Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2024, 09:00 AM   #1
TVB

what is this thing?

Does anyone know what these are for? I have 2 of them on the back of the camper (1 on each end). Thank you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	94040
TVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 09:05 AM   #2

I don't know the exact name, but it is a skid guard designed to protect the jack (along with the entire tail of the RV) in case you drive over a big dip that otherwise would allow the ground to damage the jacks due to RV's tail dragging the ground. ~CA
Old 06-12-2024, 09:12 AM   #3
TVB

That makes sense. Thank you.
TVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 01:09 PM   #4

My previous tt had these, by the time I traded for my current tt they were shifted back, nearly worn through on the bottom. The stabilizing jacks and back bumper were untouched. At least this part of engineering worked on that particular model.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 04:20 PM   #5

They have no real purpose as a consumer. I was told decades ago by a starcraft manufacturing rep, they are used during the transportation of the frames from the frame manufacturer to the OEM. They are like blocking to offset for the axle thickness so the can stack frames safely for shipment

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 04:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
They have no real purpose as a consumer. I was told decades ago by a starcraft manufacturing rep, they are used during the transportation of the frames from the frame manufacturer to the OEM. They are like blocking to offset for the axle thickness so the can stack frames safely for shipment
That rep was blowing smoke. They sell wheels that are designed to attach to those...and they have for decades..
Attached Thumbnails
skidbar.png  
Old 06-12-2024, 04:30 PM   #7

Sparklers

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I don't know the exact name, but it is a skid guard designed to protect the jack (along with the entire tail of the RV) in case you drive over a big dip that otherwise would allow the ground to damage the jacks due to RV's tail dragging the ground. ~CA
From the Forest River Forum: "... they are called sacrificial skid bars. They offer protection to the rear of the camper to prevent scraping damage from traveling through deep depressions in the pavement." Apparently when they wear out, you cut off what's left...
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 12:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
That rep was blowing smoke. They sell wheels that are designed to attach to those...and they have for decades..
Just because an aftermarket company designed a wheel that attaches to does not mean the OEM intended that to be its primary purpose.

I've bent enough of those "rub rails" to know they won't handle the stress of a loaded camper dragging bottom to hold up with or without wheels.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 10:25 AM   #9
Site Team

But when they make contact, you know that you are to close to the frame. My street still has gouges from my sisters MH dragging on the way into my yard!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 11:59 AM   #10

Thing

I’ve seen rigs where those “things” have been replaced with caster wheels to allow the support of the back end in a dragging situation to have rolling effect rather than scraping the pavement.
Pownalltl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 12:00 PM   #11

I had those years ago on our first travel trailer. Going in and out of gas stations and other place like that ground them off. They replaced them under warranty, and they got ground off again. They’re worthless. I ended up having the axle flipped to raise the trailer, problem fixed.
Old 06-22-2024, 12:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
They sell wheels that are designed to attach to those...and they have for decades..
I’m sure those little wheels, held on with little screws and bolts for axles, will not support the weight of the trailer as they drag the ground. Think about weight transfer, as those wheel touch and take on weight, they will very quickly take up too much trailer weight, since they theoretically will lift weight off the main axles. And those small wheels will get jammed by little pebbles on the ground.
Old 06-22-2024, 12:08 PM   #13

I'll echo in saying skid guards. Our 174BH is back heavy, which I suspect is because the fresh water tank is up front and when full is probably closer to balanced. Thes could also be used as a way of making it easier to set the camper back upright should it tip back. They look like they'll give JUST enough room to extend the Jacks.

2022 Jay Flight SLX 7 174BH STX
2015 Cherokee North
Smeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2024, 07:03 PM   #14

If you hit those you have bigger issues than sticking plastic wheels on them, you better look at a axle flip or rethink your route.

I have seen 5vers with drop frames have a lot of issues dragging their butt and they sell those little wheels to mount to the frame to avoid that...but I would pass on those setups.
Old 06-26-2024, 08:18 PM   #15

The trailer wheels won't lift off the ground at first contact of skid guards. The guards will just take progressively more of the load and the trailer springs progressively less until you stop or get through. I'd rather that, than my waste tank outlet pipes make first contact. Hopefully your backer upper assistant lets you know when the first few sparks fly!

Think of them kind of like those spring "curb feelers" we used to warn us before we scuffed up the whitewalls. If you don't know what I'm talking about, go have a look at your grandpa's Oldsmobile.
FISTEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2024, 09:01 PM   #16

Those are not skid anything. Those are rock catchers , concrete grabbers, but certainly not functional skid plates or the alike having a pointed end.

I have built rock crawlers over my years and skid plates are always flat to distribute the force of what ever you hit over a larger area minimizing impact damage.

Those pointed daggers will transmit all the force of what you hit to your frame. The gauge of steel used isnt very strong either.

I have owned 3 trailers, 2 bumper pulls and now a 5th Wheel and never came close the frame...going to hit landing gear or stabilizer's/leveler's before any other components.

I say those brackets are for shipping stacked frames that some company said hey, lets sell little wheels for those and call them skid plates..

Brilliant Marketing!
Old 06-28-2024, 03:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVB View Post
Does anyone know what these are for? I have 2 of them on the back of the camper (1 on each end). Thank you.

Attachment 94040
If they're what I'm thinking...they are indicators to show the lowest point of your trailer. know if something hits them, you're gonna most certainly hit and tear off an important component of you camper, too.

'Angle of attack alarms.'
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
JKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2024, 05:38 AM   #18

In most of the older and nicer campers they were standard equipment for protecting the back ends of most campers. The height of the ones were lower, which did compliment and protect you from tearing up stuff, including your own sewer pipes. Of course if you only rv in flatter elevations, they may not be noticed as a a great asset for you. So don't fret about having them on any unit. Without them we are always mindful of entering and existing gas stations and side roads with our tag along TT.