Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2015, 04:03 PM   #1

What size to buy?

My family and I are looking at purchasing our first camper and are kinda in a crossroads as to what would be the best size to purchase. Currently I have a 2006 Dodge Durango AWD with the 5.7 litre Hemi and 3.55 gears and I am unsure of the max tow capacity. I have been told that it would be about 8500lbs and I will be purchasing a equalizer hitch as well to make the coiled rear end stand up a little bit better. So I guess my question is can you help me verify this max tow and what model camper would you recommend

Thanks in advanced
Moparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 04:39 PM   #2

I say this a lot, a visit to the CAT Scale will show what your current weight is. The weight sticker on the driver's side "B" pillar will let you know what the GAWR is for front and rear. The difference between the Rear GAWR and the drive axle weight (from the scale) is how much more weight you can add. Assume about 100# for the hitch and the rest can be tongue weight. Let's say that number is 950#. Since the tongue is about 15% of the trailer's weight, that suggests a max trailer weight around 6300#. I have no way of knowing the actual numbers but hopefully you get my point. The scale will be about $10.
The CAT Scale is your friend.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:44 PM   #3

Forget the overall weight... you need to focus on max HITCH weight. Like RedHorse said, load up the family and gear you would pack in the truck and take it to a truck scale. Weigh your rig, then subtract that from your GVWR. That is your MAX HITCH WEIGHT.

Once you know that number, you can look at trailers. Remember though that manufacturers list a DRY hitch weight. Your trailer will be heavier with options and gear, therefore your hitch weight will be higher.

I would guess you will be looking at either a popup or a hybrid. A full box RV is a lot of weight for a smaller SUV. I would suggest you go to RV shows and look at popups and hybrids and see if they will work for your family. We have 3 yappy dogs, so we needed a full box RV so they don't hear everything outside and bark incessantly.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:31 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum!

All good advice - the CAT Scale is your friend

I suspect any trailer with a total weight of more than #5000 would be a serious challenge for your Durango.

There is a lot of good information on this in the Towing section of this forum

Good Luck!
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:38 PM   #5

I guess I have a hard time understanding how a 1/2 ton suv with a v8 and heavy duty tow package would be limited to a pop up trailer or 5000 lbs my car hauler is 2500 lbs and loaded is well over 5000 and has never struggled with that but you guys have done the rv thing longer than I have so I guess I'll start with the scales
Old 06-27-2015, 06:39 PM   #6

Spoon is on it. A hybrid or PUP would probably be a good choice. As an example, our first TT was a hybrid (X23B). Max tow for the TV (Ford Expedition) was around 8000#. Our TT weighed around 4300# and our tongue was 620#. We were around 200# shy of the Max rear axle weight and only about half of what was supposed to be our max tow weight. IMHO the max tow weight is a worthless number.
I'll say it again: the CAT Scale is your friend.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 06-27-2015, 06:45 PM   #7

Just for info, we had a 5.3L Silverado, 4:10 axle, and it was rated by GM to tow 8700#. Our TTwas 24', and loaded was about 6k, and it did a good job towing it.
But, there was more than one time when we were out West that I told the DW that I wouldn't want to have a 8700lb. trailer behind me. It may have done all right on flat level ground, but on some of those long grades I don't think it would have cut it.
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:46 PM   #8

I completely agree with previous posts regarding the CAT scale and weighing your specific vehicle. Here is a link to Chrysler's 2006 Durango specs. You can look up your specific trim level, engine and gears to get an idea of what your rig might be able to handle. The CAT scale will give you the final numbers though.

The trailer towing specs are on the last page. I see there is notation on that page that states the towing specs are only if equipped with the tow package - otherwise it's a max of 2000lbs tow capacity.

http://www.media.chrysler.com/dcxms/...ifications.pdf
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:53 PM   #9

Thanks that helps a lot shows 8650 so I will check out scales when I get to work and see what those numbers work out to
Old 06-27-2015, 07:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparman View Post
I guess I have a hard time understanding how a 1/2 ton suv with a v8 and heavy duty tow package would be limited to a pop up trailer or 5000 lbs my car hauler is 2500 lbs and loaded is well over 5000 and has never struggled with that but you guys have done the rv thing longer than I have so I guess I'll start with the scales
Particularly with the 1/2 tons payload is almost always the limiting factor - many will never pull close to what their "max tow capacity" is because they don't have enough payload capability due to options added at the factory, by the dealer or by the owner. This is what the CAT scale will confirm for you - just how much tongue weight you can handle after you put everybody and everything into the tow vehicle.

I use 13% of the the trailers GVWR as rule of thumb for estimating the tongue weight of the trailer when loaded with gear - others recommend 15% for a little extra margin. So once you have the actual payload left for tongue weight it's pretty easy to see what the max GVWR for the trailer should be to stay within the limits.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:09 PM   #11

I agree with all the answers above, it's not about how much you can tow, it's about how much weight your vehicle can carry. Almost always you will run out of load capacity long before you run out of towing capacity.

You don't want to over load your vehicle and become unsafe. I see it almost daily here at the campground I'm at...amazing what some folks think they can tow, just because it will move it down the road. Rear bumper of the vehicle is almost on the ground, rear of trailer sticking way up in the air...scary to see let alone drive.

Good luck and safe RVing.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:17 PM   #12

First of all welcome to the forum. The others are spot on with excellent advice. You are wise to seek advice from folks that have been there and done that BEFORE you buy your travel trailer. I'm speaking from experience, the sales people will tell you "oh sure your vehicle will tow this little ole travel trailer".....Visit the scales..Happy Camping
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks that helps a lot shows 8650 so I will check out scales when I get to work and see what those numbers work out to
I see 4WD and 3.55 gears has a max tow of 7150. I would start thinking about a TT of about half of what the max tow # is. Knowing your realistic towing numbers can lead to some entertaining conversations when you start shopping.
"Durango? Man, that's the best! I'd suggest you take a look at the Road Dog Delux. It is only 10k# and your TV can pull that 'lil babe thru the Rockies without breaking a sweat."
A TT will have a sticker similar to the TV showing the "weight" of the trailer. That's EMPTY weight. The real weight will include your "stuff" which can be 200-800#. A smaller TT will have closer to the lower end of the "stuff". Don't forget that everything packed in the TV consumes some of the cargo allowance which reduces what remains for the TT tongue. Bicycles, pets, chairs, kids, adult bev's.....
We've owned 2 TT's (see my sig below) and love both.
Good luck and keep us updated! Keep asking questions, I lurked for a year before buying our first and can say (with confidence) you can't ask a bad or dumb question. I tried.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 06-27-2015, 08:03 PM   #14

Call me crazy but I thought the road dog delux was a motorcycle trailer if I'm wrong can you send me a link to the one you are referring to so we can check that one out please thank you for your responses all good helpful info
Old 06-27-2015, 09:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Call me crazy but I thought the road dog delux was a motorcycle trailer if I'm wrong can you send me a link to the one you are referring to so we can check that one out please thank you for your responses all good helpful info
There may be a real RDD trailer, dunno jus made it up. My point was don't believe a sales person regarding towing.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 06-27-2015, 09:18 PM   #16

10-4 Thanks
Old 06-27-2015, 10:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
There may be a real RDD trailer, dunno jus made it up. My point was don't believe a sales person regarding towing.

I can second the part about the sales person they will tell you what you want to hear! `sure your Durango will pull a 28 footer it has lots of power and the trailer has it`s own brakes`.
I purchased a 29.5HT 5er that I planned to pull with a DC Toyota Tundra 4x4. After I purchased the trailer I joined here and when peeps started talking about payload I found that I would be about 7-800lbs over on my payload. So after a trip to the Ford store and 50k later my problem was solved. But the salesman told me that my truck should handle the trailer no problem!

2015 F350 XLT SRW 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4
Reese Elite 18k
2015 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
Ont Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:05 PM   #18

Good advice my only real problem is temporary as i will be upgrading to a 3/4 ton diesel in the next year or so, now I can tell you that it will not be a Ford but to each his own and that is a whole other topic that will never be settled but as far as buying a 26' to 28' my only concern will be getting it home until I can replace my TV but for now it's kinda a catch 22 wait for the truck or wait for the trailer I do like all the information that has been passed down here and I got informed enough to understand a new dodge will be needed sooner rather than later so I guess my boy will have his first wheels of freedom quicker than he thought we is there any models 26' to 28' that you would recommend that are on the lower price point but functional enough for a family of 4 to not bang and bump into each other
Old 06-27-2015, 11:20 PM   #19

I`m not too familiar with the TT`s I was set on the 5er from the start. I didn`t like the thought of that much weight hanging out behind the bumper and I didn`t want to have to deal with a WDH every time I hook up. I like the weight right over my axle and as most will tell you they pull much better than the TT.
Sorry I`m no help with this question.

2015 F350 XLT SRW 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4
Reese Elite 18k
2015 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
Ont Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Good advice my only real problem is temporary as i will be upgrading to a 3/4 ton diesel in the next year or so, now I can tell you that it will not be a Ford but to each his own and that is a whole other topic that will never be settled but as far as buying a 26' to 28' my only concern will be getting it home until I can replace my TV but for now it's kinda a catch 22 wait for the truck or wait for the trailer
So you will be upgrading to the 3/4 ton in the next year or so - is your intention to use the trailer with the Durango until the new vehicle comes along? If so then I'd say you probably want to size the trailer for the Durango. You will be putting your family into this combination and hitting the open road so you want to be within your limits - not only for your sake but for those around you as you are traveling.

I think get the Durango weighed and post those results back for folks to see what the payload for tongue weight will be. Then there will be some data that can be used to make some suggestions to look at.