Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-23-2017, 10:46 AM   #1

Where Do You Get Your Firewood

We do property management trim trees almost all year in Phoenix.Lucky have not bought a stick in 20 years! Happy Thanksgiving All
Attached Thumbnails
100_0357.1584.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:51 AM   #2
Site Team

A little over 100 acres here. Never buy it. Getting a little lazy about cutting it, but it is there when needed.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:13 AM   #3

Tree falls in the yard or someone giving it away. I try not to buy wood for fireplace anymore than I have to.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2017, 11:52 AM   #4

Most of our camping is here on the East Side of the US and it is getting harder and harder to transport you own firewood into the camp sites... Most all have large signs at the entry points saying outside firewood is prohibited.

Google image

With this in mind I usually only carry enough wood for my first fire and then have to buy firewood from the local camp site or surrounding close by towns.

The Blue Ridge Parkway requires firewood to be bundled and certified if brought into the park, or campers may also collect dead and down wood from within the park.

Two type of insects being the Emerald Ash Borer and Gypsy Moth are really doing a number on the Natl Forest areas around here. My last trip to the Smoky Mtns around Gatlingburg TN just makes you want to cry when you get up inside the Natl parks at their highest points. Trees are dead as far as you can see...

You are kinda at the mercy of the local firewood sellers here as if I could not have my beloved camp fires I probably would really cut back big time on my camping.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:32 PM   #5

Restrictions on moving Firewood in the North East are fairly strict, and moving it across the US/Canada border is near impossible. For our favorite sites we have found good sources of safe local well seasoned wood.

In Ontario, the provincial parks system processes its own wood, and it's usually not too bad early season (prior year wood), but by mid-season it's usually green as can be. Last year's batch was so bad that I thought about shipping some out west to be dumped on the wildfires. The stuff wouldn't burn with a blow torch on it. I do get some bags of the wet wood to mix in with the dry as it does extend the burn time of a really hot fire.

In Upper NYS (Adirondacks) there are tons of folks selling wood from the end of their driveways. I have a favorite just outside Tupper Lake; his price looks steep until you realize his cube is twice the size of others. It's super cheap, and really good dry wood, although nothing beats the convenience of our favorite state park where a contractor drives through once a day delivering wood (and ice) directly to your site; now that's service!
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:54 PM   #6
Site Team

Yes due to the emerald ash borer we cannot bring in firewood and must pay 6.00 for 6 sticks of wood. That's sticks, not logs lol. If you like a good hot fire on these long chilly nights the firewood would cost more then the camp ground fee. I understand the insect problem but unclear how effective the containment policies are.Logging trucks are hauling fresh cut timber up and down the same roads the campgrounds are on so......I dunno.. Also if you will not let me bring in firewood please provide an affordable alternative if practical.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:56 PM   #7

We are lucky when we camp in the northern part of the state which has many saw mills, can fill a pickup with slabs for $25. The state parks firewood is a ripoff, $6 for a 12 inch log split into six pieces, go broke having fires
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:27 PM   #8

I cut ours off of our property as needed, but I’m getting like Midnightmoon. I get tired of cutting it. Thinking of going with a wood pellet outfit for Camping and leave the round and split logs for the fire pit at home.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:46 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
I cut ours off of our property as needed, but I’m getting like Midnightmoon. I get tired of cutting it. Thinking of going with a wood pellet outfit for Camping and leave the round and split logs for the fire pit at home.
Are you thinking of something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O40ER0G...a-273460047802
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
In Upper NYS (Adirondacks) there are tons of folks selling wood from the end of their driveways. I have a favorite just outside Tupper Lake; his price looks steep until you realize his cube is twice the size of others. It's super cheap, and really good dry wood, although nothing beats the convenience of our favorite state park where a contractor drives through once a day delivering wood (and ice) directly to your site; now that's service!
I think I know that guy, on the left side as you enter the town on the 30. down the gravel driveway.

when we go to fish creek pond (as a group) we buy the 1/4 or 1/2 cord. very reasonable priced

in Vermont (grand isle) the state park sells a wheel barrow full for $20 or $30. and you get to pick the logs and pack the wheel barrow! and I know how to pack it tight.

Paul
pgartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
We do property management trim trees almost all year in Phoenix.Lucky have not bought a stick in 20 years! Happy Thanksgiving All
Nothing like a good "feed - log" type of fire. Our style out in the west.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Are you thinking of something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O40ER0G...a-273460047802
Pretty much. Seems like something that would serve the purpose and eliminate having to carry a bunch of cut wood in the bed of the truck, which eats up a lot of space.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:20 AM   #13
Site Team

Some state parks do not allow you to pick up dead wood and some don't let you bring it at all, some restrict bringing it from out of state, (don't know how they enforce that)

We are flexible enough to get by. Many local places around campgrounds sell local firewood , some a rip off and some a fair price, you decide.

My pet peeve is the cg owner who won't allow in in because he wants you to buy it from him.

No matter, A country boy will survive if you know what I mean.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:52 AM   #14

I heat my home primarily with wood that I pull from my own property. But like others have said you can no longer move firewood here in NY without carrying a form and even then only 50 miles or less. I hate paying for wood at the campgrounds after my hard work at home. Usually some one locally is selling it near the campgrounds for far less than in the campground.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:53 PM   #15

We burn wood at our house in the winter. I use Craigslist of my wife watches Facebook for people getting trees taken down. When we camp close, we bring our own firewood. My FIL is a contractor, so he usually saves his demo 2x4 and 2x6 material and cuts them down to 18" lengths. If we are traveling far from home, or to a place that refuses to allow outside wood, he brings that. It's kiln dried, so they can't really argue against it for insect purposes.

I agree with Crabman though... if I Can't bring firewood to your park, give me a REASONABLE option. $6-$10 for a couple pieces of kindling is absurd! I've got plenty of insect free, solid hardwood for FREE in my backyard right now... about 4+ cords. I'll take the chance on getting caught before paying $10 for kindling. Its almost cheaper to burn dollar bills than this firewood.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:11 PM   #16

Years ago, (keep in mind, I'm old so everything happen to me "years ago"!) I saw a young lad with a baby raccoon. I ask; "Where did you get that raccoon?" The lad looked at me with a puzzled look and answered; "From a tree."

I was tempted to give the same answer to this question.

The usual campground we go to is a State Park. They allow one to harvest the deadwood for use in the campfire. When I go there, I gather it.

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 02:58 PM   #17

In WI we can't transport wood more than 25 miles. Most places near where we camp there are people who sell wood fairly reasonable at the end of their driveways or the end of a field along the highway. Especially with state parks. Occasionally we have to choice but to buy it from the campground.

We cook over our fires and do go through a fair amount of wood. We're willing to spend the money, its just part of our trip.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 03:01 PM   #18

I have an expedition so no one sees my firewood.
I have a friend that has a tree service. He gives me all the wood I want.
I take my own. What campgrounds charge for wood is ridiculous.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 09:38 AM   #19

When the wood pole starts getting low I just start watching Craigslist. There always seems to be some one looking to get rid of a tree they have cut down.
Cranetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
I have an expedition so no one sees my firewood.
I have a friend that has a tree service. He gives me all the wood I want.
I take my own. What campgrounds charge for wood is ridiculous.
Different notes, but same tune. I have a friend who owns a sawmill. I pull in with my utility trailer and he loads it with "culled" logs that are too bent or for what ever reason they can't cut lumber from them. He only brings me oak and hickory. I heated for several years with a whole house wood burning stove. When that stopped being fun I stopped cutting so much wood but still can get all that I need and keep 3 or 4 ricks stockpiled at any time.

On our lake, the COE introduced a new reg earlier this year that restricted purchase or possession of firewood that was not heat treated and tattooed to reflect that it was OK. Problem is local folks around here all have creations of their own wood [its a heavily forest rural area] AND it seems no one ever started carrying the treated wood so there is no where to buy it.

I still see fires on the shoreline. Hmmmmm!
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote