Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2015, 06:03 AM   #1

What made you buy an RV?

I for one didn't start camping until I met my wife at age 18. Her family did alot of camping and I had never been. My wife actually introduced me to camping. We bought an old school canvas and pole tent. You couldn't touch the sides while it was raining, it would bleed through the canvas. But we loved it. Decided on a camper in the summer of 2002 after camping at Knoebels in Pa. I remember it well. It rained it's butt off all day and night. By morning, we were floating on our air mattresses and water was creeping up the blankets. So we ended up moving to the mini van. Then my boys decided to have a farting contest. In the van. With the windows up. In the middle of the night. Hung my head outside the drivers window just to breath untainted air. I could feel the van rocking from them (wife included) laughing uncontrollably. Then, right on schedule, a crow lands on the lamp post and caw's all morning long...non stop. I ended up yelling at this stupid crow at 5am, waking some other campers. So I decided to throw my shoes at him. Bad idea. Threw the first shoe...landed in the tree. Threw the second shoe. It ended up hitting the hill next to the site..rolling down into a big puddle of water. This did nothing to this black evil on a post. He just sat there. As to mock me. We exchanged pleasantries back and forth for a while. He knew how to push my buttons. Finally, he started to fly away. But not before dropping a duece on my windshield.

Black-winged Satan.

Needless to say, we left that morning. Bought a camper the next weekend.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:52 AM   #2

Always camped as a kid and have very fond memories of the family time we shared. Unfortunately, we sold the trailer when I was 12 (not sure why) and I remember my mother at the end of the driveway crying when it left. Now fast forward 35 years and while sitting around the campfire in the fall of 2013 at our cottage with my wife and kids we started talking about where our next summer family trip would be. We decided to give our kids age 9-12 a choice, either a road trip across Canada or a 10 day trip to a Caribbean Island. Well they chose the road trip across Canada so the planning began. Figured the best way to experience it would be in a travel trailer so the search and education began. Never owning one and knowing nothing about them I found this great forum and learned a bunch. We purchased a new 2014 Whitehawk last spring and our plan was to do the the East Coast one year and West Coast the next. Needless to say buying the travel trailer was the best decision we ever made. We had a blast on our East Coast trip and saw parts of our country and experienced many things that would not have been possible without the trailer. This summer we are heading West to Vancouver Island and returning through the Northern States. Looking so forward to our trip and making more memories in our Jayco!
Old 04-22-2015, 07:02 AM   #3

Family had a cabin - that was fun every summer, but it was always the same location - and no fun for Mom as she had had to mop her way out the front door every time, or for Dad who had to turn-on the water and haul wood! Started 'rough' camping in high school (sleeping bags on sand dunes, no tents) but loved it. Once married, we started with a tent (paper plates), bought a used Coleman because the Samoyeds loved nesting on top of us (tin plates) , upgraded to a larger new Coleman with plans for a family (plastic plates), then upgraded to our Jayco (Corelle) as we head towards retirement. Needless to say, the evolution reflects of our redefinition of "roughing-it".

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:06 AM   #4
Site Team

I can't remember!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:25 AM   #5

Went deep woods fishing/camping in Canada several times while in high school, so I go the "bug".

Got married talked her into camping when our daughter was about 1, and she was bit. We tented for a lot of years until our daughter was about 8 then decided we wanted to get off the ground so we got an old junky pop-up. I fixed it up and sold it a year later and bought a brand new '93 Jayco 1208.

We had that for 10 years then bought an '03 Kiwi 17a hybrid. We did that because we wanted a bathroom and shower, although it was a wet bath so we stopped using the shower after the first season because it was just too small. We also wanted a decent fridge and closet, and an easier setup than a pop-up. But we didn't want to give up the canvas completely.

And the X20E was bought because we simply wanted a bigger bathroom and more room to move around. Gotta love a slideout!
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:50 AM   #6

I did A TON of camping as a youth. Mom & Dad had a travel trailer, and my brother and I grew up in Boy Scouts; dad was a scout master for most of our 14 yr tenure. My parents moved to Texas away from our extended family when I was very young, so our family holidays were spent out at the lake on the boat or in the trailer. Mom would still cook somewhat traditional holiday meals in the trailer, but since it was always just the 4 of us (and the occasional tag-a-long) with no huge family gatherings, it was easy and were some of the best times of my life. Mom & dad sold that rotted out old hunk of junk full of memories when I was about 13 years old.

Fast forward to 1999 when I met my wife. She grew up much the same, camping, boating, fishing, etc. It's just that her idea of "camping" was to offload the Surburban into an improved campsite with water and electricity, and mine was super low-impact backpacking! LOL! I took her on exactly 2 backpacking trips that were absolute disasters. It was nothing we could control, we have BAD luck with weather (BTW if anyone is keeping track, our nearly perfect record for rain while camping since 1999 is still intact; rains almost every trip).

For many years, careers and life got in the way and we didn't camp as much as I like, but I still held on to all my gear. A couple years ago, I decided I wanted to get a Travel Trailer. DW wasn't sold; she wanted to travel road-trip style staying in different hotels in different cities. So we tried it; for more than a week we road-tripped up to Michigan for a cousin's wedding, and road-tripped back to Texas. Stayed in different hotels and cities along the way and saw the sights.

When we got back, DW discovered that's not how she wanted to travel. There was just something not right about sleeping in a different bed (who knows how clean it is) every night. This was the turning point, so I was green-lighted to buy us a TT, and here we are. Now our son is along for the ride and we're planning longer trips, and I can't wait for him to experience all the wonderment and fun that I experienced as a youth traveling around and seeing the sights!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:00 AM   #7

My wife said I could. Off I went to get a camper before she changed her mind.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I did A TON of camping as a youth. Mom & Dad had a travel trailer, and my brother and I grew up in Boy Scouts; dad was a scout master for most of our 14 yr tenure. My parents moved to Texas away from our extended family when I was very young, so our family holidays were spent out at the lake on the boat or in the trailer. Mom would still cook somewhat traditional holiday meals in the trailer, but since it was always just the 4 of us (and the occasional tag-a-long) with no huge family gatherings, it was easy and were some of the best times of my life. Mom & dad sold that rotted out old hunk of junk full of memories when I was about 13 years old.

Fast forward to 1999 when I met my wife. She grew up much the same, camping, boating, fishing, etc. It's just that her idea of "camping" was to offload the Surburban into an improved campsite with water and electricity, and mine was super low-impact backpacking! LOL! I took her on exactly 2 backpacking trips that were absolute disasters. It was nothing we could control, we have BAD luck with weather (BTW if anyone is keeping track, our nearly perfect record for rain while camping since 1999 is still intact; rains almost every trip).

For many years, careers and life got in the way and we didn't camp as much as I like, but I still held on to all my gear. A couple years ago, I decided I wanted to get a Travel Trailer. DW wasn't sold; she wanted to travel road-trip style staying in different hotels in different cities. So we tried it; for more than a week we road-tripped up to Michigan for a cousin's wedding, and road-tripped back to Texas. Stayed in different hotels and cities along the way and saw the sights.

When we got back, DW discovered that's not how she wanted to travel. There was just something not right about sleeping in a different bed (who knows how clean it is) every night. This was the turning point, so I was green-lighted to buy us a TT, and here we are. Now our son is along for the ride and we're planning longer trips, and I can't wait for him to experience all the wonderment and fun that I experienced as a youth traveling around and seeing the sights!

We have our own rain trip diary. Rains about 90% of the time we go. Our friends call us The Schleprocks! (The Flintstones)
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:28 AM   #9

I grew up with a travel trailer. Mom and Dad got the first tag-a-long, as dad called it, when I was 18 months. We progressed from their to a motor home and finally a 5er. The 5er was sold when my dad passed in '93 and from then on the only camping I did was tenting it with Boy Scouts or my high school friends.

Fast forward to adulthood and my wife decides she wants to take back up tenting. So we bought a brand new tent and off we went. That lasted exactly one rain event. By the end of the January weekend we had picked to go, everything we took with us was soaking wet. Rain fly failed, she didn't remember that you can't put stuff up against the sides of the tent or it bleeds the water in. Needless to say she was not a happy camper.

The very next weekend was the Austin RV Show, we walked in and while I loved the idea of returning to trailer life I just wasn't convinced we would use it enough to justify the expense. We made a deal on a brand new Coachman Clipper PUP as a proof of concept vehicle. As it turns out, we used that little PUP at least once a month, every month except for Decembers. Lots of great memories in that little PUP!

Fast forward again to last September. We have a trip planed with my in-laws and the forecast is looking more and more like tropical rain bands will be moving across the campground regularly. I looked at my wife and said "You want to go buy a trailer?" She laughed and said it would be impossible to buy a new trailer one day and be camping in it the next. The first dealership we walked into agreed and said it would take at least a week, even if I had financing in place, which I did. Crestview RV in Buda said it wouldn't be a problem, if I had financing in place. Less than 24hrs later we were picking up and heading out of town with the new trailer.

So, in short, what made me decide to buy a RV? Rain!
Sweeden72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:26 AM   #10

Getting my body off of the ground that kept getting harder as I got older!

Also, figured we were no longer "roughing it" when we got rid of the black and white 12 volt television and bought a color set.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:12 AM   #11

We tent camped a few times a year and splurged and rented a pop up now and then. Three years ago we tent camped with some neighbors on what turn out to be the hottest weekend of the year. The DW and I were miserable that weekend and that's what pushed us to buying a TT. I had also had enough of "roughing it" from years in the Army.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:53 PM   #12

DW camped a lot as a kid; me only with Scouts. Once we had a kid, we thought we should introduce him to Nature. Started with a tent we couldn't quite stand up in > tent we could stand up in > VW bus > Jayco PUP > Forest River highwall PUP, and now we're waiting for our Jayco White Hawk 23MRB. (By the time we had our second tent we were camping for holidays like May Day - really do dance the Maypole - and now we've added Highland Games to our itinerary.)
Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:11 PM   #13

We used to tent all the time when we where younger and loved every minute of it. Life got busy and priorities changed. We became tired of spending huge amounts of money every year on hotels/motels/cruises and 3 meals a day. Started to think of different options. Two years ago we rented a beautiful home(very inexpensive, to much of our surprise, but then again we went in the late off season) in Bar Harbor, ME(MDI, should be on every one's bucket list) and we loved the freedom. The owner lived across the street and came over with a Maine blueberry pie. OMG, I had it breakfast, lunch and diner. After being out all day, it was nice to come home and cook what we wanted when we wanted it. Last year we rented a cabin in a campground and again loved the freedom. DH wasn't really happy with the shower, he's a big guy and could only fit one arm in the shower at a time, but he managed with a smile on his face. We started talking about how we used to love to camp, but didn't want to tent and lug all the stuff. We decided, we wanted our own place(but not go to the same place every year), our own bed and our own retreat. Well, the wheels started to turn and we are now proud owners of our very 1st, 2015 27RBOK TT. She will be ours on 05/01/2015 and we are super excited. Kicking myself we didn't do this earlier. The money we could have saved, but that was then and this is now.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:21 PM   #14

Got tired of sleeping on the ground.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:30 PM   #15

I tented and camped as a kid, love the outdoors. I purchased a couple small used trailers in my 20's just to get my feet wet, and when I got married we bought our first new unit 1996 Jayco 264 BH, with no slides for a family of four, 10 years later we picked up a new 29' Open Road 5'r with 3 slides, and here we are 10 years later again, just dropped off the two boys and pick up a new Pinnacle. I would do it all over again the same, if needed......

2015 Pinnacle 36REQS
2010 F-350 Harley Davidson 6.4L Powerstroke
Short Box Crewcab
6" Procomp Suspension Lift & 35" M/T Toyo Tires
Doug & Nikki, 2 fur babies
Murphy & Chloe are Shar Pei
68 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar View Post
Got tired of sleeping on the ground.
This exactly. I camp a lot - like 2-3 times a month. I got tired of tent camping and sleeping on cots or cold blow up mattresses. I camp to enjoy nature, but I don't enjoy it so much sleeping on the ground
Old 04-22-2015, 04:11 PM   #17

Camped in the Scouts for several years. DW and I tent camped early in our marriage. Bought a boat and tent camped with other boating friends at various lakes. Borrowed my folks' Winnebago Brave several times in the late 70s. Had kids and took them and their friends camping at the lake. Rented an RV in the 90s to take the kids to Ontario one year.

Then, we didn't camp for a few years. Kids are now grown and married. DW and I traveled on the motorcycle but we weren't fond of moving in and out of motels every night. Plus she really wanted to take more than two sets of clothes.

From using the loaner Brave and the rental motorhome, we knew we liked RVing. Decided to get one while the grandkids are still small so we can take them. DW likes not having to wash one set of clothes nightly in the motel sink. We both like not sleeping on the ground in a tent.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:45 PM   #18

Grew up with a popup then a small coachman 16 foot camper. Had a blast. Fast forward to having my own kid. Had no money but wanted my son to enjoy the outdoors so we bought a tent. Just me and him as the wife wants nothing to do with it. Used several times a year for 4-5 years. Last summer we were on top of a mountain in West Virginia. At 3 am I had the call of nature. Got up a and dressed to walk across the campground. Did my thing but couldn't get back to sleep. Second night that ground got really hard even with a pad. Finances have improved a little. Bought one on the way home! Decided I was too dang old to sleep on the ground anymore. Truth be known I had been looking off and on for about a year and thought I knew what I wanted. Now after the first small one, I now KNOW what I want, but those dang finances and now my son's college is getting in the way.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:13 PM   #19

I did a little camping as a child in the boy scouts. Then, never again. Life got in the way and I never really thought about it. In 2012, following my wife having a partial knee replacement, we decided since she was more physically able we wanted to get out into nature more, exercise, etc. We were going to the state parks for somewhere nice to go hiking and we thought it would be great to be able to stay overnight in an RV like we saw others doing there.

In May 2012 we bought our first hybrid camper as a trial. It was a used 2008 but with almost no use and like new. We loved it. By December 2012 we traded for a 2013 Jayco White Hawk 30DSRE which we have now.

Since May 2012, we have spent about 110 nights in the RV. We go camping out in it constantly. We go during all four seasons as well. We only wish we had looked into doing this a long time ago.
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:48 PM   #20

After 20+ years of tent camping my wife and I were tired of all the gear required for tent camping. The time spent setting up once you get there and then all the cleanup once you get back home. A trailer makes it so easy to hookup and be on the road within 30minutes. Setup at camp takes less than 15 minutes and cleanup at home is less than 15 minutes. The only thing I miss is being able drive quickly and get into the way back spots where trailers can't fit. When I feel like camping that way I just leave the wife at home and throw on my backpack and spike tent.