Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #1

Where have you been in 2012?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Our Unit at Last Resort Campground, Nashville, IN.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	5841[ATTACH][/ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	Our Unit at Camp Lakewood, Effingham, IL.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	5842Click image for larger version

Name:	Our Unit at Corbin KOA, Corbin, Kentucky.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	5843[ATTACH][/ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	Our Unit at Follow the River RV Resort, Vevay, Indiana.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	5844[ATTACH][/ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	Our Unit at Oak Lake Campground, Roselawn, Ind.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	5845Click image for larger version

Name:	Our Unit at River Plantation Campground, Sevierville, TN.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	5846Click image for larger version

Name:	Our Unit at Woods and Water, Columbus, Indiana.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	5847

OK, for all of us that can't go south for the winter, where have you been this year? We bought our trailer new in April, and in June when the wife retired, we took some extended trips. Been to a lot of new places this year, hope to go to alot more in 2013. What did you learn about your new Jayco? I learned that there are two fresh water tanks that have to equalize before it will pump water to the kitchen sink. And that it IS NOT a good idea to crack open the potty when the hose is hooked up to the black water flush. Is your tow vehicle big enough? In my case, yes. Any major problems with your trailer or tow vehicle? In my case, yes again. After over 100,000 miles, pulling three different trailers all over the United States, my "Moose Truck" torque converter started to "shudder" when pulling hills. A new ATS Transmission and torque converter was in order. The wife did say we should get a new truck, but I just can't turn loose of Moose Truck.

We have been camping for over 20 years, and this is the first trailer that I really feel "at home" in. Lots of room. So, let's here your stories? Where do you want to go in 2013?

Regards,

Rick "Grumpy" Bond
2004 Dodge 2500
2012 Jayco Eagle 330RLTS
NRA Endowment Member
VFW Life Member
Grumpytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:20 AM   #2

Rick, nice pics and sharp looking trailer. We had a fantastic summer. Started out in southern BC. and spent a week in Wa. State where I slipped off a log while hiking and broke T 2,3 and 4 in my lower back. Back to B.C. to convalesce for 8 days than down thru Wa, Ore. and to the middle of California. My insurance company just sent me a copy of the 3500 dollar bill they paid to Morten Genral Hospital. I think the doctors fee was the lowest at 130 dollars. We love traveling in the US. We have met so many kind people on our travels. I am filling out my retirement papers now and my wife has one year to go and than we will be snow birds. We love our Jayco. It is our second trailer.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
Rick, nice pics and sharp looking trailer. We had a fantastic summer. Started out in southern BC. and spent a week in Wa. State where I slipped off a log while hiking and broke T 2,3 and 4 in my lower back. Back to B.C. to convalesce for 8 days than down thru Wa, Ore. and to the middle of California.
OUCH! Man, that had to hurt. I sure hope you are OK now.

I was stationed at Ft. Lewis, Washington. I'm guessing that you drove past it a couple of times.

I don't know if we would ever go south for the winter. I sort of enjoy the changing seasons. Of course, until it snows for the first time, then I'll be ready to go south!!!

Regards,

Rick "Grumpy" Bond
2004 Dodge 2500
2012 Jayco Eagle 330RLTS
NRA Endowment Member
VFW Life Member
Old 12-08-2012, 06:57 AM   #4

Great Post Rick, looks like some wonderful adventures!!
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #5

We also have had a wonderful 2012 camping with our TT.

Here are the towns or c/g we stayed at:

Mar 6-8 Tubac, AZ

Apr 10-12 Bisbee, AZ
Apr 28-May 28 Corpus Christi, TX; Laguna Shores RV Park

Jun 12-13 Clarksdale, AZ; DeadHorse SP

Jul 1-2 Wood Canyon Lk, Aspen NP
Jul 30 Goulding, UT
Jul 31 Moab, UT

Aug
1 Price Canyon Rec cg, UT
2 Willard SP, UT
3 Wallcott Lk SP, UT
4-8 Ketchum, ID; Meadows RV Pk
9 Immigrant SP, OR
10 Timber Lk RV Pk, WA
11-13 Hood River, OR; Bridge RV Pk, WA
14-16 Olympia, WA; Olympia cg
17-21 Seattle, WA; Lk Pleasant RV Pk
22 Hood River, OR; Bridge RV Pk, WA
23 Lake View, Hunter RV Pk, OR
24 Hickison Petroglyph BLM cg, Nev
25 Cedar City, UT; KOA

Sep 30-Oct 23, Corpus Christi, TX; Laguna Shores RV pk

TT issues:
tires, battery/converter, AC leaking water
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #6

Besides our normal Pennsylvania weekend camping trips, my wife (then fiance) and I saved up our vacation and did 3 weeks out in Colorado & Utah. We drove from NJ, did a mad dash across the states to reach Colorado Springs in 2.5 days in time to get our marriage license. Got married in the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs. Our honeymoon consisted of sight seeing and mountain biking in:

Colorado Springs, CO
Salida, CO
Durango, CO
Moab, Utah
Fruita, CO
Golden, CO
Brown County, Indiana

We had a blast! We did a similar trip 2 years ago in our pop-up. This time we had a better plan and we were able to hit a lot more locations. We carried all our stuff for 3 weeks, plus 4 mountain bikes and gear all in our Honda Pilot and X17Z. We love that TV and camper combo!
Allamuchy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Where have you been in 2012?
Only camped 5 nights this year.
DW and I have been working extra hours, putting funds away for later years.

We bought a new-to-us trailer the Friday after Thanksgiving. So, you know how it is with new things. We'll be camping more after the 1st of the year.

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ, CC, 4X4
2005 Jayco Talon ZX24-E Toy Hauler(SOLD).
2017 Forest River Hyper Lite XLR
Prodigy P2 Brake Control
12K Husky Straight Line WD Hitch
chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

We camped all year in our Coleman Popup.
June 23 days touring PA.
Started out in Ohio Pyles
Then when to KOA in Omish country, made a side trip to Gettysberg.
Then off a couple hours to the North to the Grand Cayon of PA
Finally spend 4 days in Northwest part of PA.
All in all a great state to visit.

Otherwise we had 10 days at Versailles State Park, Indiana. Our favorite local CG

Did a one day trip up to Hocking Hills, Ohio

Bought our 165 Sport at the end of October just in time to service it and store it for the winter.

Renting a house in Cape Coral for the month of January in Cape Coral, Fl (no CG's anywhere insight until April)

April, we're planning on taking our new TT out for a weekend test run and then off to the West.
1st stop Memphis, then New Mexico, Arizona and into Yosemite.

Then over to Santa Barbara and up the coastline to Cambria and whatever we can discover.

Doug

Versailles State Park, In

Name:	DSC01770.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	5855

Ohio Pyles, PA

Name:	DSC01817.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	5856

Omish Country

Name:	DSC01859.jpg
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	5857

Gettysberg

Name:	DSC01901.jpg
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	5858

Grand Canyon of PA (Wellsburo)

Name:	DSC01955.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	5859

Allengany National Forrest (KOA)

Name:	DSC01972.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	5860

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #9

We stayed close to home this year, learning our new HTT. We had over 30 nights out with it. Every trip has been great. Absolutely no major issues, most if not all I could have dealt with but being the TT has a good warranty and we are not too far from the deal, I have just let the dealer deal with it.

Wish we were retired or had a LOT more vacation as I would like to spend some serious time out west.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:52 PM   #10

Doug,

I should of waved when we went to Follow the River RV Resort!!! Nice campground.

I'm hoping for a trip to either Florida, Chattanooga, or Mobil, Alabama this spring. The wife wants to go to Vernal, Utah. So, we may do that, too.

Glad to here so many people enjoyed their trailers last year.

Safe Travels in 2013,

Rick "Grumpy" Bond
2004 Dodge 2500
2012 Jayco Eagle 330RLTS
NRA Endowment Member
VFW Life Member
Old 12-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #11

Well, I didn't use my TT last winter, but went to Moab, UT (from my house in Kansas) for a month or so in May and June. In early July I pulled the ol' Jayco up to Seattle, stayed a couple of weeks and left it there, driving back to Kansas. I rented a U-haul and hauled all my possessions back up to WA and made it my new state of domocile - no state income tax, and vehicle/TT registration is reasonable compared to Kansas.

I've been full timing since August 1 in the Seattle area. Drove around the peninsula a couple of times and stayed in a few campgrounds (and Walmarts, haha), then found a nice RV park in Bothell, WA, which is near where my son and his wife live. I spent the last month at Lake Pleasant RV park ($425 + elect. per month). I was getting tired of all the rain and the chill in the air, so I'm now on my way south for the winter.

I just parked for the night at the Oakridge rest stop, on I-5 just south of Eugene, OR. Tomorrow I'll hit California, primary destination being Death Valley. Plan to stay there for a month or so, then try out Slab City for a while.

Next spring I'll probably head up to Kansas from my snowbirding in the southwest. I still have two houses there I'm trying to sell, and one needs some work. Then I'll go back to Seattle in June to enjoy the nice summer temperatures. And then come November or December, back south.

Bill
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allamuchy Joe View Post
Besides our normal Pennsylvania weekend camping trips, my wife (then fiance) and I saved up our vacation and did 3 weeks out in Colorado & Utah. Colorado Springs, CO Brown County, IndianaWe had a blast!
Where in Brown County, Indiana did you stay? We were at The Last Resort Campground, which is an old KOA. We have stayed at Brown County State Park, too. It seems as I get older, the more of the comforts that I want!!!!

Rick "Grumpy" Bond
2004 Dodge 2500
2012 Jayco Eagle 330RLTS
NRA Endowment Member
VFW Life Member
Old 12-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #13

We had two long trips one to Middlebury Indiana went to Shipshewana and the Jayco Factory (no we did not go for the Amish we live close to Amish country in OH). Second trip to Sauble Beach Ont. great trip. But had trouble with the 96 Dodge there and back with a service that did not help. Resulted in different truck. One short trip around home.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpytrkr View Post
OUCH! Man, that had to hurt. I sure hope you are OK now.

I was stationed at Ft. Lewis, Washington. I'm guessing that you drove past it a couple of times.

I don't know if we would ever go south for the winter. I sort of enjoy the changing seasons. Of course, until it snows for the first time, then I'll be ready to go south!!!

Regards,
It's beautiful in the Lewis area. I was stationed at Hood and Benning. We went to a couple state campgrounds in MI and then had some health issues. Planning on 4-5 trips next summer though.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #15

Greetings JOF folks!! We picked up our new TT in mid-July and unfortunately only got to take it on 3 trips this season. We spent 5 days at the Aloha State Park in Cheboygan, MI. Beautiful park, waterfront campsites, lots of amenities--stunning sunsets!! We spent 4 days at Hartwick Pines State Park in Grayling, MI. Most sites were full hook-up and/or pull-through, beautiful scenery with 100 feet tall Pine trees, nice lakes and the famous AuSable River just minutes away. Excellent, quiet CG!! Then we spent 4 days at the Rifle River State Park in Lupton, MI. Great park, too! Nice view of the lakes, hunting (deer) and fishing, kayaking. Some rustic sites available to boondock, all others are 30A or 50A; no full hook-up sites. All 3 State Parks have miles upon miles of hiking/biking trails, wildlife viewing, and lots to see and do. The folks in this forum from Michigan can back up what I have said. For you folks from outside of Michigan, come and see our State Parks; you will not be disappointed, and we would love to have you visit our great state. Happy Camping!!
pm1stnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm1stnau View Post
Greetings JOF folks!! We picked up our new TT in mid-July and unfortunately only got to take it on 3 trips this season. We spent 5 days at the Aloha State Park in Cheboygan, MI. Beautiful park, waterfront campsites, lots of amenities--stunning sunsets!! We spent 4 days at Hartwick Pines State Park in Grayling, MI. Happy Camping!!
We stayed in Cedar Springs, MI and Covert/West Haven MI on our way to and from Mackinaw City. Had a great time in Mackinaw City. We are all ready planning another trip back up there. I will keep the state parks in mind. I didn't know the state parks in Michigan had full hook-up. We went all the way up to Whitefish Point, UP on a day trip. Gralyn Zoo, too. We had a great time. 2 weeks wasn't long enough for us.

Regards,

Rick "Grumpy" Bond
2004 Dodge 2500
2012 Jayco Eagle 330RLTS
NRA Endowment Member
VFW Life Member
Old 12-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpytrkr View Post
Where in Brown County, Indiana did you stay? We were at The Last Resort Campground, which is an old KOA. We have stayed at Brown County State Park, too. It seems as I get older, the more of the comforts that I want!!!!
We stayed at Brown County SP in one of the electric sites. That was our second time there. It is a really nice park, with some great mountainbiking that was actually featured in a major bike magazine over the summer. We were glad we were able to stop there again on our way home from "out west".
mtn_bikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn_bikers View Post
We stayed at Brown County SP in one of the electric sites. That was our second time there. It is a really nice park, with some great mountainbiking that was actually featured in a major bike magazine over the summer. We were glad we were able to stop there again on our way home from "out west".
Nashville Indiana is a very interesting place. All the small local shops. The only problem was finding a place to park the truck. Parking lots are kind of small. We had a good time, and took a side trip to Columbus, Indiana. My wife was happy because there is a Bob Evans right off I-65. Her favorite place for breakfast.

Rick "Grumpy" Bond
2004 Dodge 2500
2012 Jayco Eagle 330RLTS
NRA Endowment Member
VFW Life Member
Old 12-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod51 View Post
We had two long trips one to Middlebury Indiana went to Shipshewana and the Jayco Factory (no we did not go for the Amish we live close to Amish country in OH). Second trip to Sauble Beach Ont. great trip. But had trouble with the 96 Dodge there and back with a service that did not help. Resulted in different truck. One short trip around home.
I hate having vehicle problems when on a trip. I carry a tool box, and even a 3/4 drive set for the hitch, but some things you just can't fix on the road. When we started through the mountains going to Pigon Forge area, I got the torque converter shutter that comes with a weak torque converter. I'm glad I knew what it was, so when I started up a hill, I could drop the truck out of OD and into direct, and run it that way. Took it easy for 2 1/2 weeks we were gone until I got home and to Schied Diesel. My wife said to buy a new truck, but I just couldn't get rid of Moose Truck. And, while it was in the shop, might as well "turn it up" a bit with some hotter injectors, and other goodies. A couple of years ago, I had some seats put in from Classy Chassy trucks in Valpo, Indiana, and to be honest, I have not found anything more comfortable then those.

Regards,

Rick "Grumpy" Bond
2004 Dodge 2500
2012 Jayco Eagle 330RLTS
NRA Endowment Member
VFW Life Member
Old 12-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm1stnau View Post
Greetings JOF folks!! We picked up our new TT in mid-July and unfortunately only got to take it on 3 trips this season. We spent 5 days at the Aloha State Park in Cheboygan, MI. Beautiful park, waterfront campsites, lots of amenities--stunning sunsets!! We spent 4 days at Hartwick Pines State Park in Grayling, MI. Most sites were full hook-up and/or pull-through, beautiful scenery with 100 feet tall Pine trees, nice lakes and the famous AuSable River just minutes away. Excellent, quiet CG!! Then we spent 4 days at the Rifle River State Park in Lupton, MI. Great park, too! Nice view of the lakes, hunting (deer) and fishing, kayaking. Some rustic sites available to boondock, all others are 30A or 50A; no full hook-up sites. All 3 State Parks have miles upon miles of hiking/biking trails, wildlife viewing, and lots to see and do. The folks in this forum from Michigan can back up what I have said. For you folks from outside of Michigan, come and see our State Parks; you will not be disappointed, and we would love to have you visit our great state. Happy Camping!!
Have you tried Otsego State Park in Grayling? That's my favorite campground in MI and very close to Hartwick.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote