Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2014, 08:22 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
How could a V6 powered 3500lb tow vehicle not be suitable for a pop up

you don't need a dually for everything
I am sorry I must have missed where the OP stated exactly what "V6" vehicle in question was mentioned...the OP only stated a 3500# capacity to what I could see and read so I was simply trying to help the OP with the all options based on more info.

OP if you state your vehicle information here it will help with providing better insight on what you might find suitable to tow.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #22
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
I am sorry I must have missed where the OP stated exactly what "V6" vehicle in question was mentioned...the OP only stated a 3500# capacity to what I could see and read so I was simply trying to help the OP with the all options based on more info.

OP if you state your vehicle information here it will help with providing better insight on what you might find suitable to tow.
if it has a 3500 lb tow rating it has a 3500 lb tow rating....she didn't mention a V6 but it must unless it is an escape with the ecoboost. But a 3500 lb tow rated vehicle will haul a pup like it isn't there. Been there done it for 1000's of miles.

nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:12 AM   #23

Quote:
if it has a 3500 lb tow rating it has a 3500 lb tow rating....she didn't mention a V6 but it must unless it is an escape with the ecoboost. But a 3500 lb tow rated vehicle will haul a pup like it isn't there. Been there done it for 1000's of miles.

Chevy Colorado 4cylinder has a 3500 lb tow rating. I am guessing there are probably others.
The OP never mentioned V6 just like 3'senough never mentioned dually. Regardless, 3'senough simply ask the OP to state what the tow vehicle is. That is relevant, anything questioning why he is asking is irrelevant.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:19 AM   #24
Lost in the Woods

and a chevy colorado will tow a pup like it isn't there as well. I am just questioning his reasoning of saying she shouldn't tow a pup. I agree she shouldn't tow a highside trailer but a pup is definitely doable no matter what "make" of vehicle. 3500lb tow rating is a 3500lb tow rating....

on edit I agree the OP could provide the info but in 3 pages of discussion she hasn't been on once
Old 09-08-2014, 09:27 AM   #25

Depends on the size of the pup as to what will/will not tow it like it isn't even there.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:01 AM   #26
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
Depends on the size of the pup as to what will/will not tow it like it isn't even there.
exactly..just like certain 5th wheels will drag a dually down and others won't feel like it is there....That is a given..but coming from a tent and looking to upgrade to a Pup the majority of pups are in her capacity that she would likely buy.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:08 AM   #27
Lost in the Woods

to the OP.

In my opinion I think you should stick with a low side trailer (pop up) if you make the transition from tenting. Most pups will be in your range that you can comfortably tow. As it is just the 2 of you I would suggest a simple 8 footer that will give you a fridge , heat a table and 2 big beds to raise you off the ground. Simple to tow and easy to set up and care for. I think you guys would have a blast and build memories that would last a lifetime. A highwall trailer may be in your future but with the huge differences in towing behaviors between the 2 I would stick with the pup for now.
I bought my pup used and camped for 4 years with it and sold it for 1000 less than I payed for it then upgraded to our hybrid.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #28
Lost in the Woods

or another great option for 2 people is this....no worries of rain and i believe it sets up in seconds
http://www.jayco.com/products/campin...ies-sport/12h/
Old 09-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #29

jessinwa,

First off, welcome to the JOF! The folks on here are great at helping folks solve their RV'ing problems and at answering their questions. As suggested, if you'll post your tow vehicle make, model, and year, we'll be able to look up the specs on it to better advise you. That being said, I'd agree that the J-Series Sport might be the perfect option for you: loaded weight is well under your max; low profile for less wind resistance/easier towing/better mpg; easier set-up than a pop-up, and they're hard sided for better heat retention in cooler weather, and added security when over-nighting in rest stops, Walmarts, etc. Besides that, they're cuter than Hell!

My first trailer was an ultralight that I pulled with a Mazda Tribute V-6 (like a Ford Escape). Traveled around Michigan's U.P. and even drove it from Michigan to Nebraska a couple of times. Let me tell you, pulling it with that light a vehicle was a lot of work - and wind/passing semi's made it difficult to keep it on the road. After 2 years, I traded the Tribute in on a Ford Ranger pick-up with H.D. Tow Package, and it made a world of difference! I would NOT recommend towing a high profile trailer with anything less!

More info = better advise. Good luck with your decision! and Happy Camping!
Old 09-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #30

Quote:
or another great option for 2 people is this....no worries of rain and i believe it sets up in seconds
http://www.jayco.com/products/campin...ies-sport/12h/
x2. Simple to tow and quieter than a soft sided PUP

Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote