Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-23-2019, 05:11 PM   #1

What's wrong with this picture?

We have a Jayco 2018 29MVP. When we run the A/C the water runs off the roof and to the gutter. Then it makes a brown line down the side of the RV (see the red arrow). The only thing I could think of was to use a rope to keep the water off the side. It seems to be working but what do other people do about this? Is the rope idea dumb? TIA
Attached Thumbnails
rope on RV.jpg  
shewren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shewren View Post
We have a Jayco 2018 29MVP. When we run the A/C the water runs off the roof and to the gutter. Then it makes a brown line down the side of the RV (see the red arrow). The only thing I could think of was to use a rope to keep the water off the side. It seems to be working but what do other people do about this? Is the rope idea dumb? TIA
It appears your gutter is missing a 45 degree extension that for the most part deflects it from the side of the coach.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:28 PM   #3
Site Team

They are like these. https://www.google.com/search?q=rv+g...0NKUypTOIT2xM:

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:11 AM   #4

Here’s what the extension looks like on the gutter. Make sure you put piece of Bytle tape behind the gutter extensions then drill through it. The picture flipped but you get the idea. A buddy had extensive water damage on that side.

Kohree Butyl Seal Tape RV Putty Rubber Sealant Tape White, 1/8-Inch x 3/4-Inch x 30-Foot, Leak Proof Butal Tape for RV Repair, Window, Boat Sealing, Glass and EDPM Rubber Roof Patching https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V366FCM..._swHIDbHT0N1SK
Attached Thumbnails
4BB7D8EF-3604-4DCF-BBA0-8583279ACEEA.jpg  
Old 09-24-2019, 08:53 AM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
It seems to be working but what do other people do about this? Is the rope idea dumb? TIA
I had the similar issue, plus that water ran off right at the cab entry doors, so you got wet getting in and out of the cab.

So, I bought gutter extensions that stick on and extended the gutters off of the front of the cab.... problem solved...
Attached Thumbnails
raingutter.jpg  
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Is the rope idea dumb? TIA
For sure
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:05 PM   #7

I put gutter extensions on the front of mine. The plastic 45 degree ones. Still can't figure out why my Jay Flight came with them from Jayco, but my Greyhawk at more than 3x the cost didn't...

Anyway, you'll want to check your gutter for debris as well. That brown stain is rust. I was dreading going up there because I knew I was going to find a leak around a screw. Turned out there was just a loose screw in my gutter. Got dropped in there in production, and stayed there, during heavy rains and 8,000 miles of travel, until I climbed up the ladder to install the gutter extension and saw it sitting there! I breathed a sigh of relief and then rolled my eyes...

In hindsight, I kind of wish I had installed the adhesive ones. I still have to dodge a stream of water when I'm getting in/out of my rig, but it doesn't dribble down the side and leave a streak any more.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:58 PM   #8

Back in the day, I used to clip a clothespin on the gutter. Now they have the extensions that you’re reading about. But in a pinch the clothespin trick works fine.
K Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:13 PM   #9

Quote:
They make a small spout that attaches to your gutter drain that will bring the water out about 2 inches before it pours out...that helped our rig.
W Kearney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:39 PM   #10

I have a 28rls and the guttering woks just fine but it throws the water out over the storage doors. So when I am setting up or tearing down... my head gets wet.
Minor inconvenience.
Charlie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:51 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie G View Post

I have a 28rls and the guttering woks just fine but it throws the water out over the storage doors. So when I am setting up or tearing down... my head gets wet.
Minor inconvenience.
Our TT did that, too, dripping on the right front storage compartment door. I found it I put the TT just a touch high in the front, it went to the back. It really didn't take much of a lift.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:59 PM   #12

Charlie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:51 PM   #13

I have the extensions and the tape just waiting on a good time to climb on a ladder to install them on my Alante.
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:30 PM   #14

Many great replies. And make sure your rig is also level in both directions as well
Old 10-09-2019, 05:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by berwin View Post
I have the extensions and the tape just waiting on a good time to climb on a ladder to install them on my Alante.
Good luck on drivers side. Ours was installed upside down. Jayco said they did it that way on purpose. If installed correctly slide covers would drain back to RV. Go figure
KenAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:44 PM   #16

Mine was clogged with leaves and gunk
Have to constantly clean them out .
Jeff chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:01 PM   #17

Here is what I do when I set up. Works great, and if the drip is in my cmp walkway or on dirt I put a bucket there and dump it once in a while, or let the dogs drink from it.

Yes it requires getting up on the roof but I do that anyway to inspect each time I set up and to clear sticks and debris before pulling the slides back in. I use these on all 4 corners.

It also keeps the water streaks from staining the sidewall.

So easy a caveman could do it, under the direct supervision of his camping cave wife. ( :

JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:35 AM   #18

The water from our AC pools on the awning when it’s out. We have to dump the awning twice a day and keep it pulled in at night. 2018 Alante 26x haven’t figured out a fix yet so if anyone has one please let us know.
D & Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:32 AM   #19

My 2015 Whitehawk came with gutter extensions installed and appear stronger than the after market brands. Could be a factory error.
rhouthoofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by D & Scott View Post
The water from our AC pools on the awning when it’s out. We have to dump the awning twice a day and keep it pulled in at night. 2018 Alante 26x haven’t figured out a fix yet so if anyone has one please let us know.
I run my awning tilted down as far as I can get it with a grade to the rear. IIRC the instructions say that you can roll it up with a maximum of 2x difference between front and rear.

So I tilted my awning down as far as I could, then moved the front bar up 2 "holes" to give it a grade toward the rear. Awning doesn't collect water at all.

Still have to roll it in when it's windy though... And I've learned not to leave it out at night anyway.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote