Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-14-2021, 07:34 PM   #1

What would you do?

Just wanted to run something by everyone in the forum.

We’ve been RVing for 6 years, we’re “upgraders” you might say. We are on our 3 rd RV, a 2019 Jayco Redhawk 25R, class C. We love it! Many many upgrades have been done, very little issues since we purchased it new in 2018

We Are both retired, and Just became snowbirds, We have been RVing every other month and travel from Fl, to our summer home in NE PA 2 times a year, hence the snowbird aspect that we are now able to do.

Now that the RV market is insanely a seller market, we found out or RV is worth quite a bit more then we paid.
We are contemplating selling now, and sidelining for a year in our PA house until the market cools off then buy new or used. ,(I want a super C). We will make money on the RV after we pay it off and save the cost of having to stay in a Florida RV park for 6 months this winter.

I know this is a decision we need to make for our selves, but I’m polling around to like minded people, such as y’all , and consider your thoughts.

Thanks,
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:38 PM   #2

When all of the newbies give up and covid stuff ends I bet pennies on the dollar !
Old 08-14-2021, 07:42 PM   #3
Site Team

I would not let the overly inflated market right now urge you to sell a perfectly good functional RV. Unless you don't plan to RV again, you have no idea how long it will take until things get back to normal and you can find your next unit. That year you mentioned may turn in to two...three....four.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I would not let the overly inflated market right now urge you to sell a perfectly good functional RV. Unless you don't plan to RV again, you have no idea how long it will take until things get back to normal and you can find your next unit. That year you mentioned may turn in to two...three....four.
Thanks Midnightmoon. I’ve thought about this also. We can wait out this craziness if necessary. I’ve never seen the market like this. These things usually depreciate and never go up in value. I’m pretty sure we’re witnessing history in the making in this industry!
Old 08-14-2021, 07:50 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
Thanks Midnightmoon. I’ve thought about this also. We can wait out this craziness if necessary. I’ve never seen the market like this. These things usually depreciate and never go up in value. I’m pretty sure we’re witnessing history in the making in this industry!
I agree. I never thought that we would witness this.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 08:16 PM   #6

I was tempted to sell my 2016 28BHBE as we were offered stupid money for it on a trade but in reality it is probably the best RV we have ever had. We've had virtually no problems with it and I've done quite a bit of upgrading and personalization to it. We (me) my DW wants to sell it and go bigger resisted the temptation and I am glad we did...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 08:23 PM   #7

I know that we was thinking about trading in our for a Solitude 310GK some months ago and that dealer was crazy, we try it again and after talking to the dealer they was going to give us about $12,000 to $15,000 more for our, but I just couldn't get the DW to bite.

So we are going to make good with what we have for now, I like the one we have now but I do like the wide body in the Solitude.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 09:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I was tempted to sell my 2016 28BHBE as we were offered stupid money for it on a trade but in reality it is probably the best RV we have ever had. We've had virtually no problems with it and I've done quite a bit of upgrading and personalization to it. We (me) my DW wants to sell it and go bigger resisted the temptation and I am glad we did...
I have a 2016 28BHBE as well. had virtually no issues with it. Maybe it is the last year they made the RV's with so few issues.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 09:50 PM   #9

My trailer is now 4 years old and I could sell it tomorrow for at least 10k more than I paid. My 8 year old house built new in 2013 has more than doubled in value, and my 14 year old truck is becoming more valuable with each passing day.

That being said we have no intention of selling anything because we are now comfortable with our lifestyle and there are some things more important than money.

Trying to predict the future, especially when it comes to economic trends, is always a crap shoot. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence…..until the weeds come up.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 10:02 PM   #10

I agree with midnightmoon. No one knows what the future brings. You have an RV you love...keep it and enjoy it.

Jay Flight SLX 7 145RB
scloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 05:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
My trailer is now 4 years old and I could sell it tomorrow for at least 10k more than I paid. My 8 year old house built new in 2013 has more than doubled in value, and my 14 year old truck is becoming more valuable with each passing day.

That being said we have no intention of selling anything because we are now comfortable with our lifestyle and there are some things more important than money.

Trying to predict the future, especially when it comes to economic trends, is always a crap shoot. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence…..until the weeds come up.
[emoji106]
Old 08-15-2021, 07:27 AM   #12
Site Team

We discussed this very scenario this morning on a dog walk.

I have a neighbor with a high $$$ class a that sold for in the 800k range when new in 06. He purchased it for under 300k several years back and now has it listed for over $450k. He is hoping to move it in less than a month.

My cousin sold her used tt on craigslist a couple months ago for several thousand more than she paid for it a couple years ago and it was bought used by her. She said if she had 6 more of them she could have sold them all. People were outbidding each other for it.

My 2011 model is really in pristine shape and I am sure in the current market we could sell it for much more privately than it lists for. At my age, I am sure that my camping days are limited so we are confident enough in the decision to keep it that we invested in a newer tow vehicle last year.

I am glad not to have to second guess this decision anymore!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 08:34 AM   #13

FWIW, my 17 Northpoint 375BHFS, you couldnt pry from my cold, dead, lifeless hands right now. I dont give a flying leap how much you'd give me for it.
It's been a great unit. We've thought about upgrade/downgrade/floorplan change,... nope. No way. The new units out there really dont blow our dress up and they way they are slamming these new ones together,... nope. I've been thru some of the new ones and maybe I'm just a bit to anal/ocd, but (IMO) the quality and workmanship just ain't there, not like the older units anyway.
Old 08-15-2021, 09:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
FWIW, my 17 Northpoint 375BHFS, you couldnt pry from my cold, dead, lifeless hands right now. I dont give a flying leap how much you'd give me for it.
It's been a great unit. We've thought about upgrade/downgrade/floorplan change,... nope. No way. The new units out there really dont blow our dress up and they way they are slamming these new ones together,... nope. I've been thru some of the new ones and maybe I'm just a bit to anal/ocd, but (IMO) the quality and workmanship just ain't there, not like the older units anyway.
I hear ya! I was thinking of possibly buying used when the time came.
Old 08-15-2021, 09:45 AM   #15

same boat

We woke up in Las Vegas this morning. Tomorrow, we'll be at the Grand Canyon. We hear about trucks and trailers like ours selling for more than we paid for them, and it's tempting. But we've only been doing this for 2.5 years. We've towed about 20,000 miles and camped in 26 states. We're having a blast. We have camping reservations lined up for this winter and even some for next summer. We're in our late 60's, and if we sold our rig now, there's no telling what might pop up to stop us from getting back in the game.
So- it's tempting, but if we sold, we would need to buy something immediately, at a high price, so no- not now.
Old 08-15-2021, 02:06 PM   #16

Still tempted to list my rig. I could throw a price ot there and see what happens. The demand and prices this high won’t last, lumber is already coming down.

Whatever I do, I want to come back to this post in a year, revisit the topic, and say “should’ve, could’ve, would’ve, or I'm sure glad I did”! Lol! My only regret would be buying a headache!

I’m still taking comments and thought everyone!
Old 08-15-2021, 02:26 PM   #17

Not a motorhome but pick up prices increase stupidly, too! I bought my 2017 F150 with 8600 miles on it in March this year for a price in the mid 30K. This thread made me wonder what it is worth now, 5 months later with 10,800 miles.

NADA states $43,700! Yikes!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 02:33 PM   #18
Site Team

Just my opinion, but we're keeping our 2012 Jay Flight...for a VERY long time. It doesn't have a slide or a ton of electric features, and was the smallest Jay Flight available that year. Now the Jay Flight series all have slides, the smallest is just a tad too long to fit where we keep ours.

With new sneakers, awning fabric, wet bolts, and no issues, it's staying put.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 03:20 PM   #19
Site Team

I bought a 2017 F350 psd a year ago and it's worth more now than I paid for it.
I'm keeping it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 07:21 PM   #20

We would like to upgrade our Jayco but the COVID trailers seem to have to many problems and high cost. We are going to wait. When the new people run into the trouble times with the rv lifestyle. We started at the age of 18 years old married and off to California from Pennsylvania with a road map
. We have run into some bad days now we laugh about it. I doubt the new generation will be able to handle it. You will see an RV Used market flooded with COVID built trailers that we will avoid.
Camping has changed. People were more friendly and always ready to help someone in trouble. Campfire were a time to meet strangers. Pot luck dinners were fun. I guess we lived in the best of times.
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote