Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-23-2017, 10:46 AM   #1

Where Do You Get Your Firewood

We do property management trim trees almost all year in Phoenix.Lucky have not bought a stick in 20 years! Happy Thanksgiving All
Attached Thumbnails
100_0357.1584.jpg  

bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:51 AM   #2

A little over 100 acres here. Never buy it. Getting a little lazy about cutting it, but it is there when needed.

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:13 AM   #3

Tree falls in the yard or someone giving it away. I try not to buy wood for fireplace anymore than I have to.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2017, 11:52 AM   #4

Most of our camping is here on the East Side of the US and it is getting harder and harder to transport you own firewood into the camp sites... Most all have large signs at the entry points saying outside firewood is prohibited.

Google image

With this in mind I usually only carry enough wood for my first fire and then have to buy firewood from the local camp site or surrounding close by towns.

The Blue Ridge Parkway requires firewood to be bundled and certified if brought into the park, or campers may also collect dead and down wood from within the park.

Two type of insects being the Emerald Ash Borer and Gypsy Moth are really doing a number on the Natl Forest areas around here. My last trip to the Smoky Mtns around Gatlingburg TN just makes you want to cry when you get up inside the Natl parks at their highest points. Trees are dead as far as you can see...

You are kinda at the mercy of the local firewood sellers here as if I could not have my beloved camp fires I probably would really cut back big time on my camping.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:32 PM   #5

Restrictions on moving Firewood in the North East are fairly strict, and moving it across the US/Canada border is near impossible. For our favorite sites we have found good sources of safe local well seasoned wood.

In Ontario, the provincial parks system processes its own wood, and it's usually not too bad early season (prior year wood), but by mid-season it's usually green as can be. Last year's batch was so bad that I thought about shipping some out west to be dumped on the wildfires. The stuff wouldn't burn with a blow torch on it. I do get some bags of the wet wood to mix in with the dry as it does extend the burn time of a really hot fire.

In Upper NYS (Adirondacks) there are tons of folks selling wood from the end of their driveways. I have a favorite just outside Tupper Lake; his price looks steep until you realize his cube is twice the size of others. It's super cheap, and really good dry wood, although nothing beats the convenience of our favorite state park where a contractor drives through once a day delivering wood (and ice) directly to your site; now that's service!
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:54 PM   #6
Site Team

Yes due to the emerald ash borer we cannot bring in firewood and must pay 6.00 for 6 sticks of wood. That's sticks, not logs lol. If you like a good hot fire on these long chilly nights the firewood would cost more then the camp ground fee. I understand the insect problem but unclear how effective the containment policies are.Logging trucks are hauling fresh cut timber up and down the same roads the campgrounds are on so......I dunno.. Also if you will not let me bring in firewood please provide an affordable alternative if practical.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:56 PM   #7

We are lucky when we camp in the northern part of the state which has many saw mills, can fill a pickup with slabs for $25. The state parks firewood is a ripoff, $6 for a 12 inch log split into six pieces, go broke having fires
Sundancer330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:27 PM   #8

I cut ours off of our property as needed, but I’m getting like Midnightmoon. I get tired of cutting it. Thinking of going with a wood pellet outfit for Camping and leave the round and split logs for the fire pit at home.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
I cut ours off of our property as needed, but Im getting like Midnightmoon. I get tired of cutting it. Thinking of going with a wood pellet outfit for Camping and leave the round and split logs for the fire pit at home.
Are you thinking of something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O40ER0G...a-273460047802

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
In Upper NYS (Adirondacks) there are tons of folks selling wood from the end of their driveways. I have a favorite just outside Tupper Lake; his price looks steep until you realize his cube is twice the size of others. It's super cheap, and really good dry wood, although nothing beats the convenience of our favorite state park where a contractor drives through once a day delivering wood (and ice) directly to your site; now that's service!
I think I know that guy, on the left side as you enter the town on the 30. down the gravel driveway.

when we go to fish creek pond (as a group) we buy the 1/4 or 1/2 cord. very reasonable priced

in Vermont (grand isle) the state park sells a wheel barrow full for $20 or $30. and you get to pick the logs and pack the wheel barrow! and I know how to pack it tight.

Paul

pgartner is offline   Reply With Quote