Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > General Jayco RV Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #1

Where and at what point to fill your TV fuel tank...advice please

We will be heading to Williamsburg, VA (from the Harrisburg, PA area) leaving on July 4th to camp. This is about a 280 mile trip one way, our longest trip with our TT to date.

With our TV, I'll figure an average of about 8-10 mpg. With the 30 gallon tank filled to the top, we'd theoretically be able to make it without stopping for gas, however, because I expect to be in standing traffic possibly on 95 South and almost certainly on 64 East (heading to the beach), I anticipate filling up again somewhere along 95 (South of D.C. somewhere).

I anticipate most stations off these main interstates to be large enough to accommodate TTs. I'm interested in hearing others' ways of deciding which exit to take for gas and how low they allow their fuel tanks to get before filling up again.

Thanks in advance
Honda EU2000i Generator
5arnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:31 PM   #2

How low I let it get depends entirely on where I'm traveling. On the highway in populated areas I'll push it down to 1/8 or lower because diesel is readily available. In the mountains or desert I don't like getting to far past 1/2 tank, and on those trips I'll throw a 5 gal portable tank in the truck just in case.

As for where, I like to use to large truck stop stations when available, otherwise I look for a station with pumps parallel to the street. They are much easier for me to get in and out of.

I also use "Gas Buddy" app when lots of options are available and I want to see the fuel price variation. Just recently though I paid .25/gal more because the station was laid out much better to pull my trailer through than lower price shop accriss the street. So price isn't always the end all factor, but a factor none the less.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:40 AM   #3

I have a 100 gallon tank in the bed, plus the factory tank... So I dont stop very often.

If your comfortable at all with towing a trailer you can get in and out of about any fuel stop off the hwy. It really depends on your abilitys to pull your trailer.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:18 AM   #4

When we're down to a quarter of a tank I will refuel. If traveling on Interstates, gas station access shouldn't be much of an issue, either into the pumps or vertical clearance. Many convenience store chains have locations on interchanges, and their fuel prices tend to be less than the travel centers (Love's, Flying J, & Pilot, TA). I avoid them unless that's all there is when I need fuel.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:39 AM   #5

I generally start looking when the gauge reads 1/2 full and that generally coincides with wanting to stretch our legs for a few minutes.

We have a gas TV and looking for truck stops usually doesn't help as the gas pump layout is seldom better than at other stations. I tend to make sure to fill up before going through larger cities because the stations are busier and the maneuvering tends to be more difficult. While I use gas buddy and look for better prices, I've pulled into higher priced stations many times simply because they were easier to get in and out of.

You will quickly get to know your trailer and where you can and can't take it.

John & Nancy
Jay Feather 25Z 2007
Ford F-150 XLT 5.4 Triton 2008
TeamFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:13 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

When I get close to 1/4 tank I start looking for a gas station that is advertised ahead of time and I can see their sign before leaving the highway.
Most gas stations on the highway have clearance for TT's.

In the rare case I am in the dessert or remote parts of the states, then I'll fill up at 1/2 tank.

Filling up outside of major cities is also a good idea as stated previously.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #7

I try to fill up at the Pilot/Flying J stations as they have room at the pumps for my rig and a dump station if I need it. I use my Flying J / GoodSam charge card and get a discount... I usually fill up at the 3/4 empty mark.. just depends on the road and where the next station is..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #8

When coming down to Williamsburg you can avoid DC by taking I81 down to Winchester and take Rte 17 from there into Fredericksburg. You totally miss DC and it is good road to drive on. Just be careful and watch the signs. You will go on I66 for 2 exits and then get off going to Warrenton, Va. After Warrenton you must make a left turn about 8 miles down the road. Fredericksburg is a little crowded but nothing like DC. Then to get around Richmond take I295 to I64 and you have just the road to Williamsburg to travel. Good luck.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #9

I use Gas Buddy before a trip using the 'fuel my trip calculator', I enter my vehicle tank size which is 35 gallons, then the fuel mileage I enter at 11 city and 11 hwy. It will calculate where to stop according to the fuel prices. Sometimes it will recommend driving till I need 33 gallons, to counter this, I change the tank size to 30, this always gives me 5 gallons leeway as per their calculations.

As with any trip, I only use this as a guide, I will fill when needed, and I use Gasbuddy on my phone to check the local prices and usually get the best price.

Best bet, just know your limits and make sure you have plenty of fuel to get around once you are at your destination.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #10

I start looking for gas at 1/4 tank. This has worked real well for me, I've never ran out of gas using this method. Gasbuddy is an excellent app for your phone but even when you get to the "desired" gas station keep out for other prices. I just reciently made a trip from Las Vegas and used the Gasbuddy and there were two stations that were not even listed with gas prices about .20 cent a gallon cheaper than the gas stations listed right across the highway. Needless to say where we got our gas.
E&J push'n wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #11

I was always warned to not let the tank get too low as the fuel cools the fuel pump so running on E risks burning the pump out prematurely. But I'm not fanatical about it so I usually fill up around 1/2 a tank so the wife doesn't remind me about how the fuel cools the fuel pump... something something... words words...
Old 07-05-2013, 01:54 AM   #12

I usually start looking when I get down to a 1/4 of a tank of fuel.
We do frequent truck stops as they are typically easier to get in and out of and when using the truck lanes, those pumps are FAST !!!!
The truck stops are usually faster during the summer or holiday season with a lot of drivers on the road clogging up the auto lanes and blocking the Diesel pump while they take the kids to the bathroom.
Have thought about adding an Aux Tank for more capacity (our factory tank is 36 Gal), but hard to justify the expense as it is usually no big deal to stop and get fuel, use the bathroom, let the puppy dog Pee Pee and get something to drink every 250 to 300 miles.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
I try to fill up at the Pilot/Flying J stations as they have room at the pumps for my rig and a dump station if I need it. I use my Flying J / GoodSam charge card and get a discount... I usually fill up at the 3/4 empty mark.. just depends on the road and where the next station is..
X2 Most Flying J have a parking area for rvs so that after filling up you can park and go inside for a potty stop and get something to drink. They can be a little higher in price for my diesel truck but the convenience is nice.
Don
Donr827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #14

I've been in a number of small towns where I had to pull up to the pump and then reverse out the same way in because there wasn't enough room to pull thru. It was mentioned earlier that the outside pumps tend to be a little easier to fuel at.
I start looking around an eight of a tank when coming into a town and about a quarter of a tank outside of one unless I'm off the beaten path. Than it's time for the map or co-pilot gps which lets me know.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote