Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2012, 04:25 AM   #21

When I looked at TTs the bunkhouse was the main feature I was looking at in general because of the fact I have my 10 year old grand daughter and another one who is 22 months old,I liked that feature in the Jayflight over other manufacturers bunkhouses....The interior of the 2011 Jayco didnt look 'CHEAP' or thrown together,I thought the floor plan made the most out of the space,all in all at less than 1 year old and getting my Jayco Jayflight for $10,000....I just couldnt pass up this oppurtunity.......
Old 07-22-2012, 06:55 AM   #22

^ good deal for a 1yr old camper! I really like my layout and exterior wall construction that goes into the ultralights. That plus all the positive things people have to say about their Jayco's when I was shopping around got me sold on one before I actually bought it.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:52 AM   #23

We have had several TTs before our current 5er, none of which were Jayco. All were decent, but all had signs of cheap construction materials. We wanted this one to last longer than previous ones, so I did a lot of research into construction methods and materials. At that point, with such things as 5/8" marine plywood floors instead of OSB board, we were tending toward Jayco. And then we discovered the JOF and a few other sounding boards, and saw many good recommendations and much fewer bad experiences than most other brands. A few questions answered promptly online by Jayco also helped. That did it for us, and we are now very happy Jayco Designer owners, looking forward to many more years of camping fun.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:10 AM   #24

We previously owned a small class C for several years so had a very good idea of how we use the RV and what we wanted. We then went to the Tampa show last January to see if we could find something we liked and that fit our budget. We narrowed the list and put the old one up for sale figuring it could take a while. We got our asking prIce within a few days and started looking for a Jayfeather 242 that was a available. There were none but we found several 25Z's which are nearly identical.
We use the grill a lot so liked the rear kitchen with a door that makes it easy to pass food back and forth. There is just the two of us so didn't need extra beds. The 25Z has lots Of storage, is lower to the ground, and is easily towed by our F-150. The quality seemed reasonable. So far, we are very happy with the choice and look forward using it a lot.

John & Nancy
Jay Feather 25Z 2007
Ford F-150 XLT 5.4 Triton 2008
TeamFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:35 AM   #25

I bought my 32 TSBH for numerous reasons. One was because of the layout. I wanted lots of room and other brands just didn't offer the room for the same money. The bunkhouse has 2 slides (3 total), lots of room and storage. Sleeps about as many as you would ever want! I liked the sofa with the air mattress. The extensions on the dinette seats, the fact that one dinette seat comes out to use as an ottoman. The wheels are awesome as is the electric front jack, and electric awning. The apparent craftsmanship of the wood throughout is outstanding. Mine also came with trundle beds in the BH, oversize fridge and AC unit. Outside speakers are a plus as is the black tank cleaner. Also like the low point drains and being able to run a gas grill from the TT propane tanks. On the con side is no stereo speaker in ceiling in the B House. The RCA tv in the living area (could have picked a better LCD tv) although the picture is ok. Layout for the septic run isn't the best. If I don't run it behind the tires, it goes right through the middle of the outside shower area! Over all I found it to be the best value for the money.
krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #26

3 years ago decided I wanted to start camping. Found a great forum of friendly folks who love the molded fiberglass campers ( think Scamp, Casita, Boler, etc). Drove from Omaha to Arizona to buy a 1988 Perris Pacer sight unseen! Great little camper: light, cute, personality. Gutted the inside--put on new wall covering, flooring, painted fiberglass furniture, new cabinet doors, had the outside professionally painted, removed stove top, fridge and furnace (wanted storage and did most kitchen stuff outside.). Got all done and realized:this is just too small! (10' x 6' living space). Hubby was getting claustrophobic.

Started thinking about newer/larger molded fiberglass campers. Lil Snoozy a new company out of NC looked promising (but sooooo far away! And probably over $20,000). So started looking at the "tin" campers. Either hated what I saw, or would find one I liked (it had a pull down Murphy bed). When I looked closer I was appalled by the construction! I opened a cabinet and the shelves were so thin--I didn't think a can of corn could sit on it.

Had just about given up when we stopped at the Jayco Dealer. Liked what I saw, came home, read all I could (including this forum!)---and like someone else has mentioned--found far lass complaints than other brands. I love the layout, appearance, weight and amenities of my 184BH!

My buddies in the fiberglass world tell me I'll be back-----so far I'm very comfortable with my Jayco!!!

Replacement: 2013 Winnebago Minnie 2101FBS

2010 Honda Ridgeline
1988 Perris Pacer "Bean" (molded fiberglass camper)
PugMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:10 AM   #27

Still discovering options or upgrade in our new Eagle Super lite HT that we didn't know we had and a big plus over our last TT
1. Shower head. What a difference this shower head is compared to the TT we had. I was going to purchase an Oxygenic shower head but no need now
2. Bathroom fan has a switch on the wall. I am short and had to use a stool to turn the TT fan on the ceiling, not wired on a wall switch. I can reach the switch now
3. Vented A/C. Other TT was not vented, just there blowing down and loud.
4. Gas stove. This Atwood stove seems to work better. Was never able to spark the TT Suburban stove with the automatic sparker. I can now.
5. Front door. I don't need 2 hands to open the door latch and no need to push on door with my body to latch it. unlike the previous (new) TT even after bringing it for service call.
6. Water pump. Quieter, easier access. Same goes with all for easier winterizing, better access
7. fabrics is far superior and cushions more comfortable.
7. bed doesn't slam back down when accessing underneat storage. Had the pistons on the other one but they didn't do much for holding bed up, had to keep it up with my shoulder.
8. Fridge. Same brand, same size but why are there 2 covers on the outside of the 5th wheel for this fridge? the other one only had 1
9. T.V. Had to add my own tv to the other TT. This one came with a TV and a great wall bracket which locks into place for traveling.
10. Light behind the steps, nice safety feature.
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #28

I have owned many brands as well. In fact we bought a KZ / Sportman 35BH last October and the quality was just bad and the products inthe TT were CHEAP. The floors were smooshy no matter where you stood and it NEVER felt lvel no matter what I did to fix it. Our hood over the stove fell off in less than a month. There were 4" screws going into a 1/8" fake plywood covering to hold it into place!!!! So this season my wife exclaims she LOVES camping and hates the KZ soooooooooo we stopped at the local Jayco dealer (Holiday Hour RV) on Sunday on our way home from WI. and liked a few 5ers. Called Monday for a price, picked it up that Thursday. LOVE IT!!!!!! This is my first 5er, but I think I will NEVER own another TT now that I know how nice it is to tow a 5er vs. a TT. Jusy my opinion of course.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #29

it came down to the dealer that we believed to be the better at service after the sale.We are in the ac service business and value "how are they going to handle this problem" as a very high priority.We figure that a good dealer sells a good product.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #30

We looked for a good year and owned another brand prior to Jayco at the time. While the brand was good they did not have one with a layout of the quad bunk double slide. We considered the Wildcat's with front bunks and the Forest Rivers with rear bunks. So after being in all of them and taking a few months we came up with the pros vs cons list. Used was not an option due to resale costs and finding the right unit due to age on the market of each format. I was set on a larger bunkhouse model 5'er which left a few options.

1. Jayco had 2 years warranty +++
2. No dealers within 150 miles of me for the FR. - Jayco within an hour. +++
3. Jayco was offering more upgrades for less $. +++
4. Tires Jayco + (I know debatable, but at the time...)
5. Build quality Jayco felt and looked better +
6. Decor and cabinets Jayco +
7. Electric slides independant of one another vs hydraulic and all going out at once from lightest to heaviest. Jayco +++
8. Cabinet finish, carpeting, countertops, bedding and lighting fixtures. Jayco +++
9. Bunkhouse layout went to FR but front MB went to Jayco so =. Did not like having my shower and sink within my sleeping area.
10. Second bathroom door outside from kids room - at the time due to age of my children.
11. Remote to operate landing gear, stabilizers, slides and lights. Jayco +
12. Roof is wrapped over the sides 4-5" to keep leaks down. +
13. Aluminum rims included. +

Overall I am very pleased with our decision and would buy another based on my experience with them on the small issues and quality of my unit. Sure I have had some minor issues but nothing out of the quality or as a result of poor workmanship. Most things have been mechanical and vendors products. I would do it again and hope that they have a floor plan we like when we are ready to do it again.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #31

My wife and I have been looking at TT's for the last year or so. We opted for the Hybrids because the beds are taken out of the floor plan and you gain "liveable space". So, we started looking at the various brands of hybrids, Coachmen, Rockwood and others, But what kept bringing us back to Jayco was the lay-out of the X23B. My wife especially liked the extra counter space it offered and the extra drawers as well.

Plus, every you-tube video we looked at, they all stated that Jayco was made by the Amish!!! Need I say more??

We brought it home from the dealer last week-end and we are very pleased with the quality!
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #32

The Amish gentleman that made the cabinets for our range and next to the microwave must have lost his level. The range is tilted to the rear of the stove and Sallie has to shim up bake pans to bake anything in the oven. According to Jayco an uneven range is "not a problem". We will be taking our quality Jayco product in for the 5th time next week. It has been out of service at one dealer or another for a total of 45 days. This thing has been in the shop for so many warranty items that I don't see how Jayco could possibly make a profit on it. Jayco has fixed everything that has happened except for the crooked cabinets. The superior bonded siding with bubbles on the slide most likely will just stay with the trailer as they want us to take it to the selling dealer in Phoenix. We will live with the bubbles in the siding rather than let them work on the trailer. OK, rant over and I feel better.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #33

Send a message via MSN to 2008jeep
I asked people about their experience with TT over a periode of 1.5 years. Then with all the answers I found that Jayco was head and shoulders above the rest as far as positive customers comments. Not one product was without some problems, but the numbers and severity of the problems was my concern. I think, if I remember right, I talked to over 800 people in that year and a half. In the end my wife and I purchased a Skylark TT (21 Feet long) and pulling it with our 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Hemi V-8 (its my first V-8 in 55 years of driving). Anyway, we think we got a great product and what few things have gone wrong, they've been fixed quickly.
2008jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #34

I've not seen this reason mentioned, but perhaps I've missed it in 4 pages of posts:

90 Gallon Fresh Water Tank!!!!!!!
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #35

I thought it was for the quality. Boy was I wrong.
Reese straight line dual cam
17k wd hitch
2005 GMC diesel
Crew cab long bed
:Flag:
bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #36

We liked the 2 year warranty and the quality of the TT. Plus the Jayco was cheaper than the others.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:05 AM   #37

First & formost was the dealer (this is our 3 rd purchase) and then the Jayco quality.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:18 AM   #38

I actually wanted the Heartland Northtrail 28bhs, but when I found a brand new Jayco 28bhs for half the price I couldn't pass it up. I haven't been disappointed with the decision.
Prodigy Brakes
robo59097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:25 AM   #39
Site Team

We were loyal SunnyBrook customers but could not find anything we wanted. Went with Jayco Eagle for the Price point , local dealer service, and floor plan, Went with this model cause it meet our wants and also and came equipped with E rated tires. Once my wife saw the bathroom it was sold.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #40

We just bought our second Jayco 197. I bought a 2008 last year, but it proved a bit too small for my wife and I. We stopped at a big dealer yesterday "just have a look" and came home with a 2012 197 with a slide-out. I was impressed with the first one with regards to quality, but ever more impressed with the 2012 because of the vast improvement in living space due to the slide-out and the obvious commitment to making improvements and useful changes. One look inside with the slide-out sold the trailer.
kjohn73 is offline   Reply With Quote