Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

View Poll Results: Where does your drinking water come from.
The onboard holding tank 35 32.41%
Bottled water 73 67.59%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2017, 07:56 AM   #61

I voted onboard holding tank, but I have to clarify that my straight drinking water goes through my britta first. I make ice with, cook with, wash dishes, take a shower with, brush teeth with the holding tank water so I cant how you can avoid a bacteria/germ problem if you have one by avoiding only drinking the water...you are exposed in SO many other ways.

That being said, during the summer, we are out almost every other weekend to every third weekend. When it is at home, I leave some water in the fresh tank, make sure the lines have water in them and then turn off the pump. With solid water in the lines, I dont really have to worry about germs forming in the lines. Then with the tank, I fully dump it before we leave and refill it with new water every trip. This way I try to remove most of the "stale" water from the system. Then turn on the pump or go to city fixtures after I am done filling at the house and just flush the lines real quick before we go. I have never had "bad" water using this method.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:08 AM   #62

I use my onboard tank with 2 turkey full tube not the squeeze ball part turkey basters of 10% bleach. Sometimes towards the end of tank the water is bleachy, as I believe bleach and water density must be much different and they separate.

Anyways when its bleachy scent we fill we just 1 baster on that occasion. I also have a 35 gallon tank for my pickup truck that I pick up treated city water and fill tank sometimes, but not much cause I hate running a pump to get it out of tank on truck and into trailer storage. But that helps rinse the bleachy well water thru so I do it once every 6-8 fills.

We use Primo drinking water 32 cents a gallon and just refill 12-16 gallons to use for drinking, koolaid, coffee, and pet water. Store that in basement(under bed) in boxes that fit 4 per and use those to transport. I got the boxes at Aldi.

Been working out great so far!!!
Kidd280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:12 AM   #63

Bottled vs. tap water

I buy gallon jugs of water for 88 cents and use them to refill the ice cube trays, reusable bottles we take hiking, kayaking, and bicycling, and for drinking and making coffee. I use the CG tank water for washing dishes in very hot water with Dawn, and for brushing my teeth and washing my hands. I also bring filtered water from home in reusable bottles to start the trip (and when I evacuated before Hurricane Irma, for drinking water for the cats). I use a filtered pressure gauge between the CG spigot and RV tank because I, too, don't trust water sitting in a tank. As a newbie who's owned my first RV since March 2017, I plan to sanitize the tank on the anniversary of purchase, especially since we live in Florida where bacteria grows on anything that isn't moving.
susan34982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:37 AM   #64

We have a five gallon Igloo Water Jug that I fill with a 20-pound bag of ice on the way to the campground. As it melts, that's normally our drinking water for the trip. If we're out for more than a weekend, we may have to buy another bag of ice.

I hope all you bottled water users are good stewards of the environment and either re-use or recycle all those plastic bottles. I just cringe when I see all those plastic bottles getting thrown in the dumpster.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:09 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSA75 View Post
I hope all you bottled water users are good stewards of the environment and either re-use or recycle all those plastic bottles. I just cringe when I see all those plastic bottles getting thrown in the dumpster.
Excellent point! My DW is also an advocate of recycling. We use refillable water containers for our drinking water needs.
NCMFFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:26 AM   #66

I keep two containers in the RV--one for garbage and one for recycling. Irecycle the jugs (along with everything else we use that is recyclable). If the CG doesn't have a recycling bin, I bring it all home and recycle it.

I keep a 1 liter bottle on the counter and refill it from the jugs since it's easier to handle and takes up less room on the counter. After each trip I recycle the 1 liter bottle and start with a new one to avoid chemical leaching from the plastic degrading. Think I'll switch to a large reusable bottle instead and save some plastic trees.

I like the idea of a 5- or 10-gallon Igloo water container with bags of ice. Smart solution, I'll go buy one today along with either a Brita or Pur water filter for the kitchen sink faucet. If I can't wait for the ice to melt, perhaps I'll fill the Igloo 1/4 with water from the filtered water at home, then add the ice.
susan34982 is offline   Reply With Quote