Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2014, 09:08 AM   #1

Question What should I get??

So I've been searching searching and I just don't know what to get. After years of tent camping with my kiddo we are getting a bit tired of the cold and rain and looking to start camping in April, when tent camping is just too cold. So I'm looking to find something better so we can enjoy our trips more. My vehicle has a 3500 tow rating so I can go with a lightweight trailer or a popup (I think I'll post this in both forums actually!)

I'm leaning toward a popup because easier towing and gas mileage. But I'm also a single mom with a kiddo so I wonder if its too much of a hassle setting it up (as people at campgrounds have told me) and if its just worth the extra ding on mileage and not having to worry so much about set up and go with a trailer (and have the bathroom/shower option as a bonus).

We have a big road trip coming up, and may stop at rest stops for the night (washington to arizona). Whats the ding on mileage of a travel trailer vs a popup?

SO - sell me on your camper!! What should I get??

jessinwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

first off welcome

A pop up is extremely easy to camp with. Actually although travel trailers may be easier to setup the maintenance and systems they have over a pop up(hot water heaters,bathrooms,A/C's) can involve more work.

The fuel economy will be different. I went from my 10 flagstaff 208 to my current X17A and the fuel economy dropped by 4-5MPG. Fuel economy will suck either way so I wouldn't concern yourself with it.

My popup was backed in and set up in 1/2 hour..no biggee.. never in a rush as I was camping. My hybrid takes almost as long with the added systems(water/sewer)

Get a popup. you will love it

edit:don't listen to people in campgrounds telling you pop ups are difficult. They obviously are clueless

nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:41 AM   #3

Because you're used to tent camping, I doubt that a pop-up is too much work. While I haven't owned one, I have to believe that it's easier than a tent to setup and more comfortable.

The other advantage of the pop-up is that it's easier to tow with less strain on you and the tow vehicle. It's more compact and some can even be stored in the garage when not in use.

Since your vehicle has a low tow rating, I would be inclined to stay the pop-up route. Jayco has the "Sport Hard Wall" series which may be an attractive route as it appears to be really easy to setup and would probably be a good candidate for a rest area / Walmart stopover.

You can download a brochure
http://www.jayco.com/products/campin...and-downloads/
and take a look at the various options. I would personally shy away from a travel trailer because with a 3500# weight rating even the smallest travel trailer is going to be right close to that rating and could be difficult to tow.

As a final note.... I have seen more women (single moms and 2 women pairs) in popup's than in smaller trailers.
Streamline your A/C
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #4
Site Team

Just be sure to get the electric lift system! My old pup was manual lift and with a AC on top it was VERY hard to lift. Other than that we loved our pop up. Good luck!

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #5

I have owned two different popup's over the years of camping. I would agree with wvdusty and advise you to buy one with electric lift , also stay with in that towing limit no matter what the dealer says , also you might want to consider your rving requirements might be 5-7 yrs from now. Things like ease of set up, bath facilities, a/c,heat just my two thx
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #6

If you are planning on longer multi stop trips, then I would not get a pop up. Setting up a pop up is not so difficult. But breaking the pop up down, driving to another campground and setting up again is difficult. Particularly when children are around. We got sick of doing this and moved into a travel trailer. There are light weight units that you could tow.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:22 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

pop ups whether they are being taken down or putting up with children is a piece of cake...been there done it MANY times....
Old 09-07-2014, 02:43 PM   #8

Also to take into consideration the climate. There will be times you will have rain when setting or tearing down. You will have to set up to dry out the canvas otherwise you will be dealing with mold issues.

That said we owned a PUP with an electric lift and bathroom, for 9 yrs and yes I did set it up at times by myself, it was work but doable, kept it simple with the packing but the majority of the time DH and I shared the packing, setup and tear down. DD pitched in starting at the age of 5.

I would think a small light weight TT or a hybrid where you can keep the bed closed if it is raining and sleep inside while it is turtled. Packing and clean up would be so much easier than having to pop it up. JMHO
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #9
Lost in the Woods

I think first towing experience with a 3500lb max TV should be started with a pop up. I truly do. I have many years of towing experience from OTR trucks to utilities trailers to our past pup(missed greatly) and now our X17A Hybrid. I tow as you can see with our Rav4 and I am at max or slightly over but I have the confidence in my driving to know what I am into. To start out with a highside trailer I do not recommend.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by maromeo View Post
Also to take into consideration the climate. There will be times you will have rain when setting or tearing down. You will have to set up to dry out the canvas otherwise you will be dealing with mold issues.

That said we owned a PUP for 9 yrs and yes I did set it up at times by myself, it was work but doable, kept it simple with the packing but the majority of the time DH and I shared the packing, setup and tear down. DD pitched in starting at the age of 5.

I would think a small light weight TT or a hybrid where you can keep the bed closed if it is raining and sleep inside while it is turtled. Packing and clean up would be so much easier than having to pop it up. JMHO

Agreed. Pop ups are great if its always sunny and 75. We had one for a while and I'd like to get another as a "weekender". But a hybrid would be the best of both worlds. Space and light weight. With kids, the bathroom is great. Pop ups aren't hard to set up, but offer less floor space, options, and protections from the elements when things get nasty outside. Really just depends on how much you plan to use it, and what time of year.

UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote