Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

View Poll Results: Where does your drinking water come from.
The onboard holding tank 35 32.41%
Bottled water 73 67.59%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2015, 06:05 PM   #21

If you know all the camp grounds you'll stay at and where they get their water is from great, don't sweat it. We go all over the place and don't always stay in state parks, so we cannot be sure that the quaint little camp ground we are in has a good well with properly maintained equipment. So better safe than a ruined trip.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:29 PM   #22

Over 40 years now drinking from the tap and I still have hair on my chest and head. I still have a fire in the furnace too with no help.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:41 PM   #23

We sanitize TT water system once a year in the spring as part of dewinterising. We mostly stay in state parks, so consider the water safe.

Will get a Walmart filter for outside connection if we do extensive travel.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:41 PM   #24

We use water out of the cg tap. We do have a filter on it. Oh... And btw... When I was a little boy I drank water straight from the hose
Old 05-01-2015, 06:58 PM   #25

We use bottled water for drinking. Cooking we use campgroung water. I do not know if campgroung water is tested like city water is.

Hayman
hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:03 PM   #26

Having had a potable water license before retirement, might still be valid for another year, I must say that any water supply supplied to the public must meet certain standards. Water from different areas might have an off taste, but that's the way it goes, at least it will not poison you. Bottled water has no controls over it. You could be drinking anything in it, but they wouldn't stay in business if they supply bad water. BUT they are not regulated like public water supplies.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:04 PM   #27

We use bottled water by the gallon for coffee and drinking. CG water for everything else. Issue isn't safety of CG water but inconsistent taste and smell from one site to the next.
yellowdog00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:30 PM   #28

For drinking water I use a Berkey Royal water filter. You can take a pail of water from a mud puddle and turn it into pure drinking water. I had some creek water tested and it showed up perfect with only a slightly higher (but still safe) level of zinc. Which is not to say I live on creek water. I still try to get water from a spigot, but have that option. The water from my fresh water tank is only for showers and washing dishes...Berkey water for rinsing.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:24 AM   #29

I sanitize my FW system twice a year, rinse it 3-5 times to remove the bleach taste & smell. I carry 2 5-gallon jugs of filtered water for travel flushing/washing/drinking. When I get to the campground, I fill the tanks, using a blue filter on the hose. Then, I use the campground water for everything.

That being said, at some state parks, I have noticed quite a bit of silt in the water or a "rusty well" taste, so I use my "travel water" for drinking, coffee, and for the dog.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:41 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Over 40 years now drinking from the tap and I still have hair on my chest and head. I still have a fire in the furnace too with no help.
So you are saying that the water doesn't have anything to do with baldness...

Shoot, thought we had a solution there for a minute.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:00 AM   #31

I plan on getting one of the portable water softeners. I find that most water supplies are very hard water, Not good for any kind of water heater. A $250 filter is a lot cheaper than a new water heater. I'll still use a sediment/taste filter before the softener.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:28 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmooney View Post
So you are saying that the water doesn't have anything to do with baldness...

Shoot, thought we had a solution there for a minute.

LoL, that was a good one.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:48 AM   #33

This is my filtered water setup and going on 2 years now. The bracket as you can see is mounted on the WH door/ with a back-up plate. That hose loop is 4' long and I got it from Campworld .
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-02-2015, 11:25 AM   #34

I use the on board water system just as I use water at home. I do properly sanitize and maintain the camper water system. ALL water entering the camper goes through a blue Camco filter.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:32 PM   #35

Send a message via Yahoo to Skyron
Where do you get your drinking water from?

If there are concerns we buy drinking water or boil the tap water for 3 minutes.
A health inspector advised me when dishes and cutlery have even just air dried after washing with hot water and detergent harmful bacteria is no longer a threat to health and safety.
Skyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:34 PM   #36

Needed to be a multiple choice poll. We use the holding tank to brush teeth, wash dishes, make coffee etc if we fill up at home with municipal water. My wife is sensitive to water with sulfur so we have to be careful. If we are at the campground using their water, we use it the same, except for coffee we use bottled water (for the DW). We also bring bottled water for drinking out at the fire or in the car sometimes and also have Nalgene bottles that I fill from the TT. So we use all combinations.

I sanitize a few times a year especially if the TT has been stored for a while between trips.

2014 Whitehawk 33BHBS
Equilizer WDH
2023 F350 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7l 3.31
2014 F250 4X4 Crew Cab 6.2 l 3.73 (sold)
2010 F150 4X4 Supercrew 4.6l 3.73 (traded in)
t2daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:04 PM   #37

Typical we drink the cg water. We have been places where the water was so bad we have gone to get bottle water.

We sanitize the system once or twice a year. If we get into a place with bad tasting water, I will flush the system when we get home.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:05 AM   #38

I use water from my onboard system just like I would in a s&b. I do have a particulate and also charcoal filter inline, but I see no reason to buy bottled water. Besides, the latest survey I read says the plastic in the bottles causes cancer. Of course I will be dead from breathing camp ground air before the water bottles get me!

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:13 AM   #39

A few years ago, my Army reserve unit performed annual training outside Mineral Wells, TX. Our supply folks went to fill the water buffalo at a county bulk water supply point than hadn't been used for a while and after some water quality test, they determined the bacterial count in the water was too high for safe use. We had to buy a pallet of water from the local Wal Mart to use instead.

I usually don't question CG water but at the beginning of the season, it's not uncommon to get some "iffy" looking water out of the spigot when the lines haven't been used over the winter.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:13 AM   #40

Until recently we used to bring at least 5 one-gallon bottles of water for drinking and cooking on each trip because we could and didn't really feel fully confident drinking either the CG or on-board supplies. We now use a Berkey water filter system https://www.berkeyfilters.com/berkey-water-filters/ and love it. No more hauling around drinking water bottles! Since it's just the two of us and three dogs, the size of the Berkey 'Travel' system works well for us with a small footprint. A simple gravity drip system with no moving parts that we can also use at home after the trip ends. Great solution for safety, taste, and peace of mind.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote