Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2016, 10:05 PM   #1

What other brands to consider

I have spent a good amount of my time and research reviewing Jaycos trailers in part because I really like the layouts and designs they offer. While I know no one makes a perfect trailer there are some who make a pretty bad one. I like to shop around before making a final decision. Are there any other brands that would be considered as equal or better than Jayco I should research as well?

foxrider68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:44 PM   #2

Airstream if you have excessively deep pockets!

Murff

Andersen Hitch
Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:46 PM   #3

The only 5th wheel layout and build quality that I liked better than Jayco was a Northwoods - but they are only sold on the west coast so I never really considered them.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
The only 5th wheel layout and build quality that I liked better than Jayco was a Northwoods - but they are only sold on the west coast so I never really considered them.
There is a dealer near me for them. Based on my needs they have a Nash and a Snow River that would work but for one reason or the other depending on the model the scales lean towards Jayco's favor. However when I started my research Northwoods website was probably the first one I started with but I quickly found Jayco's lineup and been here since then. I have been to a few RV shows and the only other brand that my wife and I have liked on a consistent basis is some of the smaller Winnebagos but their interior styles can be a little out there for my tastes. There are so many brands its intimidating!
foxrider68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:00 AM   #5

I currently have a Northwood Artic Fox. It has been the best RV I have owned and is solid as a rock. If they had a better selection of fifth wheel floorplans for families there would be no question I would buy another. However Jayco has always been on my radar and when I ordered my AF the dealer was just picking up the Jayco line at that time. I have eight plus families we have introduced to camping and all have purchased Jayco products and been very happy with them. Given our current situation and the desire to move into a more family friendly fifth wheel layout I didn't even bother to look at anything other than the Jayco line after eliminating Arctic Fox.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:55 AM   #6

Although I cant recommend something "better" than a Jayco, I will give you my $.02 on who to avoid.

I would stay as far away from ANY Keystone product as you can. My folks have a Mountaineer 5th wheel they bought new. It has been nothing but problems from the beginning. Leaks in the roof, leaks in the windows, landing gear problems, microwave had about caught fire (was glowing red inside and not even running), waste plumbing leaks, shackle mounts breaking away from the frame, shackle links breaking (maybe that was normal wear?), slide out hydrolic system went bad and the list im sure could go on.

The other I would stay away from is Terry (which im not even sure they are in the game anymore). Ive seen a couple with severe water damage from leaking roof and windows.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:10 AM   #7

I've been peeking at the Highland Ridge RVs lately. Specifically their line of 5ers called "The Light". I saw some at a show in January, and they have a lot of nice standard features, AND a TRANSFERABLE 2-year warranty. The units seem to be built well, but I really haven't done any real research on them as I'm just goofing around. I'm not in the market.

The company is owned by Jayco though, so I don't know that it counts as "non-Jayco"?

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:16 PM   #8

I ignore brand when shopping for something.

Floorplan, quality of build, proper equipment are primary.

That plan worked great for the new TT.

Not so much for the last new car I bought (VW Jetta 2.0 TDI -y'know, the illegal ones).

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:47 PM   #9

I've heard good things about Primetime and Heartland. Not a fan of Forest River or Keystone.
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:14 PM   #10
Site Team

I have owned a couple of other brands. the BIGGEST selling point at least to me was Jayco's 2 year warranty. as apposed to 1 year for the other brands.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote