Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #1

What made you pick the Jayco aver the "other" brands?

So we traded in pur Shasta Revere 21FBS after less than 1 year od ownership. This was a conventional TT and had nothing wrong with it other than we didn't like the U shaped dinette in the slideout and found it 2 feet too small (twofootitis)
This would have been a good tt for weekends but we travel mostly between 5 to 14 night at the time so, too small.
Our dealership sells Jayco and Forest River (Shasta), Everlite, and other brands but talked us into the Jayco for quality.
How did you pick the Jayco over others?
What sets Jayco apart?
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #2

2013 Eagle Super Lite HT 23.5.
Superglide hitch
Super set up
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #3

Quality is good. All trailers will have some issues though.

A big thing for me was the two year warranty, compared to one for most others.

I have contacted Jayco a few times and they were good. Last week I had a problem with the tv hookup and they emailed me the schematic within a few hours.

Gibby3275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #4

I view Jayco overall as a good value for the price - also I believe the array of appliances installed are of good quality compared to other possibly "better" trailers that stumble on some of the appliance selections.
Tommyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #5

We thought we were getting a quality unit. Saddly that hasn't been the case for us. Our old Keystone Montana is looking better all the time.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
Site Team

The quality of the cabinets and furniture inside

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #7

We have been looking for 3+ years for a trailer we both could agree on, which was not an easy task. I insist on quality for the dollar. If it is cheap, I can accept a lower quality. All the comparable trailers had about the same cost, so I expect a comparable quality, but that was not what I found. Most of the trailers had lower quality materials. We went to the camping show this past winter first place we went was to the Jayco section, to get our base line. Then wandered about, the main selling point was all the competitor’s foam mattresses were extremely thin and uncomfortable to lay on. In the hybrids you sunk right into the joint for the bunk ends, and that would NOT be acceptable at all. In the Jayco you NEVER notice the joint for the bunk ends.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
The quality of the cabinets and furniture inside
The cabinets in the 2012 Shasta Revere were excellent. The U dinette was poorly designed and uncomfortable and had cheap fabric. Love the furniture in the JYco, tavle is much more stable, dinette seats and couch very comfortable and good fabrics
Old 07-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #9

I like the 2 year warranty and customer service. On my first pop-up, which was also a jayco I had a problem at 2 years 6 months and Jayco still covered the repair cost which was about $600 . That made me loyal from that point. They stand behind there product. Lot of the problems I see these days are the name brand appliances are not the best quality. On our pop-up the furnace and the converter both went.
brianca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #10

Still family owned and in business for over 40 years. Quality, warranty and willingness to talk to the consumer. As was said all RV's have their share of problems, but JAYCO has been known to go the extra mile to get them resolved even after the warranty is up.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #11

I had the Skyline Nomad/Aljo/Bobcat, Travel Lite Idea, Hi-Lo, Coachmen Viking, Chalet Takena, and Dutchmen on my short list. I had the R-Pod on the list until I found out you couldn't put a true awning on it. That was a total deal-breaker for me. The R-Dome thingee they have was just too complicated and time-consuming to construct for my liking.

I chose the Jayco for the size, weight, price, warranty, quality interior, dealer close to my house, and it matches my truck...(okay, so not really important LOL). I think I looked at every small trailer that had a GVWR of 3500 or less. There are a few issues that I've come across that need to be fixed but nothing major. I'll wait until I actually camp in it next weekend in case there are more things that come up. Some of the units listed above had more standard options than the Jayco (DSI and Electric water heater, cable hookup, convection oven, 14" wheels) but for what I'm going to use it for, I don't need most of those things. I'd like to have the DSI water heater, but I'm just sure I'll be able to light it without losing my eyebrows.

All in all, I think its a quality unit for the price and I'm happy I chose Jayco over the others I considered.

Laura
GoCougs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #12

Jayco claims vacuum laminated walls are superior to the "other brands" laminated walls. Thoughts?
I am very happy with the extra in this 5er... Went camping this weekend and the only thing I'd like that I don't have would be a non- electric awning. Electric awning is not adjustable.
Also, a silly thing, the screen door. Needs to open the plastic thingy to open it and it's got a plastic latch. It's a minor thing but the only one I can really pick on right now, I love this 5th wheel!
Old 07-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #13

The warranty, and the storage, and options that the unit had at the time.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #14

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
Over all value for the dollar, lots of trailer at a reasonable price. Quality components like MorRyde suspension and Progressive Dynamics power distribution center and charge wizard. Things like that make a big difference to me. The overall construction is not that much different to me from some of the other builders. I think for a production built unit this is about as good as it gets.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #15

We like our bunk bed arrangement and the dinner table with our SPORT 16.5 footer
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

In 2005 it was the floorplan, frame construction, interior trim fit, and reputation of the Jayco dealership.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #17

After owning Keystone products, including a Montana, I bought for quality!!! The 2 year warranty is great and the service we get from our dealer on WI is unmatched!!!

The integrity of the structure is like no other. The insulation, Amish made solid wood cabinets, attention to detail in designing every square inch, etc... I could go on and on.

I did months of research before deciding on my 2 Jayco 5th wheels. We have a 2011 Jayco Pinnacle 36RETS and a 2012 Jayco Super Lite 30.5RLS. Love them both and have yet to have a problem with either of them.

The Pinnacle sits at a permanent seasonal campsite. The Super Lite I live in during the 7 month road construction season full time. Last summer I lived in the Pinnacle full time for work.

These units hold their values very well and i do not plan on investing much toward the new ones as we trade right before the 2 yr warranty expires. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342924087.968081.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	4680Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342924120.633618.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	4681[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
rotjovi2269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #18

Over the years we have owned a number of other brands, Sunline, Sunnybrook, Palamino & Skyline to name a few.
Our current Pinnacle is our 2nd Jayco, our 1st Jayco was a 05 Eagle 5th Wheel.
When shopping for our current Pinnacle we looked at a lot of other brands / models, Crossroads Rushmore, Redwood, Heartland Big Horn & Big Country, Dutchmen Infinity, Open Range and more.
We felt the Jayco was the best value fo the money, has a 2 year warranty, good factory & dealer support, solid construction and a floorplan that we both liked.
Since we have been fulltiming in our Pinnacle for 9 months now, we have not regreted our decision and have been very happy with our Jayco and the dealer support for the few minor issues we have had.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #19

We went trailer shopping for the first time this time last year. We only went to one local dealer and the only new campers they sell are Jayco and we saw one we liked. A few weeks later we went to the Hershey RV show and Jayco was the first manufacturer when we walked in and the same TT we saw at home was one of the first ones we saw at the show.

We looked at just about every manufacturer after that and we always get comparing them to Jayco. For one reason or another we found things we didn't like about the other brands. There was really nothing we didn't like about the Jayco.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #20

In 1989 we bought a Jayco Tent trailer and loved ever time we went out. In Dec 2008 we bought a Heartland, Liked it until things started going wrong, [Factory problem] Wife and I decided that it was time to go back to Jayco, we did and this trailer will be with us for a long time. It is everything we wanted and when we need service I take it back to dealer and it is serviced like it should be. Did have a brake problem and turned the Jayco in here in Tucson at a authorized Jayco repair facility and they didn't do what they were supposed to do and now they can only order parts but cannot work on Jayco for warrenty work. That was not Jayco s fault. Ernie
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote