Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-05-2020, 05:15 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markomyt1 View Post
I don't know about one in a million.

However, I have seen at least 5 trailers on fire along side the road over the years.
The only ignition source I can imagine is the refrigerator or water heater.
I choose to turn the propane off while rolling and catch up at the destination.

This is what my owner's manual says...

Driving with the propane system on can
add to the danger if you are involved in an
accident or have a fire. Most refrigerators
will keep food cold or frozen for eight
hours without running while you travel.
Shut the propane system off at the
propane cylinder.

Cheers!

-Mark-
I'm not commenting here on your post, but rather are you instructions and owner's manuals in general. They have become in many cases useless. I bought a camera, a little modern-day brownie a few years ago. The fold up owners manual, in small print, had page after page after page of warnings of how this camera could kill me. The warnings are so ridiculous that is it clear, they are written by lawyers. What I'm looking for is the lawsuit that says, there were so many warning that I could not find the instructions on how to operate it and therefore damage was done. If you're the plaintiff in that case you want me on your jury
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:41 AM   #22

I have read hundreds of posts on this subject and I guess I can see a small risk in running the fridge on propane while traveling. That being said, I've done it for years without issue and with the tiny flame located behind the fridge vent cover and enclosed in a metal chimney I think the risk is miniscule at best.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:23 AM   #23

Yes, I agree with you. But, those burning trailers make me wonder... they could have been a blowout or a hot bearing too.
Stay stay an happy travels!

-Mark-
Markomyt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 02:37 PM   #24

Propane is not easy to ignite unless the proper ration of air to propane is met. Propane only ignites when between about 2% to 9% mixture. You can check out mythbusters, they fired incendiary rounds into a propane tank and could not get it to ignite. Also in an accident if a line breaks the propane is immediately shut off by the regulator. Typically the accidents when the propane ignited, it was the fire that caused the tank to rupture, not the other way around.

There is risk in everything in life, it's mitigating those risks that allows us to live a happy and fulfilling life. If you believe it's dangerous than turn your propane off, its totally your decision. Know that the vast majority of RV's will be traveling with propane on.

Good Luck and happy camping. !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 03:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Propane is not easy to ignite unless the proper ration of air to propane is met. Propane only ignites when between about 2% to 9% mixture. You can check out mythbusters, they fired incendiary rounds into a propane tank and could not get it to ignite. Also in an accident if a line breaks the propane is immediately shut off by the regulator. Typically the accidents when the propane ignited, it was the fire that caused the tank to rupture, not the other way around.

There is risk in everything in life, it's mitigating those risks that allows us to live a happy and fulfilling life. If you believe it's dangerous than turn your propane off, its totally your decision. Know that the vast majority of RV's will be traveling with propane on.

Good Luck and happy camping. !
My night job when I went to the University was the manager of a food store, located a block away from my house. One of my jobs was to maintain the propane operated "hot boxes" in the back seats of our delivery vehicles. The master tank was in the back room next to a refrigerator. It was just a simple 20 pounder.

Upon graduation and starting a real job, my position was given to a young high school kid that showed a lot of initiative. After completing my first day as a young Professional Engineer, I was dismayed that I couldn't get home to tell my Folks about the awesome day I just had. The streets were closed down because they were filled with Fire engines and hoses. The "kid" made a mistake and caused a propane leak. No sparks, no flames, just a loud BOOM that rattled the walls in my Parent's home.

A few years later a large tank exploded in a factory nearby (during a fire) and killed several Fire fighters and destroyed a half dozen Engines.

Anybody that dismisses the danger of propane is a fool!
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 03:43 PM   #26

With 10's of millions of propane tanks in back yards across this country, and millions in RV's, plus millions in factories in fork lifts etc, you hear about buildings exploding daily....NOT. As your case in point a tank in a fire can explode...not the same as the tank exploding spontaneously. Again propane only ignites in a very narrow mixture of air/propane...

Being careful in using a product and afraid TOO use a product is total opposite. Used properly propane is not dangerous....just don't throw a tank in a fire, that could cause an issue.

Over weight, too much too little weight on hitches, inexperienced drivers, all cause many more accidents and deaths than a propane tank does.

https://www.propane101.com/

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 04:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
My night job when I went to the University was the manager of a food store, located a block away from my house. One of my jobs was to maintain the propane operated "hot boxes" in the back seats of our delivery vehicles. The master tank was in the back room next to a refrigerator. It was just a simple 20 pounder.

Upon graduation and starting a real job, my position was given to a young high school kid that showed a lot of initiative. After completing my first day as a young Professional Engineer, I was dismayed that I couldn't get home to tell my Folks about the awesome day I just had. The streets were closed down because they were filled with Fire engines and hoses. The "kid" made a mistake and caused a propane leak. No sparks, no flames, just a loud BOOM that rattled the walls in my Parent's home.

A few years later a large tank exploded in a factory nearby (during a fire) and killed several Fire fighters and destroyed a half dozen Engines.

Anybody that dismisses the danger of propane is a fool!
The kid in the car next to you, on his cell phone is a thousand times more likely, to kill you......

Happy Camping!
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 06:23 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
The kid in the car next to you, on his cell phone is a thousand times more likely, to kill you......

Happy Camping!
Way back in post #19 I said Don't Worry....Be Happy. This is all little todo about nothing.

We all know that its not a problem, yet when anyone says anything negative, the naysayers all get excited and say they've been doin it it for years and no problem.

Seems like all the opines have been made.
Old 11-05-2020, 06:56 PM   #29

Quote:
Way back in post #19 I said Don't Worry....Be Happy. This is all little todo about nothing.

We all know that its not a problem, yet when anyone says anything negative, the naysayers all get excited and say they've been doin it it for years and no problem.

Seems like all the opines have been made.
We should all just go back to the mask, no mask question
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 01:43 PM   #30

Are you from the 70’s? ‘You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?’
😎
Quote:
Our experience with RVs goes back about 30+ years. In fact, we still have our 1964 TT and use it as our guest house. The 2015 Jayco is set up at the main campsite and its for the family.

The old girl, now 56 years old, is built like a brick shedhouse. Although we have had an occasional roof leak that was easily repairable, the appliances are cast-iron-like and have never been a problem. The walls are twice as thick as the crap they sell today.

Our Jayco is light and thin. I'm glad we don't pull it down the road because I'm sure it would fall apart. I surely wouldn't trust the water, sewer or propane connections. Why do you think that people sell these things after only a few years.

So, go ahead and run everything all the time. No problem. I'm sure that nothing will happen in a million years. Or will it? Are ya feeling lucky?....well, are ya punk? (not my comment - its a movie quote)
chabunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 04:32 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabunga View Post
Are you from the 70’s? ‘You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?’
😎
Dirty Harry videos are all over the kids facebook pages, so I don't know what "where you are from" has anything to do with anything. It's just a classic Hollywood quote.

Irregardless, I'm just playing with y'all. I just get a kick out of seeing questions that merely seek validation for something that they have been doing all along.

Personally, I smoke while refueling my vehicles and nothing has happened to me yet.
Old 11-09-2020, 05:22 PM   #32

Quote:
Dirty Harry videos are all over the kids facebook pages, so I don't know what "where you are from" has anything to do with anything. It's just a classic Hollywood quote.

Irregardless, I'm just playing with y'all. I just get a kick out of seeing questions that merely seek validation for something that they have been doing all along.

Personally, I smoke while refueling my vehicles and nothing has happened to me yet.
Is it allowed to smoke in gas station? It would made other people around nervous.
brightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:26 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightsky View Post
Is it allowed to smoke in gas station? It would made other people around nervous.
Nervous, schmervous....LOL.

It's govmt "law" around here to wear a mask too.