Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-13-2022, 08:10 PM   #1

What kind of digital box is needed for TV?

Hi again.

Last summer, I hooked up the cable to the TT and it didn't work. So I asked what I was missing. The park said since the TV was digital, I needed a digital cable box to get the signal.

Im in Canada and have a "Shaw" digital DVR in the garage.

So my question is: Would this "Shaw box work, or would a "Telus" box work? Or do I need to go and source out a generic one from a electronics store?

TIA!
Greenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 08:38 PM   #2

Your shaw cable box will only work if Shaw is the cable provider at the campground and that box would have to have an active subscription with shaw thru that campground. There are no generic cable boxes per se
Campgrd should be able to give you direction on what you need... And may rent/ provide the cable box to you.

That said some but not all campgrounds provide cable TV connection to each site but without a cable box.
To make cable work in your rig you need to do a few things...
Connect a coax cable from pedistal to the cable in on your rig
Turn the over the air (ota) amplifier off. Usually on the connection plate behind your tv has a push button on/off switch and a small light
When light is off the amp is off.
On your TV you need to go into the setup screen
Change the input from over the air antenna to cable
Scan the cable channels.

Now if you change campgrounds

When you move to another campground that does not have cable or want to use the ota antenna on your rig you need to...
Turn amplifier on

Go into TV setup

Change from cable to ota antenna

Scan for over the air channels

Beware some campgrounds have poor ota antenna channel reception
Others can get plenty

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 08:57 PM   #3

Is your TV an older tv with an analog tuner or a newer one with a digital tuner?
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 09:50 PM   #4

@RoadrunnerII Thank you for the information! I have an older set up (2010 Jayco jayfeather 29L) and don't think I have a OTA amplifier on the rig and I think the TV is original as well.

@MichaelO I have an analog TV I beleive (original to 2010). I forgot to add that part in the original post. It's an older TV, and the folks at the RV park said they were all digital and that's why it's not working, and I have to get a cable box....which brought me to the original question.

I am tempted to just buy a new TV with a digital tuner, but this one works just fine (except for not having any channels haha.) and seeing as we would only use the TV if it's really unpleasant outside, I just am hesitant to put too much $$ into it so if I could buy something that was affordable, then that would be ideal.

Thank for all the help on this forum....just awesome to tap this wealth of knowledge and experience. We are just about to start season 2, and have learned alot so far.
Old 03-14-2022, 04:16 AM   #5

If you decide to buy a new TV, buy a "smart" TV; one that has the ability to connect to WiFi and just subscribe to any of the internet companies that provide TV service. If you have a cell phone with internet, you can bluetooth the TV to your phone, and watch channels from the internet.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 05:59 AM   #6

As of 2007 all TVs sold in North America had two tuners, analog and digital.
You should be able to use the TV in your rig. Just check out the settings for TV.
The ota amplifier button can sometimes be hard to see.
Your rig likely has a plate behind or near TV with coax connection and a cigarette lighter plug. Amplifier is behind that plate and on off button is on it next to the light.... Provided someone has not modified the setup.

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 06:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenic View Post
@RoadrunnerII Thank you for the information! I have an older set up (2010 Jayco jayfeather 29L) and don't think I have a OTA amplifier on the rig and I think the TV is original as well.

@MichaelO I have an analog TV I beleive (original to 2010). I forgot to add that part in the original post. It's an older TV, and the folks at the RV park said they were all digital and that's why it's not working, and I have to get a cable box....which brought me to the original question.

I am tempted to just buy a new TV with a digital tuner, but this one works just fine (except for not having any channels haha.) and seeing as we would only use the TV if it's really unpleasant outside, I just am hesitant to put too much $$ into it so if I could buy something that was affordable, then that would be ideal.

Thank for all the help on this forum....just awesome to tap this wealth of knowledge and experience. We are just about to start season 2, and have learned alot so far.
So you don’t need a cable box, but a digital tuner box. You could get a digital tuner box or a new tv that has a better quality picture than what was available 12 years ago.
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 09:45 PM   #8

Good idea about the WIFI connectivity. I'm shopping for one now. There are some great deals on ROKU Smart tv's
Old 03-15-2022, 09:47 PM   #9

@MichaelO Thanks for the clarification. I was a little confused about what I needed but again, thanks to the forum here, I'm on the right track! Thanks!
Old 03-16-2022, 02:17 PM   #10

@RoadrunnerII
Just got back from the rig and you are correct about the connection and 12v connector. So when it's time to de winterize (couple of weeks from now) I'll be sure to poke around there and get more familiar with everything.

I looked up the model of the TV and it actually shows the first manufactured date of Dec 2016 (although I had assumed it was older). So it must have been replaced at some point as the rig is 2010

Again, thanks for all the help!