Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-19-2015, 05:49 PM   #1

What to do when it rains.. really pours.?????

So our first weekend out it poured. Seriously inches of rain. We are in Central Florida so this is pretty normal this time of year...But with that said, what do you do?
We arrived about 7:30pm Friday night, rain pouring down. I still setup. Rain stopped about 9pm, we took a walk around, short stop at the tiki bar then back.
Saturday morning was great, enjoyed the day but again poured in the afternoon. Our spot was a swamp.

So how do others handle weekends like this? We had a great time getting away but it really sucked that it was so bad.
Chrislorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:01 PM   #2

Napping with rain on the roof is pretty hard to beat.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:14 PM   #3

We went to Trout Pond WV state park Friday and had a wonderful time. It rained really hard that night and all we heard was the wonderful sounds of nature. The canopy did what it was designed and dumped the water and nothing got tore up! The best sleeping weather God ever created!
Old 07-19-2015, 06:32 PM   #4

What is this "rain" you speak of? We are in central California and have not had any real rain in a long time.
notaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by notaz3 View Post
What is this "rain" you speak of? We are in central California and have not had any real rain in a long time.

What are you talking about? I'm in Modesto and I saw rain today...on the news.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:20 PM   #6

Right now there's a rain delay for the Red Sox vs. Angels game on ESPN!

Just sayin'....
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:26 PM   #7

If it is raining hard when we roll in, I just park it "good enough" and sit back and relax inside the HTT. Have dinner a drink, and chill out. When it lets up, then go out and level, unhook, and fully setup.

In general when it is raining, we may read books, nap, talk, play games, etc. If it is not raining hard, we actually go out and walk the trails in the SPs. I figure we have a nice dry place to go back to, that has AC or heat, so I do not mind getting wet.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by notaz3 View Post
It has rained all weekend here in SoCal. Very unusual in July especially!

Btw, our trailer is at dealership getting couple minor fixes. This will be it's first rain!! Need to call them to check inside for leaks. Maybe I should ask them to extend slide if it is still raining in morning?

Sorry, can't help you with question as we haven't camped in rain yet with a trailer anyways but I can tell you it's miserable in a tent!

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:01 PM   #9

If I'm not talking to Tunces I'll give her a big bone and I'll read the night away and listen to that beautiful rain. Maybe clean up a little bit too.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:37 PM   #10

Rain means family time!

Depends on who your travel companions are. But for us rain has always meant some of the best family time you can ask for. By the looks of your trailer you will have a full size kitchen table... Time to dust off the Monopoly and remind the kids why Daddy is King of the World!!! We travel with several board games, a couple decks of cards and a set of poker chips. Years ago we won a little pewter goose as a prize at Bingo. That statue became the family gaming trophy and we routinely compete for bragging rights and ownership of the Griswald Family Trophy.

Set up and tear down are a different issue when the heavens open up... Then I am usually on my own by mutual agreement. I recall one particular arrival at an overnight stop where the rain was so heavy you could swim in it. I backed the TT in as best I could and told the family to hang tight. When next they saw me I was exiting the TT and streaking around in my bathing suit and crocs to get the truck unhitched. I extended the awning so my wife could drive the truck underneath. I dried off, got dressed and climbed back into the truck under cover of the awning and we headed off for Pizza.

My signature notes... Life is a misadventure! Take advantage of the poor weather and make the day your own!

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:27 AM   #11

One of my favorite activities is to put out the awning and grab a seat and watch the rain! This is especially nice at the lake. Since we have a 2.5 year old and a 7 month old now, we bought our new trailer with a slide. For extended wet weather we have room inside to play, draw, lay down and watch a movie as a family, etc.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:16 AM   #12

For now, as I'm usually by myself when I go camping, it all depends on the rain amount and where. Having grown up in Florida and knowing that Central Florida is the lightening capital of the world, I would hang tight inside reading, sketching or napping. If I'm beside a trout stream and it's not raining too hard, you can bet I'm working a fly.....mostly though, I just enjoy the down time. I will admit that one of my best residential designs came out of a rainy weekend that I spent under the awning in my Zero Gravity (?) lounge chair.....which by the way, included several water features...go figure

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:26 AM   #13
Site Team

X2 on sitting under the awning, watching the rain, trying to keep the dog dry. If the wind comes up, go in and watch a dvd, and have an adult style beverage!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:46 AM   #14

We are actually famous for our rain-making abilities. Last time we were out, I told my dad to just get ready for it. He looked at the sky, looked at his weather report, and said "nah, it's not going to rain". While he was out setting a trot-line, guess what? It rained. He was warned!

Anyway, since it always rains on us, we've become accustomed to playing board games, card games, watching TV, movies, napping, "bonus" napping sitting out under the awning, going for walks. Pretty much as long as it's not flooding, we're basically doing what we do. I too am on my own if it's raining during setup/break-down. Two times ago, it rained the entire time I was breaking camp; I was absolutely drenched, didn't care one bit, I'm used to it. Went back into the camper and put on some dry clothes just before hitting the road, that's when the sun came out and it became a beautiful day. Figures.

The only time we had somewhat of a bad time was back in January (IIRC). We went to the beach and got a VERY wet cold front. It basically rained the entire time, temps in the upper 30's, lots of wind; generally not a fun day at the beach. On top of all that, it was a 3-night trip which we don't do often. The furnace and space heater ran A LOT, there was lots of condensation in the trailer that I couldn't vent fast enough, so we had to wipe down the windows every couple hours. We still went for a few walks, me in my duck hunting clothes, her and the baby in all their jackets. We still had fun, but it was our worst trip weather-wise. Cold AND wet are hard, one or the other is easy.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
That's the first thing I did
Old 07-20-2015, 08:30 AM   #16

Not sure if the OP was asking for suggestions to pass the time while it's raining, or what to do to the camper and the site to handle the rain. Since everyone has handled the first case, I'll offer suggestions for the second.

- If it's just rain and no wind, extend your awning and be sure to drop one side so that the water will drain rather than pool.
- Check your site, see where the water is flowing, and make sure it has a place to drain. Drain points are often clogged by leaves or pine straw, clear as needed.
- If the path the water takes is not favorable to your desired set up, either change your set up, or use gravel, rocks, wood, etc. to change the water's path.
- If after your best efforts the site does not handle water well, consider adding it to your "Sites I'll never use again" list.
- If your camper is a pop-up or hybrid, be sure that nothing is against the inside of the canvas. If there is the water may find its way inside your camper.
- If you have one, set up a canopy adjacent to the awning so that you can spend more time outside without getting wet.
- Find the nearest laundromat in case the rain never lets up. Then you can wash and dry your clothes instead of packing them up wet.
- Check your wheel chocks regularly to make sure that they haven't been displaced by the runoff.

These are just a few suggestions, I'm sure others will have many more helpful suggestions as well.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:43 AM   #17

All good points and thanks I was looking for both. I left the Wife in the TV, and I setup best I could. Lightning is a major issue in Central Florida, honestly it never bothered me up north and I was out in it all the time, here dragging a 50amp cable to the box is not a easy feeling in a downpour w/lightning. The canopy worked great and surprised us on the first water dump, after that I tilted one side and let it drain. The biggest bummer was that after two day the site was water logged so sitting outside was not even fun.
We cooked, eat, drank a few adult beverages, talked, and walked in between showers. It was still better then being home doing my list of projects.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:14 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
Right on !