Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-12-2018, 09:28 PM   #1

When the bottom fell out!!

Hi all,

We had just signed for our 2017 339FLQS a week ago and are waiting to pick up mid May. (when the snow melts)
Early apologies for a long rant but holy cow!!

We went to dealership to measure up a few things (draws, closets and new mattress) since it was inside getting Maxair vents installed and the springs dropped into the lower shackle holes..

Well...that's when the bottom fell out.

I noticed that the bedroom slide (extended) had a nasty bow in the outer wall. The top and bottom corners at the back of that slide were sticking out giving it a twisted concave look. Our heart sank...

We addressed it with the salesman and he was somewhat trying to minimize the issue until I was persistent enough that he started to realise I wasn't going to be a pushover. Then the service manager tried to blow it off and wanted to try to push and bend it back into shape.

These things are built tough..vacuum laminated wall and aluminum frame..come on, you don't just push to bend these things back. If you did I wouldn't want to own it.

About this time I was really wishing we hadn't already given them our money.
We all decide to buy big money products taking into account both build quality and after-service. Fail and fail on those things for Jayco and dealer at this point.

I understand that defects happen and would have been quite content had they agreed that there was a structural issue and offered options. (other than trying to force it back into shape jeesh..still can't get over that)
Instead I had to stand firm until finally our salesman (very nice fella actually) started to side more and more with us. The service manager...not so much...very snotty as if he was talking to someone who has absolutely no idea about construction and finally stomped away when our salesman said they would find us a replacement or do whatever it takes to make things right. (Dealer gets points back) (Service.. not so much)

I researched what I thought was adequately and heard from others about the great product that Jayco has but am sure starting to wonder now. After realising that Thor took over I think there may be some erosion of build quality as that is know to happen in buyouts in any industry. Workers don't have that original ownership in the company they have built.
Other small indicators that we saw during our inspection before buying and were told that it happens lots and it will all be fixed are trim that was laying on the floor and other trim popped in various places, door that didn't close right. These are small things but in reality would we buy a new truck that has the headliner hanging or the box installed crooked? (NOPE).

I apologize again for the long rant but my god...why has mass production taken the place of quality construction..they ensure all the main parts are in order (walls, frame, great roof) and then push their workers to the limits to get it all assembled. Have you ever watched their plant videos where the guys are literally running as they put these things together...jeesh!!

In the end, the dealer is looking for another unit for us with the same furniture color trying to make this right. It does although look like I will have to take it to another dealer for any warranty work in the future.

On a side note..Our TV is using a bit of antifreeze as well and the dealer today wants to wait it out a bit longer to verify where its going

And how was your day??
Watsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:02 AM   #2

Sorry to hear about your situation, but thank you for sharing.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:42 AM   #3

I think this is probably every new owners nightmare and I'm sorry that you have to deal with it. I would suggest you get Jayco involved directly. My experience so far is that they will helpful and can even push the dealer service or sales to fix the issue properly (if it is fixable) to your satisfaction.

I would also say from my experience reading the Ford Truck Enthusiasts forum that yes, many Ford trucks (including $100,000 Platinum F350 duallies) frequently get delivered to dealers with all sorts of ridiculous problems. One of the common ones I read about...box installed off center. My opinion is that many manufacturers in the US are more worried about meeting quotas and the workers have no incentive to put out a quality product.
morleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:11 AM   #4

Be thankful you caught the defects before pulling the unit off the lot. I'm sure you'll be really checking everything when you do. As for the Jayco/Thor theories, I haven't come to conclusion with that yet. Hopefully all will work out positive.

2014 Ram Dually 6.7 Diesel
2016 North Point 375BHFS
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by morleyz View Post
I think this is probably every new owners nightmare and I'm sorry that you have to deal with it. I would suggest you get Jayco involved directly. My experience so far is that they will helpful and can even push the dealer service or sales to fix the issue properly (if it is fixable) to your satisfaction.

I would also say from my experience reading the Ford Truck Enthusiasts forum that yes, many Ford trucks (including $100,000 Platinum F350 duallies) frequently get delivered to dealers with all sorts of ridiculous problems. One of the common ones I read about...box installed off center. My opinion is that many manufacturers in the US are more worried about meeting quotas and the workers have no incentive to put out a quality product.
The dealer has stepped up and offered to switch trailers. Awesome on them.
This although isn't our best option as they don't have another with the cashmere interior which my bride liked the best.
They say there are no other ones in their system of dealers that they can substitute so looks like we are 'stuck' with a different interior.
Not real happy about that but what do you do..The slide is not repairable unless they swap out slides. I don't trust the service manager to do that competently so looks like we are stuck!
Sending back to the factory for repair is an option but would assume it would be months before return which kicks the crap out of our 4 month camping season.
Cheers
Old 03-14-2018, 07:59 AM   #6

Since the unit is faulty and you never took delivery, you should be able to cancel the deal, get your money back. The deal is broken since the dealer could not deliver your unit in acceptable condition. The dealer is trying to save the deal. They should cut you a better break since this isn't the same setup as you originally agreed to. The interior is something you will be having to live with for a very long time.

If the wife isn't happy, then no one is happy.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifallsguy View Post
Since the unit is faulty and you never took delivery, you should be able to cancel the deal, get your money back. The deal is broken since the dealer could not deliver your unit in acceptable condition. The dealer is trying to save the deal. They should cut you a better break since this isn't the same setup as you originally agreed to. The interior is something you will be having to live with for a very long time.

If the wife isn't happy, then no one is happy.
You do have a point here. I will be pushing to get a discount due to the inability to supply what we originally bought. Great idea and so valid!

They offered to swap out furniture but not sure if I want them to uproot the furniture and transplant it into the other one..I can see more issues popping up with that exercise.
I assume that both the jack-knife and tri-fold couches come apart enough to get them out the doors? Anyone??

I am somewhat scared that if we want our money back they will say they will do the furniture swap instead or send it to the factory for repair. Either option is not in our best interest. Camping season is just only 6-8 weeks away...Dang...

Any other advise or experiences that others have are welcome..

Thanks for the input.

Cheers
Old 03-14-2018, 05:45 PM   #8

Your call, sorry you have to endure this but glad you spotted it.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:57 PM   #9

Hi all, would like to offer an update.

As with most things in life, good things come to those that wait it out. In our case we are (once again) the happy owners of a (different) 339FLQS and now just waiting out the snow.

The dealer supplied one with different furniture (that is quite ok with us) and a discount for troubles to boot.

I think the driving force for my initial rant was 2 fold, first the surprise that this wagon even made it out of the factory and secondly the service managers attitude when I denied him the chance to 'bend' it back into shape.

That's all water under the bridge.
Now we will see how the unit is handed over to us.
I had to stand my ground insisting that I wanted hooked to city water so we could test all systems.
Didn't seem to be their common way of doing a handover but maybe I can show them the benefits of going the extra mile.

Based on how this is handled we will decide if we will give the service department a chance to gain credibility back when any warranty work comes up but will be watching like a hawk.

Thanks to all for the input.

Cheers