Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2014, 07:22 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
How could a V6 powered 3500lb tow vehicle not be suitable for a pop up

you don't need a dually for everything
I am sorry I must have missed where the OP stated exactly what "V6" vehicle in question was mentioned...the OP only stated a 3500# capacity to what I could see and read so I was simply trying to help the OP with the all options based on more info.

OP if you state your vehicle information here it will help with providing better insight on what you might find suitable to tow.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:36 AM   #22
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
I am sorry I must have missed where the OP stated exactly what "V6" vehicle in question was mentioned...the OP only stated a 3500# capacity to what I could see and read so I was simply trying to help the OP with the all options based on more info.

OP if you state your vehicle information here it will help with providing better insight on what you might find suitable to tow.
if it has a 3500 lb tow rating it has a 3500 lb tow rating....she didn't mention a V6 but it must unless it is an escape with the ecoboost. But a 3500 lb tow rated vehicle will haul a pup like it isn't there. Been there done it for 1000's of miles.
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:12 AM   #23

Quote:
if it has a 3500 lb tow rating it has a 3500 lb tow rating....she didn't mention a V6 but it must unless it is an escape with the ecoboost. But a 3500 lb tow rated vehicle will haul a pup like it isn't there. Been there done it for 1000's of miles.

Chevy Colorado 4cylinder has a 3500 lb tow rating. I am guessing there are probably others.
The OP never mentioned V6 just like 3'senough never mentioned dually. Regardless, 3'senough simply ask the OP to state what the tow vehicle is. That is relevant, anything questioning why he is asking is irrelevant.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:19 AM   #24
Lost in the Woods

and a chevy colorado will tow a pup like it isn't there as well. I am just questioning his reasoning of saying she shouldn't tow a pup. I agree she shouldn't tow a highside trailer but a pup is definitely doable no matter what "make" of vehicle. 3500lb tow rating is a 3500lb tow rating....

on edit I agree the OP could provide the info but in 3 pages of discussion she hasn't been on once
Old 09-08-2014, 08:27 AM   #25

Depends on the size of the pup as to what will/will not tow it like it isn't even there.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:01 AM   #26
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
Depends on the size of the pup as to what will/will not tow it like it isn't even there.
exactly..just like certain 5th wheels will drag a dually down and others won't feel like it is there....That is a given..but coming from a tent and looking to upgrade to a Pup the majority of pups are in her capacity that she would likely buy.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:08 AM   #27
Lost in the Woods

to the OP.

In my opinion I think you should stick with a low side trailer (pop up) if you make the transition from tenting. Most pups will be in your range that you can comfortably tow. As it is just the 2 of you I would suggest a simple 8 footer that will give you a fridge , heat a table and 2 big beds to raise you off the ground. Simple to tow and easy to set up and care for. I think you guys would have a blast and build memories that would last a lifetime. A highwall trailer may be in your future but with the huge differences in towing behaviors between the 2 I would stick with the pup for now.
I bought my pup used and camped for 4 years with it and sold it for 1000 less than I payed for it then upgraded to our hybrid.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:19 AM   #28
Lost in the Woods

or another great option for 2 people is this....no worries of rain and i believe it sets up in seconds
http://www.jayco.com/products/campin...ies-sport/12h/
Old 09-08-2014, 10:15 AM   #29

jessinwa,

First off, welcome to the JOF! The folks on here are great at helping folks solve their RV'ing problems and at answering their questions. As suggested, if you'll post your tow vehicle make, model, and year, we'll be able to look up the specs on it to better advise you. That being said, I'd agree that the J-Series Sport might be the perfect option for you: loaded weight is well under your max; low profile for less wind resistance/easier towing/better mpg; easier set-up than a pop-up, and they're hard sided for better heat retention in cooler weather, and added security when over-nighting in rest stops, Walmarts, etc. Besides that, they're cuter than Hell!

My first trailer was an ultralight that I pulled with a Mazda Tribute V-6 (like a Ford Escape). Traveled around Michigan's U.P. and even drove it from Michigan to Nebraska a couple of times. Let me tell you, pulling it with that light a vehicle was a lot of work - and wind/passing semi's made it difficult to keep it on the road. After 2 years, I traded the Tribute in on a Ford Ranger pick-up with H.D. Tow Package, and it made a world of difference! I would NOT recommend towing a high profile trailer with anything less!

More info = better advise. Good luck with your decision! and Happy Camping!
Old 09-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #30

Quote:
or another great option for 2 people is this....no worries of rain and i believe it sets up in seconds
http://www.jayco.com/products/campin...ies-sport/12h/
x2. Simple to tow and quieter than a soft sided PUP
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:56 AM   #31

Sorry I was MIA!! The post got moved (which makes sense) but I wasn't getting notifications.

OK so I'll touch on a few things. I have a v6 AWD Venza and it has the required equipment for a #3500 tow. This is the method for Toyota's weight ratings:
For light-duty full-size pickups (GVWR < 8,500 lbs.), SAE J2807 assumes that the tow vehicle includes any options with higher than 33 percent penetration;
It assumes there is both a driver and passenger in the vehicle, each weighing 150 pounds;
It assumes that tow vehicles also include up to 70 pounds of aftermarket hitch equipment (where applicable); and
For conventional trailer towing, SAE J2807 assumes that 10 percent of the trailer weight is on the tongue.

No matter which option I plan to make sure the dry weight is less than 2500. That would give me 1000lbs for batteries, cargo etc. That reasonable? Also I'll make sure whatever I get is under the 350 tounge.

Next - I live in Seattle. So rain at any given time IS a possibility and unfortunately I have had to go home and set up my tent to let it dry (such as labor day weekend when a stream of water found its way under our tent.) One of the reasons I am ready to get moving on a trailer. AC would be a nice option, we often drive about 5 hours to easter washignton and have had days hit the 100s where even our tent was just too hot to be in at 8am.

I do like the hybrids. Convenience of everythign being unpacked and ready to go except the bed and I can leave that as it is and stick to the interior bed if there is rain or if we are just doing a late night stop at a rest area (or walmart as suggested, good idea!)

Some things that concern me with popups are the electrical set up, what if it gives out in the middle of nowhere? Do they all have a manual lever in the event that the electronics face an issue? If I have been driving 13 hours will I really want to go through to whole set up process. hmmmmmmmm
jessinwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:04 AM   #32

Thanks for the suggestions on the J sport harside. I think I need to go sit in one. I feel like the sides might seem so claustrophobic!! Maybe once I'm in one it won't seem like it at all. I like the floorplan of the 12. I feel like there is a nice bit of space to move around etc.

I really liked the idea of a hi-low but those went out of business
Old 09-09-2014, 07:14 AM   #33

I've never used a pop up that requires electricity. Everyone I've had has a manual crank. As far as pop ups or hybrids, you still need to let them dry when packed away wet but its not a big deal as you just set them up and leave them for however many days. I had better luck with this with hybrids as there is not as much wet canvas packed into the trailer on go home day.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:19 AM   #34

Quote:
I think first towing experience with a 3500lb max TV should be started with a pop up. I truly do. I have many years of towing experience from OTR trucks to utilities trailers to our past pup(missed greatly) and now our X17A Hybrid. I tow as you can see with our Rav4 and I am at max or slightly over but I have the confidence in my driving to know what I am into. To start out with a highside trailer I do not recommend.
You should not ever be over a max weight. It's not so much about vehicle tow ability as it is liability. If you get into a wreck, even if its not "your" fault, they will probably look at the weights and capacities. If you are over you will be liable and there will be a lawyer ready to hold you accountable. Has nothing to do with your experience or ability.

Anybody can tow a small hybrid at first. Get a good hitch set up and take your time. You will learn.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:56 AM   #35

Jessinwa, based on your specs and camping type I would suggest the SLX hybrid 16XRB. Here is my reasoning.
1. You have a bathroom accesible at all times. On or off the road.
2. Tank capacities
3. Heat and AC
4. You can still stay in the unit without putting out the tent ends.(put away dry if rain is forecast before your departure)
5. You only need to open one tent end should you need to.
5. Decent refrigerator and freezer.
6. Setup is half the time and no mechanized parts to break.
7. Weight and GVWR is within your specs.
8. Able to load and unload at home without having to open up.

I would also echo the need for a good weight distribution and sway control setup. Should you go this direction please start a new thread on that specific part as there are some very knowledgeable people here who can get you in the right direction. Best thing to do is try some on for size and get in them, but don't let the sales people tell you what is ok or not. Look at the specs for yourself. Good luck and enjoy the process.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:25 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
Best thing to do is try some on for size and get in them, but don't let the sales people tell you what is ok or not. Look at the specs for yourself. Good luck and enjoy the process.
A big +1 on this one. Most RV salesmen will tell you your Pinto will tow anything on their lot all day long. ALWAYS independently verify anything the salesman says. You know the old adage: "Q: How can you tell a salesman is lying? A: His lips are moving."

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:29 AM   #37
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPCamper View Post
You should not ever be over a max weight. It's not so much about vehicle tow ability as it is liability. If you get into a wreck, even if its not "your" fault, they will probably look at the weights and capacities. If you are over you will be liable and there will be a lawyer ready to hold you accountable. Has nothing to do with your experience or ability.

Anybody can tow a small hybrid at first. Get a good hitch set up and take your time. You will learn.
not to hijack this post but we don't have that kind of litigious society in Canada. I don't think anyone has the ability to collect all of the wreckage and weigh it. It would never happen but as I said I am accustomed to towing and when a big rig flies past me and gives me the ole suck and push I still only have one hand on the wheel and ride with the flow. An inexperienced tower may react and go in the ditch.

I still think a pup is her best option to keep enjoyment high. I truly think with a highwall trailer and the costs and worked involved she will stop camping.

Plus like I did ,just sell the pup for not much less than you paid and then upgrade if you like
Old 09-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #38

Well I doubt much would get me to stop camping I work 3 13hr days a week in the summer to spend weekends camping.

I like the idea of the hybrid!! I like the light of a popup but I do really like the idea that if the weather is garbage we could "turtle" and just snuggle up on the dinnet.

NOW the big question. In looking at various hybrids, I do like the bunk/hybrid r-pod. the bunk would give me the option to just stay on a bunk instead of put out the bed if needed - or if it was just me and the kiddo for a quick stop on a long trip. But since everyone here is Jayco lovers, I would love to know if there are problems with the r-pod so I can put that company to rest and just go with the jayco. The shape of the r-pod makes me think it might be better for driving/wind resistance.

I do plan to get a wigh distributing hitch and an anti-sway on it. I'd rather send the money on quality and doing it right than wishing I had later.

Now I *really* like the x17z floorplan quite a bit. And there is a dinnet and couch in the event its pouring buckets or something and we are just going to turtle it for the night. Its at 2785. Its a little high on my scale of size, but there is still room to give. If I keep cargo light and make sure the tanks are empty for travel, you think this would be ok?

Thanks everyone!! I'm getting very excited
Old 09-09-2014, 10:11 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessinwa View Post
Well I doubt much would get me to stop camping I work 3 13hr days a week in the summer to spend weekends camping.

I like the idea of the hybrid!! I like the light of a popup but I do really like the idea that if the weather is garbage we could "turtle" and just snuggle up on the dinnet.

NOW the big question. In looking at various hybrids, I do like the bunk/hybrid r-pod. the bunk would give me the option to just stay on a bunk instead of put out the bed if needed - or if it was just me and the kiddo for a quick stop on a long trip. But since everyone here is Jayco lovers, I would love to know if there are problems with the r-pod so I can put that company to rest and just go with the jayco. The shape of the r-pod makes me think it might be better for driving/wind resistance.

I do plan to get a wigh distributing hitch and an anti-sway on it. I'd rather send the money on quality and doing it right than wishing I had later.

Now I *really* like the x17z floorplan quite a bit. And there is a dinnet and couch in the event its pouring buckets or something and we are just going to turtle it for the night. Its at 2785. Its a little high on my scale of size, but there is still room to give. If I keep cargo light and make sure the tanks are empty for travel, you think this would be ok?

Thanks everyone!! I'm getting very excited
I looked at the R-Pods A LOT before we decided to get a truck and a large TT. I was planning to tow it with a Nissan XTerra which would have handled it fine. I really liked the aerodynamics, the weight, and the floorplans.

Some things I had difficulty with were the "wet bath", and the price. They are VERY expensive for the size trailer you get IMO.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:12 AM   #40

We always travel with the tanks empty and fill once at the CG. Also, that leaves you 715 lbs of stuff to load into trailer. I doubt you will ever hit that. I don't think we load that much into our fifth wheel. Not to mention some stuff can be loaded into TV assuming you have extra payload. The only thing I'd be cautious of is the spec weight for the trailer. Our new fifth wheel is about 7% heavier than the brochure stated. Not a big deal but surprising. I'd go find a X17Z on the lot somewhere and check the actual sticker on it before buying or ordering.