Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-17-2023, 02:46 PM   #1

What tire pressure ?

Sorry if this has been discussed many times. But couldn't find it.

Have a new 2023 Jayco 224BHW Baja

Just leaving for first long drive and measured All four tires at 65 psi Cold.

Tire says 80 is max.

Assuming dealer had it at 65 correctly when I bought?

Can I run at 65 no issues?
Jayco224BHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 02:50 PM   #2

Photos

Photos
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8243.jpg   IMG_8242.jpg   IMG_8244.jpg  
Old 11-17-2023, 02:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco224BHW View Post

Tire says 80 is max.

Should be a yellow sticker on the left front with the recommended tire pressures. If not there look inside on the back of a cabinet door.
Old 11-17-2023, 03:39 PM   #4

Oh you mean this one

🤦🏽*♂️

Thank you.

So I need air all around!!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8247.jpg  
Old 11-17-2023, 05:28 PM   #5
CAG

Quote:

Tire says 80 is max.

You couldn't find it? It is only several thousand threads on this site LOL

Some of those threads cover pages.

Try the search feature at the top of the page in the gold bar.

Mine say 80, I air to 80. You are likely at or over max weight. I have never seen or heard of an RV that the owner did not overload so go from there.
2014 Chevy Silverado Duramax LML -Sold
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 07:16 PM   #6

In south Texas we can have some fairly big temp swings in a given day. Iíve aired up my tires to 80 on a chilly morning and seen them rise to almost 90 by early afternoon after several hours on the road and temps increasing by 20 degrees.

I keep this in mind when airing up my tires. If itís summer and already warm Iíll start them at 78. If itís chilly Iíll start at 75. Never had an issue doing it this way and I always run pretty heavy and almost always go more than a hundred miles at a time.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 09:13 PM   #7

If these are factory tires than you cango by the vehicle sticker

or

download the Goodyear tire inflation for your tire and rv use. Then weight the axles and divide by 4 to get actual load while traveling. Then look on chart for inflation.

For example, I upgraded my china bombs for Goodyear Endurance. Max pressure was 65 and it rattled the dishes out of the cabinets. Then got smart and found my load only need 55 PSI based on the Goodyear chart for my tires. Much smoother ride and no change in MPG. Plus Goodyear and others say this will give best tire life and best braking where to much pressure will hurt both ride and tire life.

As above, lots of posts on this with a little searching.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 02:05 AM   #8

Sorry was in a hurry and panicked. Just didn't take time to remove sticker was on the other side of rig.

Yeah I think 70 would be ideal.
Old 12-02-2023, 12:59 PM   #9

Got a C class, new-ish to it. Been going by the labels. But I do find it odd label for rear tires says 80, and the max PSI of the tires that fit this thing is 80. It obviously goes over 80 based on weather or over inflation. People have said there's likely a tolerance. Doesn't seem to be a big deal.

Under-inflating a bit based on weather conditions seems smart, or going by the weights.
Old 12-02-2023, 01:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiom View Post
Got a C class, new-ish to it. Been going by the labels. But I do find it odd label for rear tires says 80, and the max PSI of the tires that fit this thing is 80. It obviously goes over 80 based on weather or over inflation. People have said there's likely a tolerance. Doesn't seem to be a big deal.

Under-inflating a bit based on weather conditions seems smart, or going by the weights.
The tire pressure recommendation is for 80 PSI "COLD", so for example in the early morning prior to driving the RV. The tire pressure will rise some when driving and when the higher temps of the day are reached which is expected. ~CA
Old 12-02-2023, 01:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
The tire pressure recommendation is for 80 PSI "COLD", so for example in the early morning prior to driving the RV. The tire pressure will rise some when driving and when the higher temps of the day are reached which is expected. ~CA
That's what I mean and that's what I do. So say you put 80 PSI cold, and drive and it's hot and they go to 85, 90 as some have said here. That is maxing out the recommended max PSI of the tire, right?
Old 12-02-2023, 02:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiom View Post
That's what I mean and that's what I do. So say you put 80 PSI cold, and drive and it's hot and they go to 85, 90 as some have said here. That is maxing out the recommended max PSI of the tire, right?
I catch what you are saying now. The Maximum Pressure listed is the Maximum "COLD" pressure which should not be exceeded (not the hot pressure as that is always higher and generally not specified).

So for example when you have 80 PSI cold in the tires and then after you have driven on the tires and\or the afternoon is very hot and the pressure is 90, you still have not exceeded the "COLD" maximum of 80 psi. Most all tires state the maximum with the word "COLD" next to the maximum pressure rating (even if not stated, cold is the standard for the max psi). As the tire gets hot the pressure does go up and that is known and accounted for by the tire manufacture's load rating of the tire. To say this differently, if you had a hot tire (hot asphalt, hot temps, driving hard, etc) and the recommended pressure is 80 psi cold, and you lowered the tires pressure to 80psi during the time the tire was not cold, then you would be underinflated.

BTW, on a similar thought, as winter comes your tire's cold pressure could easily drop 5~10 psi vs the pressure in the summertime, even without accounting for the tires gradual and normal loss of pressure. ~CA
Old 12-02-2023, 02:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I catch what you are saying now. The Maximum Pressure listed is the Maximum "COLD" pressure which should not be exceeded (not the hot pressure as that is always higher and generally not specified).

So for example when you have 80 PSI cold in the tires and then after you have driven on the tires and\or the afternoon is very hot and the pressure is 90, you still have not exceeded the "COLD" maximum of 80 psi. Most all tires state the maximum with the word "COLD" next to the maximum pressure rating (even if not stated, cold is the standard for the max psi). As the tire gets hot the pressure does go up and that is known and accounted for by the tire manufacture's load rating of the tire. To say this differently, if you had a hot tire (hot asphalt, hot temps, driving hard, etc) and the recommended pressure is 80 psi cold, and you lowered the tires pressure to 80psi during the time the tire was not cold, then you would be underinflated.

BTW, on a similar thought, as winter comes your tire's cold pressure could easily drop 5~10 psi vs the pressure in the summertime, even without accounting for the tires gradual and normal loss of pressure. ~CA
Thanks, CA. That makes total sense!
Old 12-02-2023, 05:59 PM   #14

Get your vehicle weighed at your normal weight. Water, food, etc .... Or however you like to travel. That will give a figure you can use to compare to the gross vehicle weight. (On sticker)

Then do some math. Figure out how close you are to max weight. (76%? 80%?) Then use that percentage with the tires. Choose the max cold on the tire... Go from there. That will give you the tire pressure you should be running for that weight.

Example: my tires are rated at 65lbs cold. I'm at 82% of Max weight. Doing the math brings me to 53lbs cold for that weight. I run 50lbs without water. 55lbs with.
Simple stuff.
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 02:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Oh you mean this one

🤦🏽*♂️

Thank you.

So I need air all around!!!
On that plate besides the tiresticker, I see GVWR 6000 LBS and 2x GAWR of 3500 lbs.

Tires I searched to be loadindex 115/2680 lbs maxload AT 80 psi upto 99mph (LT).

Trew this trough my made extra safe traveltrailertirepressure calculator and gave for 6000 lbs filled in 43 psi, and if you overload to 7000 is max gawrs fully used so zero on tonge 57 psi.

So if this all is the right info, check that, I can add Jacko to the list in wich Airstream was the only one.
That list of 2 is TT makers that have comfortable reserve in GAWR's to the GVWR, and comfortable reserve in the tires to the GAWR's.

Other brands have marginal or no reserves, so sometimes even need higher pressure then yours 80 psi, to keep the tires at one piece.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 05:09 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoarizona View Post
Get your vehicle weighed at your normal weight. Water, food, etc .... Or however you like to travel. That will give a figure you can use to compare to the gross vehicle weight. (On sticker)

Then do some math. Figure out how close you are to max weight. (76%? 80%?) Then use that percentage with the tires. Choose the max cold on the tire... Go from there. That will give you the tire pressure you should be running for that weight.

Example: my tires are rated at 65lbs cold. I'm at 82% of Max weight. Doing the math brings me to 53lbs cold for that weight. I run 50lbs without water. 55lbs with.
Simple stuff.
Can you give me those weighed loads and GVWR and GAWR's, and maxload of tires.
Then I can check if what I wrote in post before, that Jayco's have all those comfortable reserves in tires and axles to the GVWR.

I I can gather about 5 examples here wich comfirm, we can assume all are.

Mayby only newer, and older still have marginal or no reserves, so also give the year of build.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 08:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Should be a yellow sticker on the left front with the recommended tire pressures. If not there look inside on the back of a cabinet door.
Yes. My '23 Jayflight 263RBS has this sticker and it recommends 65 psi for all 4 tires plus the spare.

This is what I used for our last long trip. No open doors or stuff bouncing around excessively that was properly secured.
Woollymonster is offline   Reply With Quote