Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2014, 08:07 PM   #1

When travelling, do you book RV parks ahead of time; or wing it?

We are looking at a six week trip this summer. Frankly, we don't quite know where we are going yet, but likely it will be partly through the states and partly Canada. (west coast or border states in western Canada)

I am curious if people generally just go with the flow and find a rv park along the way when they travel, or if they book them in advance. I don't think we would stay anywhere more than a couple of nights at a time.
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:17 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Most of the time I wing it, unless it's an extended stay destination.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:25 PM   #3

We found out this past August that State Parks in OR and WA book up very early in the summer season. Especially those along the coast. We wound up having to stay in a few commercial (rack 'em & stack 'em) CGs as a result. We also lucked out by going early am to some SPs where the online system showed they were booked, but found spots when someone didn't show and/or left early. My advice would be to plan your route early and make some reservations at the parks you want to stay at. IF you change your mind, you usually can cancel w/o penalty if you do it early enough. And, if you're torn about what to do, let the reservation stand JUST in case you make it. IF you cancel last moment you'll lose your fee anyway, and if you wind up making your way there you'll have to take what is available, IF anything is open. Sounds like you have a great run planned, hope it goes well!

And, welcome to the JOF, you should find it a wealth of information, and sometimes, amusement.

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab, long box, Duramax and 3.73, SRW
Equal-i-zer 1k WDH, 2013 White Hawk 27DSRL

Los Madrones, a little slice of Texas hill country heaven
www.losmadrones.com
mikmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:26 PM   #4

I have never did this, but would love to. My vote would be to wing it, no stress of "I have to go 500 miles today or else". Never know if you will hit traffic, not feel like driving, site see along the way, etc.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:28 PM   #5

We always have reservations wherever we go. Try to set up the trip for around 300-350 miles per day.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:43 PM   #6

We usually book ahead depending on the time of year or holiday weekends. It saves a lot of stress at the end of the day. We have arrived in areas where there is a local event or concert and all the camp grounds are full. We are heading west across Canada for 8 weeks and all the reservations are made. Some campgrounds have first come first serve for 30 amp services ( we avoided them opting for certainty). We were able to reserve sea side spots and with the use of Google satellite or street view we made choices as to where and which campground we wanted to stay at. Sure that creates a schedule so we plan for time, daily travel and sites. We don't feel rushed but we know we have a spot to land.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:41 PM   #7

If you plan to come to Alberta I would say to book your stay. Campground book up fast and full. There are first come sites but they seem to be full all the time too. We have a web site too, so you can always check for no shows like DMRGMC said. We like to play it safe and always book ahead, but we always know where we are going.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:29 PM   #8

I try to book ahead. I found that "booking" procedures vary widely. Some want prepayment of the full amount some partial .....sometimes someone can forget to close the deal...

I have found it most helpful to have my reservations and directions secure in a 3-ring binder for easy reference.
Tommyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcany View Post
We always have reservations wherever we go. Try to set up the trip for around 300-350 miles per day.
X2
This year it might be a good idea to book ahead on the west coast. We're finding with the California drought many campers are heading north. Tried to book in Jan. for April-May at a few of our favorite sites and they were already booked so you might think twice about winging it at some locations.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:06 AM   #10

We always book ahead, and plan on no more than 300 miles a day. That way we don't have to keep on going if a park turns out to be full. This was especially good when we had a limited time away from home and job, and didn't have to re-route because a desired park was full, which might have caused a change in visiting plans for points of interest on our 3,000 mile round trip.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:45 AM   #11

Since our destination is usually a specific location and we normally stay a week or two before moving on to the next location we make reservations.

Also it may be the busy season so reservations are needed or may be a local event going on that fills up CGs.

The most difficult part for us fulltimers is during the busy summer season with the weekends filling up at many CGs.

Also traveling in the south during the winter, many parks fill up with Snowbirds.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:53 AM   #12

We'll be going over 6,000 miles in 2 months with only 3 days travel over 300 and most under 200 miles. If we're staying 3 days or more I'm booking the sites as well as parks near popular attractions like Rushmore or Zion. In between I have parks picked out but don't plan on booking reservations ahead of time so we can 'wing it' as much as possible.

Our route is planned but not set on how much time in one place unless it is special like at my sons. I also never plan to travel every day so there can be changes without affecting the reservations. They are like bookends but the middle is flexible. The only exception to this is near big cities or on weekends where we usually try to have reservations.

Try to be flexible, leave room for changes, and have fun.

Dale

Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log
dalenoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:07 AM   #13

Usually we book ahead, especially if we are going to a major event. Sometimes, we wing it on the way to an event, but have ended up staying in a Flying J because there weren't any campgrounds available.
Bird Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:45 AM   #14

We book ahead my wife needs to know we have a place to stay. Also if we want power we book ahead

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:59 AM   #15
Site Team

We book ahead for destinations and call ahead when on the road.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:14 PM   #16

I always book ahead cuz, I not only like to know the town I am going to stay in, but also which campground. I use campgroundreviews.com to see which ones have the decent reviews. Last year I made reservations in Gallup, NM for one night. While checking in, another guy came in looking for a site and was turned away because they were full...IN GALLUP! That would be the last thing I want to hear after driving all day

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:26 PM   #17

I can see the benefit on both sides, however due to my size and preferred CG's amenities I book well ahead. Even if one night, knowing that I have a reserved site with my choices is a comfort. If for some reason I were to loose one night not making a destined stopover I would not be upset. The weeks I always book well in advance to have preferred locations and sites. Some here on the EC are 12 months to the day if you get real close to the shore and it's a popular CG. I have mine spaced out with 350 on one day followed by 200 or less on the second for the real long hauls. If 3 days then the longer in the middle.

Two back to back 8-7 hr hauls can be tough on you and your family and take the fun out of it. 4-6 with stops, is our sweet spot currently.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:35 PM   #18

We get reservations for extended stay but on the road just wing it. I don't mind hitting a Walmart for a quick stop if there is nothing good nearby. I like driving till I'm ready to stop for the night or weather conditions.

DieselX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:41 PM   #19

I always make ressies since there are more and more big rigs and many CG have limited long pull thrus I don't want to chance having to drop the toad.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:48 PM   #20

we always make reservations here in the northwest we have book up to 9 months in advance or we wont get a spot in all state camp grounds and its getting as bad in Forest sevvice camp grounds which have no hookups at all. cant just decide to go camping at the last minute anymore.
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote