Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-15-2015, 08:28 PM   #1

What's your favorite campground in the Sierra Nevadas?

We like to camp at Fallen Leaf lake and Stampede Reservoir. Both are dry camping sites with water only. Anybody have any other recommendations either full/partial hookups or dry?
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:06 PM   #2

We camp quite a bit south of that. We like Huntington and Shaver Lake areas. We are particularly fond of Camp Edison at Shaver and Rancheria at Huntington.

Fallen Leaf is off Hwy 88 right, I have driven past it several times I always thought it was beautiful part of the Sierra. In you opinion could I get my 29QBH (33') in those CG? Would love to spend a couple days there next spring.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
We camp quite a bit south of that. We like Huntington and Shaver Lake areas. We are particularly fond of Camp Edison at Shaver and Rancheria at Huntington.

Fallen Leaf is off Hwy 88 right, I have driven past it several times I always thought it was beautiful part of the Sierra. In you opinion could I get my 29QBH (33') in those CG? Would love to spend a couple days there next spring.
Actually, Fallen Leaf is off of Hwy 89. You can get your trailer in there but I would recommend a site on the outer ring, they are larger and some are pull through sites. I've pulled my old trailer (26') into the center aisles but it's tight.

I've heard good things about Shaver lake but never been there. I'll check it out, thanks!
Old 12-16-2015, 01:05 PM   #4

Wow!!

We've had many favorites over the years including Frenchman's Lake, Davis Lake,Burney Falls, Little Bear, Lake Tahoe area, Topaz Lake, Hat Creek....and the list goes on and on.

If we had to name a favorite it would be Merrill CG on Eagle Lake just North of Susanville, CA.

The U.S. Forest Service oversees four developed camping areas around Eagle Lake: the Eagle, Christie, Aspen and Merrill campgrounds. Each fee-based camping area has different amenities and advantages. Campers have a choice of staying near the Eagle Lake boat ramp, hiking into a in a forested tents-only camping area or enjoying utilities with other RVers at an RV-friendly campground that also has a sanitary dump station. The Eagle Lake Recreation Trail connects each camping area with a paved multi-use trail for bikers and hikers.

The south shore of Eagle Lake, and Merrill Campground, is approximately 16 miles north of Susanville and 105 miles north of Reno, NV.

Eagle Lake is located at the juncture of four major geologic provinces. To the west and south is the Sierra Nevadas, a giant mountain range formed by tectonic uplifting along the edge of the continental plate. To the west and north are the Cascade Mountains, which run through California, Oregon, and Washington, and up into Canada. This mountain range is volcanic in origin, but is also a result of a clash between the Pacific and continental plates. Eagle Lake is located within the Great Basin and the semi-arid lands to it’s east are known as the Modoc Plateau. Long ago the area was inhabited by many different groups of Native Americans, including the Hat Creek, Mountain Maidu, Valley Maidu, Paiute, and Pit River, all of whom hunted and fished at Eagle Lake.

Eagle Lake was created by the melting of glaciers during the last ice age and is the second largest natural lake in California. It covers more than 22,000 acres and has over 100 miles of shoreline. The lake sits in a closed drainage basin with no outlet and only limited surface water flowing into it.

Merrill is the largest campground on Eagle Lake with 173 sites and is only two miles from the Marina and Gallatin Beach. It was renovated in 2005 and now offers full and partial hook-ups, grey water dump areas and longer, wider parking spurs. We can accommodate anyone’s needs. The new sites will hold the largest of RV’s to tents and everything in between. This is a great family campground with easy access to the rest of Eagle Lake Recreation Area via the paved hiking and biking trail.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:48 AM   #5

Larry that looks like a nice place. Spacious with a lot of trees and right near the lake. I will check it out thanks!
Old 12-18-2015, 10:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukeneck View Post
Larry that looks like a nice place. Spacious with a lot of trees and right near the lake. I will check it out thanks!
Here are a couple more trips up there to look at;

June 2012

July 2012

Safe travels wherever you travel.

Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Old 12-18-2015, 10:39 AM   #7

Just booked for July, it was the last space available. Must be a popular place. Looking forward to it. I heard the lake has good fishing as well. Thanks for the referral
Old 12-19-2015, 09:40 PM   #8

Snowflower

We love the Snowflower Resort (it's a campground) off I-80 at Emigrant Gap in California. It is just a short trip from Reno (our home) and has power and water hook ups. Free dump stations are available too. It is a Thousand Trails park and is well maintained with a wonderful lake.

We have some photo's and a trip report on our blog... The Tucker Timeshere

Small World, I just realized I follow Larry and Betty's blog. Hi you two!
dandbtucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandbtucker View Post
We love the Snowflower Resort (it's a campground) off I-80 at Emigrant Gap in California. It is just a short trip from Reno (our home) and has power and water hook ups. Free dump stations are available too. It is a Thousand Trails park and is well maintained with a wonderful lake.

We have some photo's and a trip report on our blog... The Tucker Timeshere

Small World, I just realized I follow Larry and Betty's blog. Hi you two!

Hi the Tuckers!!

Will check out your Blog.

View photos

Our Trip Journal
Old 12-22-2015, 12:56 PM   #10

East Fork Rock Creek

We've camped at East Fork Rock Creek campground for the last two summers and really liked it. It's between Bishop and Mammoth off of 395.
jerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 08:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog View Post
We've camped at East Fork Rock Creek campground for the last two summers and really liked it. It's between Bishop and Mammoth off of 395.
East Fork looks like an amazing spot!

On another note has anyone here used Campsite Photos, Camping Pictures, and Campground Reviews - campsitephotos.com to look at camp places?

For those that don't know what it is, its a photo catalogued site of almost any campground you can imagine. They photograph each site # so you can look at the site before you go. Anyways, I use it all the time and East Fork as well as the other mentioned campgrounds in this thread are all on their site...
mtedelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:02 AM   #12

That's a pretty cool website. Thanks for the link.
coachtcardoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtedelen View Post

For those that don't know what it is, its a photo catalogued site of almost any campground you can imagine. They photograph each site # so you can look at the site before you go.
I've seen this before, and it's a long ways from being useful for many parts of the country. Only 3 of the public CGs in WI are listed. WI has at least 43 state parks with CGs, not counting the many state forest CGs and county CGs. There's also several COEs and some national forest CGs.

It's a cool idea though. What they need is a Google street view type thing to get their site up to snuff!
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 12:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I've seen this before, and it's a long ways from being useful for many parts of the country. Only 3 of the public CGs in WI are listed. WI has at least 43 state parks with CGs, not counting the many state forest CGs and county CGs. There's also several COEs and some national forest CGs.

It's a cool idea though. What they need is a Google street view type thing to get their site up to snuff!
Haven't used it really for anything east of Colorado so you're probably right, but it sure is a great idea. We're in Reno, NV and it appears to cover most parks in the western US. it seems like they're adding more parks on a regular basis so hopefully they add some more from your neck of the woods. Street view for parks would be awesome!!!!
Old 12-24-2015, 12:18 PM   #15

Looks like people can post here about feature requests. Maybe if enough people do it, it could happen!!

https://productforums.google.com/for...re-suggestions
Old 12-24-2015, 09:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukeneck View Post
Actually, Fallen Leaf is off of Hwy 89. You can get your trailer in there but I would recommend a site on the outer ring, they are larger and some are pull through sites. I've pulled my old trailer (26') into the center aisles but it's tight.

I've heard good things about Shaver lake but never been there. I'll check it out, thanks!

Man that is an awesome camp ground, I might have to put this on my list to go.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:40 AM   #17

Whoever is the webmaster of the link you provided should be fired. I tried to navigate and after about the third photo, I gave up. The next arrow kept moving out of screen and I have to scroll every time to change the page.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 11:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
Whoever is the webmaster of the link you provided should be fired. I tried to navigate and after about the third photo, I gave up. The next arrow kept moving out of screen and I have to scroll every time to change the page.
Works fine for me.

View photos

Our Trip Journal