Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2018, 10:10 PM   #41

Floor plan, king size bed, masorator, tankless water heater, price, & warranty. We have had a few problems (as they all do) & a few things, about it, have me scratching my head, I really think we made the right choice. I think I'd be happier with a diesel pusher but I can't afford one. LOL
cartpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:20 AM   #42

After 50 years of tent camping and a year tryout of a popup, we bought a 2017 16XRB. It took us three years of deciding just what we needed, of looking around, research, and sorting out all the fact and fiction. We travel much more than we stay at a destination; we needed a nice bedroom more than a lake-side cabin. We looked at bunks and slide outs with a sofa, but liked the idea of a tent so we narrowed it down to a hybrid, the smaller the better. As far as I know, only Jayco makes a seven-foot hybrid.

We liked a Coachman Apex because it had some kind of non-water-soluble walls but it had a pedestal table and no counter space. There was a nice Keystone with dual axles that seemed like a nice idea but it was too heavy and wide. And the ubiquitous Jayco X17V - beautiful but just a little too big. There are a lot of really nice trailers made by reputable manufactures.

It was hard to find a 16XRB, no one wanted to sell them, so we drove two hours to the factory to see one. It looked perfect for us and we got a very good price. Enough room for two old people and a hound and narrow enough to squeeze into our neighborhood driveway. However, the family-owned Jayco model we looked at, the one they had in their ads, had galvanized wheel wells and a small fan in the bathroom vent. That is what we ordered. What we received was the first of the Thor Jaycos with plastic wheel wells and no fan. Their response to my justified complaints: we can change what we want when we want so too bad, we don’t care! We were very disappointed but that feeling has mellowed over the past two years.

We like the seven-foot width, the table, the counter space, the storage, the mattresses, the tent material, the two-year warranty, and the overall quality of the build and appliances. Amazing what they can do in six hours with a million one-inch self-tapping screws and an electric driver! Jayco has been fair but no push-over with the few warranty repairs we have needed. Of course, little trailers are not perfect but we have modified, customized, and fixed - replaced screws as needed, Endurance tires, a real propane tank bracket, nicer curtains, bed and bench extensions, an aluminum shelf to clip on the outdoor TV bracket, and much more - and making it just right for us has been a lot of fun as well. Amazingly, it has more than enough storage for food and all the other things we need for a three-week trip.

We pulled our 16XRB over 16,000 miles with a 4.2 Trailblazer. That worked fine but the straight six struggled with head winds and could not exceed elevations greater than 9,941 feet. The XRB is easy to tow, light on its feet, stable, maneuverable, and tracks very well. The last 1,500 miles we have towed with a Tahoe and are looking forward to being able to drive through the Rockies now. In all our travels we have never had a problem with the trailer. In all our stays at RV parks and sightings along the byways we have seen some very nice rigs, but we have never seen an RV we would rather have. Nothing in life is perfect but we are delighted with our little XRB.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:48 AM   #43

we liked the floor plan, 2 yr warranty, dealership, and upgraded options (15 k a/c).
richied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:04 AM   #44

Our camping went from tent to 3 different popups as the kids came along to a Trailmanor, which is a hard side kind of folding trailer. The Trailmanor just got to be too hard to set up and take down. We started looking at standard trailer a year before we decided to buy. One requirement we had was a walk around bed as knee problems made crawling over one another difficult. The other was to use our Jeep Grand Cherokee as a tow vehicle since we could not afford to buy a bigger vehicle and a trailer at the same time.

After looking at several models and brands the 195RB with a queen walk around, full bath, light weight and a price we could afford was our choice. I was ambivalent about the window air but it works fine and only needs a 15 amp outlet to run it so I can run the AC at home with no problem.

Drawbacks, much lower mileage when towing than the popups, limited storage space and inconvenient dinette. ( also bad mattress and some manufacturing mistakes)
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:19 PM   #45

Liked the Jayco from the gitgo. Looked at lots of trailers and fifth wheels wanting to downsize from my Forest River Cedar Creek. Personally I think the Cedar creek was a bit better quality wise, but for the money and the 2 year warranty we picked the Jayco. The most important feature that we liked was the quieter air conditioning. Instead of the open a/c unit making a racket right where you sit and look at tv, this one had the 2 return air ducts making the system a little quieter than most we checked out. This was the main reason we kept coming back to look at the Jayco and I am very pleased with our choice.
2014 F350 SD Lariat, 4X2, Ext.Cab 8'Bed, 6.2Ltr gas, 4:30 Rear ratio
2008 Cedar Creek Fifth Wheel 34TSA, 37' (traded in)
2017 Jayco Eagle HT Fifth Wheel 27.5 RLTS
bogadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:22 PM   #46

35% off MSRP three years later should have been 45% LOL!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:25 PM   #47

Friends who love their Jayco, and the two year warranty didn’t hurt either.
matzram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 02:37 PM   #48

In 2015, it wasn't a Thor product.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:46 PM   #49

What Made you Choose Jayco

Floor Plan, Layout, Storage, Nccessories all remote control, Fresh Water Supply 86 gallons, Holding Tank Capacity 3 tanks / 65 gallons, 2 year warranty.
reedga1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:14 AM   #50

Floor plan and the fact that Jayco provides a hitch rated for pulling a boat. We also pull a cargo trailer during the winter.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:05 AM   #51

1) Great local dealer whom we trusted (Steve's RV in Lacombe, LA). Our first smaller unit was a Keystone Outback, and he took care of us. He also offers great competitive internet pricing. No MSRP and haggle here - straight forward pricing up front.

2) Fantastic floorplan we didn't see in other makes.

3) Longer warranty - which we never had to use.

But most of all #1. If he switched brands tomorrow I'd believe it's for the right reasons.
SouthRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:48 AM   #52

During my initial search for 5th wheel, I was looking at rigs on a 80 degree day and found some were cool inside and some were hot. I found that the Jayco had a cold weather package which also kept it cooler in the heat. We then learned about the construction differences between models. You do get what you pay for and decided to look at units $10,000 over our planned budget.
Then we narrowed the search down based on floor plan. Since we knew we could be living in it for a few months, we wanted a layout with the TV across from the swivel rockers and larger shower.
We were looking at 1/2 ton versions. At that time we learned Jayco had three levels of 5’s and started looking at the Eagle. Ceiling height was higher, quieter AC unit, larger holding tanks, higher quality all around compared to the 1/2 ton. We upgraded our truck to a 2500 and bought the 291rsts. Been a year and 6 trips, no needed repairs so far, knock on wood. After having it a year I found that the better and automated leveling system is really nice, very glad we got the bigger tanks for boondocking, floor quality is very solid. Didn’t even know we bought a unit with a macerator pump, we never have used the 3” drain hose, that’s a great option. Remote control for leveling system and slide outs is a bonus. Added a Satellite system, cell booster, upgraded bath fan to a fantastic fan.
Overall, the cool inside temperature on a hot day sold us on Jayco.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:32 AM   #53

walk around bed, 13000btu AC (we need that in Florida). bought it used from people who used it for 18 days!. although all TT's are made light and flimsy we thought that Jayco had the best overall craftsmanship.
2017 195 RB
Toyota Tacoma
larryrebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:43 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthRider View Post
1) Great local dealer whom we trusted (Steve's RV in Lacombe, LA). Our first smaller unit was a Keystone Outback, and he took care of us. He also offers great competitive internet pricing. No MSRP and haggle here - straight forward pricing up front.

2) Fantastic floorplan we didn't see in other makes.

3) Longer warranty - which we never had to use.

But most of all #1. If he switched brands tomorrow I'd believe it's for the right reasons.
This is wonderful news. I will be buying a toy hauler in a few years when I retire. Jayco Seismic is currently at the top of my short list and Steve's RV is only about 1.5 hours down the road!!
T-Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:52 PM   #55

Two reasons. It was not a Forest Rivers product at that time. Had a bad experience with our Rockwood. Secondly, liked the layout and quality look of the x17z.
JaycoBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:41 AM   #56

We looked at a lot and liked the floor plan, plus option packages that included the lots of nice to have things. Decent reputation and got it at the price we wanted.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:29 AM   #57

Short version.... experience, great dealer, interior quality, factory commitment to product, and floorplan.

Long version.... We camped a Jayco TT for years and when the kids came along we wanted to upgrade, but we couldn't find a Jayco 5th Wheel floorplan we liked. So we went with a Forest River (Sierra). What a mistake.... Bent axles, cracked frame, heating system issues, plumbing system issues, the list goes on and on. We never really trusted it after the cracked frame - even after Forest River sent a tech from IN to NJ (our house) to weld up and reinforce the frame. It had to go...

We went into our search for a replacement wanting a motorhome that was not a Forest River product, but after looking at countless motorhomes we ended up back at Jayco. Interior quality is hard to match, the floorplan was right, our local dealer is great, and when there is a problem Jayco stands behind it (in our prior experience) without getting the NHTSA involved.

That being said, I'm glad we bought when we did... Our Alante 31R is an "early run" unit. Our front end/nose is styled like a 2017, i.e. the metal mesh grill instead of the chunky black plastic grill. The "hood" on the newer style is so tiny you can barely fit a quart of oil into the engine bay. Our unit has carpet in the drivers/passengers/dog house area... the newer units do not and the dog house is a janky looking plastic cover. Our seatbelts are conceled in vinyl covered housings, the newer units they are just bolted to the wall. We have an actual Garmin GPS/Radio unit, the newer ones have a cheap Soundstream unit.... All little things, but they really make our coach "feel" better appointed than the newer units.

All in all we are very happy with our 31R and while it is still very young (10 months/4200 miles), so far our issues are limited to having to caulk the shower door and having to address significant condensation building up in the passenger side headlight.

cfisher523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:05 PM   #58

It was the best quality that we could afford.

Our unit has had problems, but they have all been easily fixed and the dealer didn't hassle us about the warranty.

Based on what we read, we expected to have issues with anything we purchased in our price range. However, we felt the Jayflight was put together well (plywood flooring rather than luan, etc.), and that the trailer would last us longer before we would need a new one.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:45 PM   #59

We were ready to trade in the TT for a FW. We wanted a FW with front living and the Jayco floorplan was the best! Love the full size shower, residential fridge and my 6'6" friends don't have to duck to walk around! Jayco warranty not so great I'm finding Jayco (now Thor) does not believe they should repair interior wooden trim or the wood trim that hold the glass in the door to the bedroom when the glue fails to hold it on! That has been my biggest disappointment. I thought the 2 year warranty was supposed to be on defective workmanship. Hmmm

Oh well, not my first rodeo and I expect to maintain things myself. Overall, we love our Jayco.
RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:45 PM   #60

Mainly it was because of the plywood floor and magna truss roof. That was our main concern. A couple used ones we looked at only a few years old; we found soft floors or soft spots on the roofs. Ironically the Jayco we purchased new had the roof issue and a squeaky floor issue. Which is resolved now so were happy campers again. Also we needed two bathrooms and the floor space in the bunk area is nice. Also when the wife kicks me out of the main bed, I fit just fine in the bunks at 6'4".

2014 Ram Dually 6.7 Diesel
2016 North Point 375BHFS
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote