Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-20-2018, 08:22 PM   #1

What makes a bike rack "RV Rated"

What is the difference between an non-RV rated and an RV-rated bike rack?

I currently use a receiver hitch mounted bike rack that holds 3 bikes.

I have installed a receiver on my RV bumper that c/w an anti-rattle/shake bolt

I have installed Mount-n-Lock bumper re-enforcement brackets.

I have a continuously welded bumper rated for 100lbs (before adding the brackets)

My bike rack is the type that you bolt onto a hitch.

So how is the construction of an RV rated rack different?
Old 02-20-2018, 09:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
What is the difference between an non-RV rated and an RV-rated bike rack?

I currently use a receiver hitch mounted bike rack that holds 3 bikes.

I have installed a receiver on my RV bumper that c/w an anti-rattle/shake bolt

I have installed Mount-n-Lock bumper re-enforcement brackets.

I have a continuously welded bumper rated for 100lbs (before adding the brackets)

My bike rack is the type that you bolt onto a hitch.

So how is the construction of an RV rated rack different?
I believe it has to do with the ability to resist the extra lateral forces that after applied to a trailer with longer rear overhang. A bike carrier on the back of a truck can handle regular movement. Putting that behind a camper with longer overhang exacerbates the movement.

That excessive movement can cause the rack to swing into your camper ( happened to me...) or can cause the 90 degree bend to fail, dumping your carrier and bikes in the road.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:38 PM   #3

One difference (so far) is RV rated hitches do not fold up. They are bolted in the open position. Also tested to resist the movements at the end of a Travel Trailer. I hada standard rack on theback of our 26ft Class C. Never had a problem. Bought a RV rated rack when we got a 28ft trailer.

If the rack fails and kills somebody, do you want to go to court with a rack that is specifically RV rated or one thst isn't?
Prior 2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS
jlechmanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:18 AM   #4
Site Team

The ones I have seen are advertised that way by the manufacturer.

I assume this is to absolve them of any liability if it breaks from the extra stress of bouncing around on the back of a trailer.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
I believe it has to do with the ability to resist the extra lateral forces that after applied to a trailer with longer rear overhang. A bike carrier on the back of a truck can handle regular movement. Putting that behind a camper with longer overhang exacerbates the movement.

That excessive movement can cause the rack to swing into your camper ( happened to me...) or can cause the 90 degree bend to fail, dumping your carrier and bikes in the road.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I think it’s ‘cause the sales guy told me it was.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:07 AM   #6

I have a 2 bike Thule rack that goes into the bumper mounted hitch receiver on the back of the trailer (bumper has been extensively reinforced). It's not technically "RV rated" but I've never had a problem. If it's a quality brand name rack and you're not doing a Baja race with your trailer attached, I think it's ok. Especially with only 1 or 2 bikes. The anti-wiggle bolt through the hitch pin hole is key.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:09 AM   #7

This is a message I received from Yakima when I posted a review of their Dr. Tray bike rack which we purchased for our TT.

"My name is Chris and I work on the Yakima Product Management team. Thank you for taking the time to submit a review to our site regarding your new Dr.Tray hitch rack. We want to inform you that the Dr.Tray is not recommended for use on a travel trailer or recreational vehicle. The forces created by heavier suspensions and increased distance from the axels to the hitch receiver found on travel trailers can create a much harsher environment than a regular passenger vehicle. We do have a warning in the instructions indicating this usage is prohibited and on the carton indicating which types of vehicles are approved. We also try our best to educate our dealers on this issue to avoid any potential product failures. This does not only apply to Dr.Tray, but any other rack in our line (or other brands) except the new RV approved units.

Yakima does make two RV/trailer approved hitch racks that you might be interested in. They are called the RoadTrip (part number 8002477)and the LongHaul (8002476) and although they are a different style of hitch rack, they do offer the study construction needed to survive usage on RVs. As well these RV racks do not weigh more than the Dr.Tray, but are made of steel and can hold up to 4 bikes. Please consider these racks as an alternative to using a Dr.Tray on your trailer."

Having seen the results of a standard style bike rack on the side of the road, we went with the LongHaul.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:12 AM   #8
Site Team

That was a nice response. They are already covered if you have a problem, even without the response. It's nice to know someone reads them though.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:36 AM   #9

Question: "What makes a bike rack "RV Rated"

Answer: Dollars

All manufactures know that if they can stick "RV" if front of the product name they can get more dollars for it.
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:17 PM   #10

My Swagman RV rated rack has the stinger portion which goes into the hitch made of solid 1.25" steel. The upright portion is through bolted in 4 places with gussets at the base. It is very stout. It is the original 4 standard non-folding designed for RV's.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post
Question: "What makes a bike rack "RV Rated"

Answer: Dollars

All manufactures know that if they can stick "RV" if front of the product name they can get more dollars for it.

This —-^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2018, 06:22 AM   #12

Here is my experience. We bought our fifth wheel last year so I now needed a place to haul bikes instead of the bed of the truck. Our fifth wheel is a 355MBQS (40 ft Eagle with the factory hitch rated for 300 lbs) After a lot of investigation I purchased this, https://www.yakima.com/longhaul It is supposed to be an RV approved bike rack. We used it for a couple of short trips close to home and it worked OK, kind of a pain to load though. First big trip, about the 4th time we used it, and the arms started to bow. I returned that rack and got my money back. After alot more research, I have found this rack, Pro Series - 4 Bike Carrier - Trailer Hitch Mount It is also supposed to be RV rated. I'm not sure why, but it seems like the platform rack should hold up better than the hanging style. I will be buying the Pro Series next month, hopefully it works better than the Yakima. The Pro Series is the only 4 bike platform style rack I can find that is "RV" rated.
oh355mbqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh355mbqs View Post
Here is my experience. We bought our fifth wheel last year so I now needed a place to haul bikes instead of the bed of the truck. Our fifth wheel is a 355MBQS (40 ft Eagle with the factory hitch rated for 300 lbs) After a lot of investigation I purchased this, https://www.yakima.com/longhaul It is supposed to be an RV approved bike rack. We used it for a couple of short trips close to home and it worked OK, kind of a pain to load though. First big trip, about the 4th time we used it, and the arms started to bow. I returned that rack and got my money back. After alot more research, I have found this rack, Pro Series - 4 Bike Carrier - Trailer Hitch Mount It is also supposed to be RV rated. I'm not sure why, but it seems like the platform rack should hold up better than the hanging style. I will be buying the Pro Series next month, hopefully it works better than the Yakima. The Pro Series is the only 4 bike platform style rack I can find that is "RV" rated.
That's interesting. Thanks for the input. I bought the Long Haul for our FW a few months ago because it was "RV rated". I was pleased with my previous Yakima rack that wasn't "RV rated". I guess it will be interesting to see if this one works or was a waste.
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote