a good example for our friends and neighbors, maybe it will spread a little?

We were camping with a couple last week whose son used an impact on a stabilizer on another one of their trailers and tore up the gears doing it. Seriously, no need for an impact driver on stab jacks. When I see people doing that around the RV park I just shake my head and think to myself "have fun replacing that when you break it".
For sure. I’ve resisted getting a socket for my drill to use on the stab jacks. And I know folks probably smile or smirk when they see me hand-cranking our tongue jack. Yeah, I could replace it with an electric, but it’s quiet and hand-cranking these things burns a few calories!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:53 AM   #35
Site Team

I still hand crank our stab jacks. That's how I know they're snug enough, by feel. The tongue jack is another story. The DW takes care of the up and down, hitching up. She was OK with a manual jack when we didn't have a WDH for the pop up. When we bought the TT, it came with a manual tongue jack. I believe it was about 4 seconds after we hitched up WITH the WDH the first time, she told me to order an electric one! I said "yes dear". Happy wife...well, you know...

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:02 AM   #36
Site Team

One of my daughters loves to run the stab jacks down. I hand her the wrench, she goes to town, loves every minute of it, and I snug them up at the end. Considering that she's only 5, I don't have the heart to tell her that she is supposed to hate it......LOL

Old 08-14-2020, 11:04 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
One of my daughters loves to run the stab jacks down. I hand her the wrench, she goes to town, loves every minute of it, and I snug them up at the end. Considering that she's only 5, I don't have the heart to tell her that she is supposed to hate it......LOL
LOL!! I have a feeling she'll hate it soon enough...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-14-2020, 11:15 AM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
LOL!! I have a feeling she'll hate it soon enough...
So true. My oldest daughter stopped willingly helping out with setup etc. around 12. Now, when we arrive at a site, she goes in the trailer and reads a book while we do everything. She will help if we ask her, but doesn't go out of her way like she used to.

My youngest is a wild child however. My oldest, very reserved. Maybe she will hang on to the "daddy's helper" attitude a little longer.

Old 08-14-2020, 11:24 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
She was OK with a manual jack when we didn't have a WDH for the pop up. When we bought the TT, it came with a manual tongue jack. I believe it was about 4 seconds after we hitched up WITH the WDH the first time, she told me to order an electric one! I said "yes dear". Happy wife...well, you know...
Avoided that with the Andersen WDH — nice and light. An electric jack will probably come when either my arm or the crank gives out — one or the other.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:31 AM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Avoided that with the Andersen WDH — nice and light. An electric jack will probably come when either my arm or the crank gives out — one or the other.
Well, I just happen to have a brand new, used once crank jack in the garage if yours needs replacing! Lol!

Our dealer threw in the Equalizer WDH when we bought the TT. I learned about the Anderson on the forum. Had I known, I would've asked for one of those.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote