Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-15-2018, 12:27 PM   #41

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexykranjec View Post
This is helpful. We are seriously considering this unit, for the same reasons as you. We only have two girls (5 and 2). Feel like it would be a great fit. How have you found the storage? One of the reasons I really like this one is the larger shower. How have you liked it? Two things I dislike - 1) I wish it had the drawers under the dinette both seats like some other models, but maybe that's a mod we can do, and 2) I wish the awning went all the way to the back to cover the outdoor kitchen...

Also, you mentioned the bed location worked as a couch. What do you mean? I am wondering if this unit is sufficient for hanging those few hours in a storm or when you might want to get away and cool down. Heck, most hotel rooms don't have a bed and a couch, so we're used to chilling on a bed while on vacation. How has that worked for you.
Hi, glad you liked our comments. We have now been out on two trips totaling 3.5 weeks and have another week coming up this Sunday. We love this trailer.
Storage: There is just too much space to put stuff. He is an example of our usuage
[-We find we have too much storage and most doesn't get used. The bed is on gas struts (great that it stays up when open). Its actually easier to load/unload from inside the trailer instead of the smaller outer doors.
-above the bed my wife found plastic airtight bins at Walmart that fit perfectly on the shelf. We have games, art supplies, busy work, school work/books and first aid kit. All easy to get to.
-left of bed is the hanging bar, we used one of the closet shoe rack/shelving things that hang off the bar. This means behind it is additional storage (i can store my Laptop bag (still have to work sometimes )
-to the right of the bed again so much space on the shelves that the top shelf became the bread cupboard
-the dinette has two drawers, while we use the space neither side is full
-under the bunk bed is a massive space, we only use this during travel with our camping chairs, tables, footstools, umbrellas, etc.
-during travel recliners go on the folded down dinette, three kayaks (one 10ft and two yellow kids ones) go on the floor between fridge and dinette. On the floor around the bed goes the outside food plastic drawers and bottled water. Since we typically leave the dinette in the bed position it gives quick storage under it.
**edit** forgot to mention, in the long cupboard beside the dinette and bathroom we added expandable and stack able locker shelves. ***

Larger Shower: we only use the shower outside for a quick rinse. We actually have two plastic three drawer wide bins for the kids clothes and towels (beach and shower different sets) and shoes/boots, beach bags etc. We put fake metal plastic hooks on the walls, great for hanging towels, bathing suites. We also added an expandable shower bar for the back of the shower and hang one of those wide shoe rack things to place toiletries, lotions,etc. Under the sink is plenty of space for TP and wife related non-flushables.

Drawers under dinette: We thought that would be a good hack but after 3 weeks we barely go in there. its mostly long term food storage (think cereal) and pots/pans that are limited use. We actually want to add a door to the cupboard above the dinette as its hard to see/remember what is in there.

Awning: This is my wife's biggest complaint. She fully agrees and said its a next year mod I have to explore. The speakers in the awning is a really cool feature. We never used to have music going but its a nice feature.

Bed/Couch: We do the same. We use our bed as a couch. A few extra pillows including one of those bed pillows (high back with stubby arms (not sure how to describe) work great. The TV is in such a spot that only two sitting at the dinette can really see it, but the bed many can. We have a retro(rasp)-pie with games/movies for those long rainy days. Mostly we just play games on the bed. As I mentioned, we usually leave the dinette down in bed mode. We camp with lots of friends and we take turns taking in each others kids. We have had 6 kids (two on each bed) plus the wife and I and it was no issue at all. Sometimes one of our twins might share the dinette with the youngest one just cause.

Overall - probably clear we love this trailer. One of our friends has the 28+ feet with slide out and while the private bedroom and slide-out couch is nice we never feel cramped in our unit - its 8ft wide vs 7 for the 19BH. Our last trip and this one coming up I am on crutches and no issues space wise to hop around inside with others.

What we wish we knew - how to properly load the fridge/freezer (airflow), that to try to use the TV antenna that there is a little power button behind the tv you need to push, you can set the stereo to only play outside so youngest can nap inside without music blaring, cut a three foot length of water hose and add a funnel to make manual filling easier at the site, the outside LED lights suck - too bright wish we could dim them (project for next year).

Note: it is our first TT, and we bought the camco rhyno pipes. They did not fit in the rear bumper. On the back left the spare tire must be attached too tight so it wont fit all the way. The other side similar it just gets stuck. So we store the fishing rods in there.

It is easy to tow, we use a dodge 2500 (overkill given the weight), nimble enough for a rookie like me to maneuver in the site (even with loud negative comments from my navigator ).

If you have any other questions happy to answer. We find the size perfect for our family of 5. Happy to help
itsaJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:10 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisco Dude View Post
Hello,
My wife and I are trying to decide whether or not to get a larger travel trailer. We currently have a Jayco Jay Feather X17Z. It is small but easy to pull and very easy to get it in and out of pretty much any campsite. We have two boys, ages 3 and 6, and we've been considering getting a bunkhouse to better accommodate everyone as the boys get bigger. The tt we want is 31' overall. My truck will be able to pull it, so that's not a problem, but I am hesitant because right now we can go anywhere we want with the little trailer, and with a larger trailer I'm worried we may not be able to.
I'm apprehensive, not only about driving, turning corners, etc., but getting the longer trailer into sites and even just getting through some of these campgrounds. Although maneuvering/hauling large things isn't entirely new to me, as I grew up on a farm, that was many years ago, and in wide open spaces! So it really comes down to a trade-off between maneuverability versus space, or I guess comfort getting there versus comfort while we're there.

I'm wondering what other people think, what your experiences have been like with larger trailers, and what your advice would be regarding whether to get a larger trailer or stick with the small one.
Thank you!

Your boys still have many years to share the queen size bed being 3 and 6. And when they are too old to share the bed, at least 1 of them will be old enough to sleep in a tent! I have a little larger trailer x23b and a 3 and 8 year old. They do just fine in the tent end by together.
Shades9323 is offline   Reply With Quote