Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-29-2022, 07:40 AM   #1

What Mattress?

My wife and I have bought 2 replacement mattresses based on reviews for our TT and have been disappointed with both. I know what works best for one doesn't necessarily work best for another. We are looking for a middle of the road mattress in terms of firmness. Not rock hard but still providing enough support where we don't wake up with cricks in our necks and achy shoulders. We're both average weight for our heights.

Looking for a recommendation in a medium firmness mattress (full queen).
2016 Ram 2500 CC SWB 6.4 Hemi 3:73
2021 Jay Flight 33RBTS- +/- 10,500 lbs. on travel day
Hughes Power Watchdog Bluetooth surge protector
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 07:54 AM   #2

Thats a loaded question and you will get 1000 opionons-- Thats OK though, so here is my 2 cents-Over decades of RVing, and several dollars spent looking for a suitable alternative, to the crap factory mattres, we bought a RV Sleep Number. Not as good as our $$$ home mattress, but close.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 07:56 AM   #3

Recommending a mattress is not easy as what works for one may not work for another. The original mattress in our Pinnacle was garbage so I replaced it with a memory foam mattress from Costco. I can't remember the brand but after using it for a camping season it just didn't work for us. Too hard. Costco has a very liberal return policy for mattresses so I took it back and bought a Casper Original, also a memory foam, but just the right combination of softness on top but supportive further down. I kind of already knew it would work as we have a Casper Hybrid at home. The Hybrid is a bit better but more money. We are also medium sized folks.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 09:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Thats a loaded question and you will get 1000 opionons-- Thats OK though, so here is my 2 cents-Over decades of RVing, and several dollars spent looking for a suitable alternative, to the crap factory mattres, we bought a RV Sleep Number. Not as good as our $$$ home mattress, but close.
Thanks we just bought a sleep number for the house. It's more than I am willing to spend on a bed for our camper but they are nice no doubt.
Old 11-29-2022, 09:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
Recommending a mattress is not easy as what works for one may not work for another. The original mattress in our Pinnacle was garbage so I replaced it with a memory foam mattress from Costco. I can't remember the brand but after using it for a camping season it just didn't work for us. Too hard. Costco has a very liberal return policy for mattresses so I took it back and bought a Casper Original, also a memory foam, but just the right combination of softness on top but supportive further down. I kind of already knew it would work as we have a Casper Hybrid at home. The Hybrid is a bit better but more money. We are also medium sized folks.
Good info thanks!
Old 11-29-2022, 02:21 PM   #6
Site Team

We replaced our original mattress with a 10" (short queen) Zinus memory foam from Amazon. Probably should have bought an 8", so we wouldn't have to "hike up" on it, but it's very comfortable, and I don't get any complaints from the DW about back pain. I'm not soliciting the brand, as there's many good ones out there, just the one we landed on at the time.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 02:30 PM   #7
CAG

Quote:
My wife and I have bought 2 replacement mattresses based on reviews for our TT and have been disappointed with both.

Sorry to say but that is what will happen following recommendations. It is said in several posts above but what works for me won't likely work for you. You can either keep trying or go to a mattress store and try a few out but again, 15 minutes on a store mattress is not 8 hours worth.

As to Numbers Bed. We have a very expensive model at home and neither of us can seem to find the correct setting. It gets worse as you get older.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 02:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
We replaced our original mattress with a 10" (short queen) Zinus memory foam from Amazon. Probably should have bought an 8", so we wouldn't have to "hike up" on it, but it's very comfortable, and I don't get any complaints from the DW about back pain. I'm not soliciting the brand, as there's many good ones out there, just the one we landed on at the time.
I actually had a Zinus in my shopping cart and ended up going with a Lucid 8" instead. The Lucid is not even a little bit good at least for us.
Old 11-29-2022, 02:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
You can either keep trying or go to a mattress store and try a few out but again, 15 minutes on a store mattress is not 8 hours worth.
Yeah we have done the mattress store tours many times searching for a mattress for the house and about 10 grand later (3 mattresses and an adjustable base) we still had not found the solution.
Old 11-29-2022, 03:40 PM   #10

We added a memory foam topper to our Tuft and Needle memory foam bed and got it about as good as we could. Our next option will be two smaller memory foam pads, one slightly softer than the other side by side.