Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2021, 12:01 PM   #21

My priority is fridge first then the shower drain. The sove is next to my fridge, so that kinda falls into place with the fridge.

I use leveling ramps on my class C with this device below. I’ve found over the past 6 years this works well. I also leave a little leeway and take into consideration that when my wall slide goes out on the drivers side, it may throw it off a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DW954UC...XBM78WMF0W0JDX
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 12:35 PM   #22

I recently got a LevelMatePRO (my 2nd actually). The first one was 1st gen and I didn’t like it much, it worked fine but seemed to always be needing a battery. My current one is 2nd gen which has an on/off switch.
Entered some measurements of the 5th, spent some time with my 24” bubble level, told LM “this is level” and we’re good to go.
I’ve double checked it’s results a couple of times and it’s plenty accurate.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 12:48 PM   #23

Ya'll may not believe this, but when we had our pop up camper, I leveled it even though the fridge in it was non-operational. Made it more comfortable for sleeping. I found when I leveled it before popping the roof up and extending the bunks, I was really low in the nose. I figured out when I leveled it, if I kept it a full bubble high in the front, when set up it would be perfectly level front to back. Our current rig has auto leveling so I don't worry about it anymore though I do check it with a small torpedo level.
2021 Keystone Cougar 27SABWE
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 01:02 PM   #24

I use the Equalizer System auto level feature on our Pinnacle 5th wheel. After auto leveling using the Jay Command app on my phone I verify our position using the Bubble Level phone app. This sequence works great for us as I was always searching for that elusive little hand held level. No problem now since my phone is always nearby. Doing it all by phone as I walk around the trailer really simplifies the whole process.
fsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 01:23 PM   #25

i use a simple 9" torpedo level on the inside floor, i figure i walk on the floor inside not the frame. i keep the level just inside the door on the floor. i check it without even stepping in, simply place the level on the floor inside the door.
don't forget to side to side also.
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 01:59 PM   #26

leveling...wow

So, having acquired our latest pop, I was pleasantly surprised that the original owner had placed 2" bubble levels immediately below the jack! Another pleasant surprise was they're actually "right on" or within a degree or 2.

I hadn't considered the fridge, which while it seems absolutely "the thing" to be concerned about. Obviously, it would be a pretty significant evolution as naturally, the fridge is in the far back corner, pretty much inaccessible without popping up as well as pulling the slide. Ask things stand, I think I'll get stick one on the back as well as one near the door. Anyone think I should go a different route on this? We don't have AC, and I've been using the famous Camco levelling blocks as needed.
Marty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 02:45 PM   #27

For you folks with fridges that are inaccessible until AFTER you should be level (blocked by slides and such), just do it once. Get your rig where the fridge is level, and then set another leveling device at "zero" somewhere you can access it.

Personally, we use our auto-leveling jacks to level, but mine are out of adjustment slightly (it's a little low in the front). I'm SUPER sensitive to level, and can "eyeball" it almost exact, almost every time. When in doubt, I'll take a "lap" inside the rig and can tell if it's even slightly off. Certainly WELL within the specs of the fridge.

I like to be ever so slightly "nose high" so the AC condensate goes off the back of the rig. So I'll put the levelers in "manual" mode and nudge the nose up just a little.

My TT didn't have leveling jacks, so we used the "lego" blocks. DW put the torpedo level inside the door and stacked the blocks for me to drive on. Then when I was unhooking, DW would again place the torpedo level and tell me when to stop the tongue jack. Once level, we'd drop the stab jacks, then put out the slide. Sure, there are easier ways, but that worked just fine for us for many years, and we got to be pretty darn good at it, so it never took very long.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:16 PM   #28

There is setting up the trailer the first time Level.. AKA first time you set it up and own it...

Fridge is important, drains, doors, stove, ETC. all important to take into consideration.

Then getting the same info to you outside when your parking level of info. having a reference point, $4 level you stick on the side or digital level on a auto system, or some other point you decide on.

First trailer I setup stick on levels worked good... second trailers I pushed a button.. 3rd well im back to stick on levels but it came with them.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 04:00 PM   #29

I mounted small front-to-back and side-to-side levels on the A-frame. They are shimmed and fairly accurate. Our floor and refrig are on the same plane so we check the level on the floor. I keep a 2' long piece of aluminum L and torpedo level right inside the door. From the outside we put the level on the long L, front-to-back and side-to-side and we're all set. We keep it the trailer level within 1/3 of a bubble and adjust the trailer level with 2x6 boards under the low tire as needed.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 05:38 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
We hit auto level- set it and forget it.
But I do want to check it a and zero it out. Stil not sure how to do it. You could have the frame twisted like a pretzel and still have one level spot on the floor, or refrigerator. Don't want to let that happen.
If I mess with the original setting, I'm going to want to make sure my frame rails are level and perpendicular.
I guess I need to go to youtube to see if anyone gets down into the weeds and can show how to precisely control each leg, and how to take these measurements.
My auto level was way off by inches. I set my laser up in the front and shot it into the back bedroom and checked the sides, I reset the autol level and now we set it manually so it doesn't get to high. Auto level still works when manually leveling it will tell you when you're there
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:19 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
I’ve placed 2 levels on my TT, one on the rear ( checked by DW as I back in ) & the other one on the side that I crank up or down as needed to level. I check them for accuracy twice a year and in 8 years they have never needed adjustment.
Hopkins levels are the best. https://smile.amazon.com/Hopkins-085...8731015&sr=8-3 Why? They have a straight edge on the bottom that can be aligned with the bottom edge of a frame member or with horizontal trim along the side of your rig. Easy to install without the rigors of leveling the rig prior to installation.

Use the bubbles and stay within two hashmarks of dead center, and your fridge will be happy. BTW, side to side is more critical, because the level is only 8 feet long, while front to back, the level is the length of your rig.

It's pretty easy to stay within two hashmarks...usually it's easy to hit just one. Again, side to side is the challenge since your tongue jack can make front to rear dead perfect.

P.S. Don't just rely on the double-sided sticky tape. Use screws. The good news is that if you replace a damaged Hopkins with another Hopkins, the screws are perfectly positioned for a quick, accurate replacement.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:05 PM   #32

So I guess ny system of starting at the fridge and then open the bathroom door 1/2 way and let go. If it stays still and not swing open or close....I'm set....not good huh!
Bucket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 11:45 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket2 View Post
So I guess ny system of starting at the fridge and then open the bathroom door 1/2 way and let go. If it stays still and not swing open or close....I'm set....not good huh!
Actually, I’ve done that myself! If the door stays in place, it’s usually just right.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:55 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
Hopkins levels are the best. https://smile.amazon.com/Hopkins-085...8731015&sr=8-3

P.S. Don't just rely on the double-sided sticky tape. Use screws. The good news is that if you replace a damaged Hopkins with another Hopkins, the screws are perfectly positioned for a quick, accurate replacement.
Agreed, and check them regularly with my 2’ in my driveway. So nice to be hands free during set-up because there are so many other things to do.
Old 08-12-2021, 08:15 AM   #35

Quote:
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:00 AM   #36

Quote:
I don't see any problem with this at all. Perfectly valid method IMO.

Honestly, people talk about making sure the fridge is level. But the spec on the range the fridge can operate in is pretty broad. If the fridge were out of level enough to be "out of spec", you'd CERTAINLY notice. It would be very uncomfortable to be in your rig that far out of level.

If you're out of level enough for your fridge to be out of spec, and you don't notice, you probably just need to put the bottle down and go to bed ... just make sure your head is above your heart when you lay down...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-12-2021, 09:04 AM   #37

Someone once suggested putting a can of beer on the floor and when it stops rolling due to leveling adjustments, drink it. Sounds like a great idea and would probably work with my V8 as well. : )
Old 08-12-2021, 09:07 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollander Mutthaulers View Post
Someone once suggested putting a can of beer on the floor and when it stops rolling due to leveling adjustments, drink it. Sounds like a great idea and would probably work with my V8 as well. : )
Is there Vodka in your V8? Just curious, I didn't know there was any other way to drink it...

I've seen people say that so long as their egg stays put in the frying pan on the stove, it's good to go.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-12-2021, 09:53 AM   #39

I know I'm really level when the half open bathroom door stays in place!
Old 08-12-2021, 11:22 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Is there Vodka in your V8? Just curious, I didn't know there was any other way to drink it...

I've seen people say that so long as their egg stays put in the frying pan on the stove, it's good to go.
Sounds like a healthy Bloody Mary? lol

Eggs remind me of the 1"x24" fried eggs I used to see on the galley grill as an LST sailor. I think that ship rolled 20 degrees on its own wake in flat seas. Marines we on-loaded at Camp Lejeune got a quick introduction as we soon rounded Cape Hatteras. : )